Bug Spray...

cruzn buckeye

We will be going to Belize in August. Last April we were in Costa Rica and the bugs there were bionic looking! I can only imagine what Belize would be like. I already bought several bug sprays and I plan to really soak myself.

What bug spray would you suggest for the cave tubing tour?

Should we try to apply it to our face as well?

We went to Belize in February. We used Deep Woods Sportsmen spray 98% deet on arms & legs. Used regular Deep Woods Off wipe packets on our face,less deet and didn't want to spray near the eyes.

Did not get a single bite. Spent the day at Bannister Caye on the beach.Have fun:)

We went to Belize in February. We used Deep Woods Sportsmen spray 98% deet on arms & legs. Used regular Deep Woods Off wipe packets on our face,less deet and didn't want to spray near the eyes.

Did not get a single bite. Spent the day at Bannister Caye on the beach.Have fun:)

Thanks Chris! Do I have to go to a sporting goods store to buy this?

Thanks Chris! Do I have to go to a sporting goods store to buy this?
We found some small pump spray bottles of 100% DEET at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section. The wipes were located in housewares with the bug sprays.

John

• 2 weeks later...

This is hard to believe, but we have no Wal-Mart here in New York City. Yep, its true, they wont allow it in. So, we have Duane Reade, and a few other discount pharmacies.

I have never had bug problems in St John (except at dusk with mosquitoes), St Thomas, Puerto Rico, St Croix, Jamaica, Bahamas.

So Im thinking that my Western Carib might be a mosquitoe problem (Belize, Cayman, Roatan, Costa Maya) according to the posts. Ill bring along the Off, just in case and Ill buy some of those wipes to carry.

I was in Grand Cayman when it first opened to tourism in 1972, no ships, only 1 flight a day in and out, a handful of tourists and a mosquitoe problem that was beyond severe. As soon as I got off the plane I was bitten. But as we know, Cayman is totally commercialzed now and they got rid of their problem. Talk about day & night, that island did one big turnaround.

do you really need bug spray? is it that bad?:confused:

We were at Bannister Caye in February. Our guide told us it was not bug season then. We saw no bugs at all.

we had spray and used it , just in case. There have been malaria carrying mosquitoes reported in Belize.IMHO better safe than sorry:)

We did the cave tubing last week and did not have any problems until right before we got in the water (at the 2nd cave). Then, everyone was being surrounded, bug spray or not. So, I agree, better to have it, but don't count on it 100%.

We have had excellent results with Repel Lemon Eucalyptus spray. We have been on Belize and Costa Rica itineraries several times and have never gotten a bite. One trip to Altun Ha the DEET users were spraying away and getting bitten standing right next to us and we had zero issues.

We have had excellent results with Repel Lemon Eucalyptus spray. We have been on Belize and Costa Rica itineraries several times and have never gotten a bite. One trip to Altun Ha the DEET users were spraying away and getting bitten standing right next to us and we had zero issues.
Where can you buy this spray?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived