Camera and Electronic Prices in St. Thomas

We have not purchased anything within the last year but have purchased nearly all electronics there at one time or another. Never had any problem. The price is always better than we can do around here and they seem to have newer models--perhaps because of the volume turnover.

It is always cheaper in St. Thomas, if for no other reason than there is no sales tax, so you are going to save 6 - 9 %.

I have found also that the prices tend to run about 15 - 20% less too, if you shop.

Only difference is the sales tax, in St Thomas there are none. But the prices are almost the sames that you could find in a nice sale in the states.

If your itinerary includes St Marteen then wait until you are there, maybe you can find a better deal than St Thomas.

Make sure that you get the U.S. Warranty on your electronics when you purchase in St. Thomas. I think that you should, since A.V.I. is a possession of the United States. Verify the warranty before you buy, because an "International" Warranty will be worthless if you have a problem with the product.

LL

Personally, I didn't find the prices on the products I knew to be any cheaper and I found the selection of brand names to be limited compared to home. If you already have a camera your happy with (or other electronic equipement) but are thinking about upgrading, find what you want in the US and then price compare in St. Thomas. If you don't have a good camera I'd go ahead and buy it now before the cruise so you already have it and know how it works.

It is always cheaper in St. Thomas, if for no other reason than there is no sales tax, so you are going to save 6 - 9 %.

I have found also that the prices tend to run about 15 - 20% less too, if you shop.

Also, we have found that they will often throw in something extra at no extra charge, like a camera case, blah blah. Others may find great sales in the states but they are pretty scarce around here.

You might get a good deal. You might not. Depends what you think a good deal is.

As an experienced traveller to St. Thomas for over 30 years, prices are comparable to the states. We purchased a Sony digital camera in NJ. It was more money in STT. Same make and model, same year of purchase.

OT: perfumes in STT were exactly the same price in Macy's...

Jewelery: Your best bet: Definitely better priced in the islands

Electronics of all kinds are cheaper in the states then they are on the islands. Ipods were selling for 345 for 30gb. My parents bought a digital camera for 320 in the states last december and it was 450 in st. thomas in may.

As far as jewerly goes, my mother bought a tanzanite and opal ring at one of the stores. We went to every jewerly store on the island and finally settled on the first one she sae. She bought it at an RCCL approved store. We went back to the ship for lunch at around 3:30 after picking up the ring at 3. She wore it back. When we finished lunch, my sister was looking at the ring and noticed that a piece of the opal was missing. Now, this was a 1000 dollar ring. My mother was in tears. We called the shopping directors desk to see what they would do. They said they couldn't do anything because the shopping director was not on the ship. We decided to go return it. Rushed off the ship, took a taxi to the store and tried to return it. They gave us a fight. Finally got it taken care of. Rushed back to the ship with 20 minutes to spare until she left. It was supposed to be a present for my parents anniversary, instead it ruined it. The shopping director didn't do anything about it once she heard.

BE CAREFUL buying stuff in the islands. If something goes wrong, you only have the time your in port to return it.

Archived