wi-fi

lisagro

We have tried on two ships and were unable to connect. :( Had a long chat with the "computer officer" but the bottom line was they didn't know what the problem was. Our computer was doing everything it was supposed to but it wouldn't let us past a certain point. His only explanation was that the signal was stronger at different times of day. "Try again later". They did apply our money to the regular internet cafe. Someone who was sitting next to us in the Atrium and not having any trouble said it might be our security settings, but we never pursued it. We use wi fi at home and have used it in airports and other hot spots with no problems. We enjoyed having the laptop with us though to download photos each night. ;)

We have tried on two ships and were unable to connect. :( Had a long chat with the "computer officer" but the bottom line was they didn't know what the problem was. ... We use wi fi at home and have used it in airports and other hot spots with no problems.

I was on Star Princess last fall and had a similar experience. The built-in Wi-Fi adapter worked in various other places without a problem. I finally bought a D-Link AirPlus G (DWL-G630) adapter at the purser's desk (~$55, IIRC) and was then able to connect to the onboard network. I currently use the built-in Wi-Fi adapter without problems.

Fred

All Princess ships have wi-fi, but only in the atrium and the internet cafe. You can use your own laptop at the cost mentioned above in either locations. Some ships also have a few computers in the library; maybe 3 of them. There is no wi-fi anywhere else on the ship. If you are a Paltinum member of the Capt's Circle you get free interenet access when using the ships computers, not your own.

Connetions can be hit and miss depending on where you are in the world. You can lose the signal in the midst of a session. Sometimes it is very slow. If you talk to the Pursers Desk they may give a credit. I have found the best bet is to do all the interent connections when in port at some local cybercafe. It is usually much, much cheaper and faster. Sometimes there is one on or near the dock. It may be more expensive than one in "town" for the locals but still cheaper than the ship. I usually ask a crew member or two where they go for Interent access.

Archived