Loyalty Programs

Barocl

I was on the Veendam at a guestion and answer session. The guestion arose as to awards to long time cruisers. We were told HAL couldn't afford them. Princess has for a long time and now I've noticed the parent company Carnival has started a Loyalty Program. How is it they can afford such a program and HAL can't. Take care.

Carnival's Loyalty Program

Available exclusively to "Platinum" cardholders who have sailed aboard the "Fun Ships" 10 or more times, the new "Carnival Concierge Club" benefits are designed to recognize and reward those longtime Carnival guests for their loyalty over the years.

"Carnival is committed to the highest standards of guest service and hospitality. The new 'Carnival Concierge Club' is just one more way of showing our appreciation to our loyal past guests by making their 'Fun Ship' cruise even more special and memorable," said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO.

Platinum cardholders are entitled to the following shipboard benefits and features:

- Petit fours and/or canapés delivered to cabin one evening

- Personalized stationery

- A special Carnival logo item

- Guaranteed dining times and supper club reservations

- Complimentary $20 entry fee into blackjack tournament

- Spa Carnival priority reservations and complimentary treatment upgrade

- Complimentary wash and fold laundry service

- Priority tender boarding

- Priority embarkation and debarkation

Additionally, a fully staffed concierge desk for Platinum cardholders has been established at the purser's information desk aboard every Carnival ship. A dedicated phone line is available fleetwide, as well.

Special luggage tags indicating guests are "Carnival Concierge Club" members are included in guests' cruise documents. "Carnival Concierge Club" members also receive a special Welcome Aboard letter from Carnival President and CEO Bob Dickinson detailing the exclusive amenities and privileges available during their cruise.

The difference between HAL and the other lines (Carnival, Princess, etc.) is that HAL has many more repeat customers. There are generally more repeat than nonrepeat passengers on most sailings.

On the Amsterdam this past January, I don't think there were more than a handful of first time HAL passengers. This was a 30-day cruise, so I would imagine very few non-HAL loyalists would chance sailing for that long with an unfamiliar line.

The story I heard is that when they had the Captain's Cocktail Party, they could only invite suite guests and then all those passengers with over 100 days sailed on HAL. That's why a lot of loyal Mariners, like myself, did not get an invitation.

Sadly, because HAL has such a large percentage of repeat passengers ... and many with hundreds and hundreds of days sailed on the line ... they really cannot afford to start giving out the kind of perks Princess and Carnival do. In all actuality, if they did, those things would quickly stop being perks ... because practically everyone onboard would be getting them. Suite passengers, too, would become upset, because they enjoy certain perks today on HAL. If Mariners started getting pretty much those same perks, without staying in suites, it would degrade the value of the "suite experience."

I put this in another post ... but I would say just beef up the past passenger discounts ... and make the percentage dependent on how many prior days you have on HAL ships. This way loyal Mariners would be rewarded (in a more significant way than they are now) for their continued loyalty to HAL, while suite passengers would continue to enjoy their exclusive set of perks.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived