Should we go with Beno or Reyno?

sparkysfriends

Thanks for the feedback.I didnt realize the tram would be so far away.I guess I need to decide what I want...

Ive joined the roll call,but so far,not many people.Maybe it will pick up soon.Thanks again,Dot

Dot- I don't think the Tram is that far away, but the Tram tour takes about 90 minutes or so. That's why it will tack on another 2 hours to your tour time- give or take.. Hope it all works out well for you :)

i also just contacted them both and they both were extremely prompt and VERY FRIENDLY in their responses. The quotes I received were identical ($35 per person). However, Beno was personally booked during our travel time (he offered a back up for us) and Reyno still had availability...so Reyno it is for us. (9/12/06 on the Destiny - - - Will anyone be joining us? - Serene56!!)

we have confirmed with Beno afterall. Turns out reyno was not going to be personally doing our tour either. I do not think that Reyno was intentionally misleading me or anything, but I very much apprecaited Beno's forwardness and honestly. I'll be back in a few weeks after we return to review...

There is a tram ride that takes you above the jumgle and waterfalls...kinda an overview to it all...since Im not into swimming or getting in any of those pools or waterfalls,I would like to do more scenic tours...but,you cant do it all! I guess..:)

• 1 month later...

I was on Beno's tour one week ago today. I sat next to Beno in the front seat. There were two vans on our trip (Beno's and his other driver). Beno was fabulous. He is very outgoing, honest, nice, sincere, you name it. Our tour ended up being about 5 hours long. He'll stop at different places for you if you'd like to take a photograph. He also had an ice chest in the back of the van filled with cold beer and ice water for everyone after the tour. He exceeded my expectations. Best tour guide I've ever had in my life. His tour was the highlight of my cruise. Can't say much for the Carnival Destiny tho. It pretty much sucked. I'll save my comments about the ship for another message board.

I'm sure anyone would have a wonderful time in Dominica with all the enthusiastic tour guides there are, but so far Beno seems to have the most recent reviews so it's good to know he's still doing such a great job. Can't wait till we're with him again in March. This time we've added another couple to our group so we'll get their "new" impressions of Beno and Dominica. I will post a review when I return.

Ok so many people have used both Beno and Reyno and I'm sure both are very nice and will provide a great trip.

I am considering booking with one of them but was just wondering if either are Bonded or Insured to operate as a tour group? :confused:

I know the roads in Dominica can be small and hilly and with all the people that are flocking to this island they can become quite dangerous.

I'm only asking because one of my friends was in a accident on a private tour 5 years ago, (different part of the world), with a Company that was not insured, and they are still paying off their medical bills.

It's Not easy collecting from someone out of the country.

Please check your health insurance as most will not cover you if a tour Company is not bonded or insured.

Ok so many people have used both Beno and Reyno and I'm sure both are very nice and will provide a great trip.

I am considering booking with one of them but was just wondering if either are Bonded or Insured to operate as a tour group? :confused:

I know the roads in Dominica can be small and hilly and with all the people that are flocking to this island they can become quite dangerous.

I'm only asking because one of my friends was in a accident on a private tour 5 years ago, (different part of the world), with a Company that was not insured, and they are still paying off their medical bills.

Please check your health insurance as most will not cover you if a tour Company is not bonded or insured.

I'm not sure because I never asked. I always purchase Travel Insurance to take of anything that "could" happen while on vacation especially since places away from the US have different requirements when it comes to those things. I talk with Reynold quite often (such a great and caring man!) so I will ask him how that is handled in Dominica and if the tour operators are covered for you.

reynotours@hotmail.com just in case you'd like to email him direct.

I don't know about Reyno, but I know for sure that Beno only uses certified drivers (including himself). For a driver to be certified, they must be licensed and insured, among other requirements. He is very serious about this and doesn't take ANYTHING for granted. He's the safest driver I've ever encountered on the many tours I've taken. And with the roads so narrow and twisty in Dominica, that's a really important factor.

Reynold just phoned me in response to my email posing the "bonded and insured" question. He told me that I was right in posting that it works a bit different outside the USA, but that all drivers are licensed and certified Taxi/Tour Operators. Of course, travel insurance is always the best option when traveling outside the USA- I never leave home without it! :)

So, I 2nd Stillfloatin's posting regarding our favorite guides in Dominica. They are always looking out for the safety of their guests and depend on this "record" for their business to continue and be successful.

I gotta agree with Pholter that it's important to self-insure when traveling to other countries because you just never know. We were very lucky when we used Beno because at the time, we didn't know to ask about certification and it was fortunate for us that he was certified and insured.

If you use someone other than a recommended driver, I would strongly advise you to check their credentials because Beno said not ALL drivers are certified and that with the growing tourist industry in such an undeveloped (read "unspoiled) island, many drivers pass themselves off as "tour" operators even though they are not certified and more important, are NOT insured.It's always best to go with recommended drivers and that's why all of us try to help each other out as much as possible by passing along warnings and reommendations.

may I also suggest a dive with aldive & watersports and then a land tour. We did that, it was a packed day, but, fun. The island is so beautiful and Trafalgar Falls was awesome! a friend of ours did a kayak snorkel tour while we dived and Aldive staff contacted a taxi for us that took us to Trafalgar.:)

I think any visitor to Dominica will have a wonderful time if they use Beno and tell him just what they want to see or do. Or, you can just put it in his capable hands. Last trip, I gave him a general idea about wanting to see the Carib Indians and left the remainder of the tour up to him. He took us across the island to visit Moses, a local Carib who introduced us to his family and told us the fascinating story of his family and the double-woven baskets they have been making for hundreds of years.

After that, Beno took a machete and cut down some fresh coconuts so we could sample our first taste of "jelly juice" as well as sampling the soft AND hard versions of the coconut.

Later, when we showed an interest in the local bands and jing ping music, Beno took us to see "Rasta Man," otherwise known as Loftus Emanuel, a local music promoter in Roseau where they helped us pick out some great CDs that I still listen to!

My point is that this island offers so much and if you use a highly recommended driver like Beno, you can design your tour to follow your own interests with the added benefits of feeling secure in your guide and having the advantage of a more personal day than just joining a large group of people on a standard cruiseship tour. But I strongly suggest you do your research and not just sign up with any of these suspicious "one-post" recommendations that I suspect are local people trying to drum up business.

In any case, enjoy! This is just such a wonderful island with very special people.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the info on BENO. We have contacted him and he replied right away. We will be doing his tour when we visit Dominica on the Hal Ryndam. Wed. Nov. 29th. Sure looking forward to it.

Thanks Again

Buck, Kathy & Mavis

Glad to read of everyone's recommendations on tours in Dominica. Sounds like Beno & Reyno come highly recommended. My DH & I will be there in April 07 aboard the NCL Pearl. Hopefully we can book with one of them even though there are only the two of us. We don't mind going along with another small group. I'm really interested in seeing some of the falls and countryside.

I'll be checking back for everyone elses comments after your visit. Thanks for all the good info.!

NCL Pearl 4/2007, NCL Jewel 4/2006, Voyager of the Seas 4/2005, Rhapsody 5/2004, Elation 5/2003, Rhapsody 3/2002, Inspiration 4/2001, Paradise 3/2000, Holland America 4/1999, Celebration 3/1998, Commodore 4/1997, NCL 1995:)

Thank you all for the info on BENO. We have contacted him and he replied right away. We will be doing his tour when we visit Dominica on the Hal Ryndam. Wed. Nov. 29th. Sure looking forward to it.

Thanks Again

Buck, Kathy & Mavis

Hi - I also have Beno booked for the 29th. We are off the Volendam. He said that there would be another couple on our tour - I guess I am assuming it is you. there are 4 of us. My husband, myself, our son and daughter in law. He had said we could go with his other driver but we said we wanted him and he said that there was another couple. Did he also tell you this? I am really exicted about going and looking forward to it.

Hi:

We will be there on the 29th but on the Ryndam. Beno didn't specify if he would be the guide. There are 3 of us so I am not sure who will drive us.

He just told me to look for him at the dock and the men in the brown uniforms will guide us to him. Apparently, there are others who try to rush the passengers to get them to take the tour with them.

I was surprised he did not ask for a small deposit.

My husband wears an Australian type white canvas hat with badges on it you may be able to pick him out of the crowd.

Kathy, Buck & Mavis

Hi!

Glad to hear from you. Beno did tell me that he would do our tour and that there was another couple going. From what I have heard on the board it wont matter which one of Beno's tour guides does the tour. I think they are all good. I am looking forward to it. Have a great trip on the Ryndam - we leave the 23rd on the Volendam. Hope that we meet.

Sandy

Hi!

Glad to hear from you. Beno did tell me that he would do our tour and that there was another couple going. From what I have heard on the board it wont matter which one of Beno's tour guides does the tour. I think they are all good. I am looking forward to it. Have a great trip on the Ryndam - we leave the 23rd on the Volendam. Hope that we meet.

Sandy

Archived