A first timer needs help here.

My boyfriend and I are cruising for the first time in August. We are cruising with RCCL for 4-nights on Sovereign of the Seas. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for some new cruisers? Anything will help. :)

Just keep reading these boards there is more information here than you can read in a life time.. also go over to the cruise tips board and you will find more info there.. the sov is a wonderful ship. You will love it. :)

Well first off welcome to cruising. I just made my first cruise vacation on may 14th 06....seven nighter to W Caribbean from Gal Tex. Anyway....BY almeans...read these boards....you will learn so much by the different posts that you will see. If you have any spacific questions, ask them and one of us out there ( C C Family) will answer them best they can. All I can say is this dont over pack ( we did)--this means that you dont need three different outfits everyday. That what we packed for. 99 percent of the time, you will be in a swim suit, and flip flops...only exceptions are for dinner (ESP formal nights). anyway guys...you guys will have a BLAST! NOthing like it..>I am so hooked. The day after we got back, i was already looking at others to book. Half the fun is the pre planning. Have fun !!!!

Pack a couple of days clothes in your carry-on just in case your main luggage gets delayed or lost.

Pack valuables in your carry-on, not your suitcase.

Pack an emergency kit - we use a metal Bandaide box - Small sewing kit, safety pins, if you wear glasses a glasses repair kit, Orejel (just in case you have a tooth problem), and an old cruiser's standby - duct tape. Any other medicines you may take occasionally like aspirin.

Log onto rccl.com, Before You Board, On-Line Check-in and do the "On-Line Check-in - it saves time at the pier when you check-in.

This is just our personal thing - Dine in the dining room each evening. Having the same waiter each time makes for more fun. We also like having the same tablemates each evening.

Make sure you have the next day after the cruise OFF so that you can rest. Don't schedule yourself to work the next morning.

Have fun,

First, start by reading these boards for all kinds of info... you will find some crazy stuff that you would NEVER think of!!!! Then, soon you will be addicted to the boards and cruising just like the rest of us.

Also, check for a roll call board for your particular sailing... folks sailing with you can give you a good amount of info and become great friends before--during and after your cruise.

You should also check the ports of call boards to see what kinds of activties are available and meet your interests. This will help you decide how you want to spend your days.

Some things that I never leave behind.... medicine bag with all kinds of over the counter remedies. You never know when you will need something and it is better to have it on hand then to have to search for it. Large insulated mug... great for cool drinks by the pool... Sunscreen and aloe... the caribbean sun is much stronger then you may think. And most of all.... my carefree vacation attitude.... remember, things could be worse- you could be stuck at work intead of sailing on a beautiful ship!!!!!

Sunscreen and aloe... the caribbean sun is much stronger then you may think.

Please, please, please bring and wear sunblock! I can't tell you how many people we saw on the ship who didn't and they were so burnt some of them were purple. We are from sunny Florida and we wore 30 spf the entire weekend and still got tans (mostly from the day at Coco Cay). People we so sunburnt by the last day that there we no people in the bars or theater the last night.:eek:

Please, please, please bring and wear sunblock! I can't tell you how many people we saw on the ship who didn't and they were so burnt some of them were purple. We are from sunny Florida and we wore 30 spf the entire weekend and still got tans (mostly from the day at Coco Cay). People we so sunburnt by the last day that there we no people in the bars or theater the last night.:eek:

I can't agree more. There is nothing worse then being burnt to a crisp and not enjoying the rest of your cruise. Also you should buy some swim shoe's for the beach in Coco Cay, it's pretty rocky in the water and I wish I had bought them to wear.

My advice:

1. Don't sweat the formal night or the fashion police - be comfortable! DO not forget the RCL rules that state that dress is SUGGESTED, but do take part in it.

2. Once onboard - get your soda passes right away, and if the ship you're on has a specialty restaurant onboard, make your booking as soon as possible.

3. Make sure you've made arrangements for bedding. Do you want the beds separated or as one? Call RCL, they will take care of it for you.

4. Do the dining room for breakfast! The windjammer is ok, but the dining room breakfast is much better and you are waited on.

5. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING like clothing until the last day because all that stuff goes on sale - sometimes as much as 60% off! GO EARLY to the sale to make sure you have early dibs.

6. If coco cay is on your itinerary - once you get off the tender, HEAD LEFT and grab a hammock! There are few of them.....

7. Keep your cabin tidy as possible, it helps the steward and it also ensures your room will be prepared much earlier than if you leave it cluttered.

8. Go to the front desk and ask for a deck of cards. They are free there. A lot of people are unaware of this, plus they are a nice deck with the RCL logo - a nice keepsake.

9. Go to the art auctions; don't bid on anything. You're there to watch, and enjoy the free champagne!

10. NEVER be afraid to ask for seconds on lobster tail, or ANYTHING.

11. At the midnight buffet - watch the people! It's funny to see how they react by cutting in line and they practically go insane by grabbing decorated foods that are not edible because they are shellacked for display but they will try and eat it anyway!

12. Ask for robes. Talk to the room steward, and if he/she brings you robes, hand him a ten spot and tell him/her that they'll get more if they take good care of you.

Definately take a large tumbler with you for the iced tea and/or lemonade. The ship's glasses are quite small & you won't want to keep running back to refill your glass. Also be sure to take at least one power strip. The electrical outlets are few and generally not in the most convenient places. This will really come in handy especially if you're having to charge the battery in your laptop & digital camera plus keeping your clock plugged in.

Unless you're fond of "fountain sodas" - coke products ONLY, don't bother getting the "soda card".

Hi- We were on the Sovereign in April. It was a very good cruise. The cabins are on the small side, so be prepared, but they are comfortable and well cared for.

There is so much to do on the Sovereign and we experienced a very upbeat crowd and crew. We liked the amount of music choices offered.

CocoCay is beautiful. Nassau is a very busy and somewhat commercial port with lots of excursion choices. We booked a ship's excursion to Atlantis and had a super day there. Check the Bahamas forum here for lots of suggestions for Nassau.

Have a great cruise.

Archived