Transatlantic

Poohb

DH & I feel the cruising part of any trip is the best. Has anyone done a transatlantic trip that could tell us about the weather and sea conditions. Is it a very rough crossing? We like the rocking but not sure how rocky it would get. Thanks for any advice.

We did a TA cruise last year and have another one scheduled for this year. Our one last year was from Ft Lauderdale to Bermuda and then across the Atlantic to Lisbon. We had one bad 24-36 hour period where we had 30-35 waves and 50-60 MPH winds during the peak of the storm. Other than that the water was no rougher than other cruises we have been on in the Caribbean, Med or Pacific.

TA cruises are really great because of the number of days at sea which allow you to really use all the facilities on the ship which is often impossible on port intensive cruises.

No one can make any absolute guarantee to how smooth any cruise will be let along a TA cruise but don't let that stop you trying a TA cruise.

Have a great next cruise.

Far North Atlantic crossings are the roughest. I did one where we had 50ft seas and terrible winds. I now only do crossings that are more southern like from Lisbon or Barcelona to Florida. The rough one was from London to NY.

and they were different from each other. Both in the North Atlantic, Dover to New York. Seas calmer the second time. Both crossings were in September. I hear the southern routes are calmer. The first time we ran into the remnants of a tropical storm.

One tip: Book midship, and on a lower deck. Noticeable difference. Once we were near the bow, and on the seventh deck. Fairly rough. The next time we moved to the second deck, midship. A great improvement.

One other note: If you cross in the North, you don't really need a balcony, as it is often too cool to use.

We also like sea days and have done two crossings- one about 5 years ago from Harwich to Boston in late August and the other last fall from Barcelona to Miami in November

The first, from Harwich to Boston, was very rough because we went through a hurricane. The captain tried to go around it, but it moved in the same direction. We had no problem due to the rocking, but they closed the outside decks due to the wind and I missed having my morning walk.

Last fall's cruise was better. We hit rough waters near Portugal going into and out of Lisbon, but the Captain then shifted south for the crossing to avoid the rough waters and we had fairly smooth sailing.

We were on that same crossing last November(HI, DEL67). There were also some fairly rough seas leaving Barcelona on the first night on our way to Alicante(bigger than Lisbon, 20-25 ft swells). Being this was our first TA, we didn't know what to expect. I actually loved the swells with the slight rocking and creaking of the ship. The weather was fantastic( hardly no rain at all). In the mid 60's from Barcelona, from Lisbon in the 70's increasing everyday until reaching Miami. It was about 80 degrees by the time we reached there. Some nights were a little cool, but usually very nice/warm with a breeze. We are doing another TA this fall with pretty much the same itinerary. The sea days give you plenty of time to unwind and relax. So, if you are worried about rough seas, I would suggest a southern route as others have said. Why don't you join us, we have a large group of people for the M & M, about 40 so far. I have a review of our trip and a webpage(links below), if you want any information about our trip last year or info on the one this year. Have a great time whatever intinerary you decide on. Andros/Tony

Thank you all for the information & the invitation. We will definitely consider a TA. The prices are good (until you add airfare). Happy Cruising to All. HUGS.

Edited post: Oops I just realized that the w/air price was for 2 ppl. So much better than I expected. Now we're really considering it.

Archived