Anyone Back From Century Yet?

PattyMichael

is my friends are back from Century and will give me the details tonight but so far they said "AMAZING and WONDERFUL and soooooooo much better than RCL." (sorry no intent on offending just repeating what they said). I have been an X fan for years but they always blew me off until now. I will have a smug smile on my face all night when I get the details.:p

We leave Sept 2, on the Century for a 13 day Best of Europe and can't wait. Anyone back yet? How does she look?

Isn't it strange that the photos on the process of her renovation were stopped? It would be nice to have a look at the completed renovations.

Was the Internet not working on the ship? Did none of the passengers bring a digital camera?

There's usually at least a few people who want the "bragging rights" of being the first to post information from the ship or from a port of call or airport.

We're booked on the Century for next year, but I'm curious NOW :)

Would someone please photograph all the new cabin categories plus, if you are able, the view from the balcony of the suites.

It seems that the suites will be looking down upon the roofs of the Concierge Class directly below them, restricting their sea views.

Would someone please photograph all the new cabin categories plus, if you are able, the view from the balcony of the suites.

It seems that the suites will be looking down upon the roofs of the Concierge Class directly below them, restricting their sea views.

All the new AFT balconies too, please. :D

We just came back from our first Celebrity cruise. We were in one the new balcony rooms on the Century(8153). Our room was very nice - tons of storage space and the shower was wonderful! We had only one minor complaint about the room-the bed. While it was very comfortable, the foot of the bed was rounded in order to make it fit the configuration of the room. My husband and I are tall so if we were stretched out, our feet hung over the edge. We were lucky everything worked - some of our shipmates complained of no electricity, no TV and no working toilet - these were fixed in part or whole during the trip. The ship should probably have stayed in dry dock one more week.

Based on everything that we had previously read or heard about Celebrity I think that we had our expectations set too high, because we thought that this was probably the worst cruise we had ever been on! When I say that, I am taking into consideration the fact that this was an inaugural cruise. The food was okay to horrible, based on where you ate. The staff throughout the ship were excellent.

I don't think being in dry dock should have any bearing on the quality of the food. There was absolutely no consistency from one food venue to the next. I will admit most of the desserts were very good. I love to eat and I lost weight on this cruise-this is virtually unheard of! I truly don't want to be super critical, but my husband and I both agreed that the fillet we had on the airplane returning to the States was the best we'd had the whole trip. Our best dinner on the cruise was through room service. The lobster on formal night was tough. The casual dining room offered steak that you could barely cut - I heard several people complain about it on different nights. I was served lasagna that I wouldn't offer to anyone. The drinks and wine were good-except the mango daiquiri..ugh!

I don't think being in dry dock should have any bearing on the quality of the food. There was absolutely no consistency from one food venue to the next. I will admit most of the desserts were very good. I love to eat and I lost weight on this cruise-this is virtually unheard of! I truly don't want to be super critical, but my husband and I both agreed that the fillet we had on the airplane returning to the States was the best we'd had the whole trip. Our best dinner on the cruise was through room service. The lobster on formal night was tough. The casual dining room offered steak that you could barely cut - I heard several people complain about it on different nights. I was served lasagna that I wouldn't offer to anyone. The drinks and wine were good-except the mango daiquiri..ugh!

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I wonder how much crew turn over occurred after the dry-dock? This sounds typical of a maiden voyage. A few years back, my wife and I were on the maiden voyage of Radiance of the Seas through the Panama Canal. It was like a comedy or error, yet about a month later the ship started receiving rave reviews and continues to be highly rated. We have sworn never to take a maiden voyage again.

We have booked the Century for a 17 day transatlantic for 12/3/07. They have some great prices and we enjoy those sea days. This year we will do Millennium’s TA on 11/24/06. We are Celebrity fans and have rarely if ever been disappointed by them.

Albert

I too am sorry to hear about your experience. I know that food is a big part of why I choose to cruise as well. Was hoping you might have some pictures to share with everyone. Those of us who love the Century are very curious to see what the ship looks like now. Did you try the speciality restaurant at all?

Thanks for updating us.

Walter

The embarkation went fairly well. It got bottlenecked at the entry to the ship where the security picture was taken - other cruise lines take the security picture when you are providing your documents. We were allowed on board about 20 minutes prior to the rooms being ready and were told we could go upstairs to get something to eat or wander around the ship. Everyone was greeted with a glass of champagne or oj which was nice.

There were very few activities on board during the day except for the art and wine auctions. There was some trivia and other team games that were fun, but too few of them.

Bingo was all but non-existent. There were a few 1-game sessions in between meal seatings. One four game session was canceled.

All of the ports had a terrible chemical oder when sitting out side. My husband can't do a tremendous amount of physical activity, and there were no excursions that didn't require significant walking. We did go into the port towns, but the gangway to get back onto the ship was usually a steep climb-difficult if you are at all disabled.

We did enjoy the cruise, it just fell flat compared to the high expectations we had.

Again, I can't say enough of the staff.

We have a few pics but they need to be resized before we can post them...most of our pictures are off the ship. The areas that were completed were beautiful. The spa/beauty palor was not done during the first few days...they were still doing work when I was having a mani/pedi. The pedicure chairs were not ready and I couldn't get a parafin treatment. There were a lot of workers still on the ship. They were drilling something that we could hear outside our balcony for two days. There were a lot of outside areas that still needed to be painted.

Sounds like the ship may still be a work in progress. Hope it gets back to excellent in all categories! We have two cruises booked on this ship-- a short one next spring and again in Sept 07 to the Medit. By then I expect all kinks will be worked out! Hope posts will continue to keep us up to date--Gitte--hope you will post some pics---

I'm shocked to read the food was so bad. Things must have really changed, since the dry dock. My DH & I thought the food on Century in Nov. was the best we've experienced on an X ship. Although, we didn't try the casual dining area, & only ate at the buffet when absolutely necessary. We never like buffets. I hope the food is back to wonderful, before Feb. :D

We were in cabin 9034, outside cabin, without curved bed. Aside from some minor inconveniences, such as phone not working for a few days, and TV not fully functional, have no major complaints. Found food to be good to excellent, service consistently excellent. The tenderloin was one of the best we've ever had anywhere. Not interested in the spa so it's delayed opening did not impact me in any way. Aqua spa cafe opened late in cruise and was excellent. I understand that Michel Roux was on board. I agree that there could have been more activiites planned during the day, especially on days at sea, but we enjoyed the opportunity to relax. This is our 3rd cruise on Century. The only disappointment we have in refurbishment is the elimination of the Thalassotherapy Pool. We heard from staff that this cruise came very close to being cancelled, so we are greatful that we were able to sail. We had a very enjoyable cruise.

Archived