What mix of people to expect on a Baltic cruise?

erez

We are going on the Grand to the Baltic cruise on August 7th 2004.

From your experience, what should we expect to meet on board from the point of view of nationalties, age, families/couples, etc.

Thank you,

Erez.

We are thinking of a Baltic ourselves in summer 2006. Our daughter will be 11, which partially allays myt concerns about the lack of kids. I'm guessing the largest number of kids will be late June/early July....am I right? Thta will be perfect becasue we'll also gets the most hours of daylight.

Did the Baltic, on NCL, May 99.

Passenger load mainly US, with a smattering of Canadian and Brits, few Continentals.

Fewer youngsters than I expected, average passenger age perhaps in 40s.

Great ports, but a very port-intensive cruise. I would have preferred a few more sea days.

Michael

Hi Erez

We will be with you on the Grand in August

As you can see, we are Brits and comprise 2 families of 4. it looks like we will bring down the average age considerably, although I do know there are other families aboard.

Seriously, I wonder whether the Grand will attract a slightly younger age profile than the older, smaller Regal. Certainly, having been on the Golden last year, this was a major factor in our choice.

There are, I believe 2 separate roll calls for this cruise. Why not take a peek

Can't wait for the &th!

We were on the Grand 5/19. It was a very multi-national crowd with something like 48 different countries represented with the largest contingents from the States, Canada and the UK. There were only a handful of kids primarily of the toddler variety. I would say the average age was probably 55. I think this is pretty typical of any longer or "exotic" cruise on Princess. There was nothing really unusual.

Just got off our Grand Princess Baltic cruise (6/18-28) and there weren't tons of kids. Lots of people in their 50's and 60's, though I saw many in their 30's/40's too.

It was quite a multinational cruise. There were a few hundred asians from Asia as well as a large group of Spanish speakers. I know one was a big group from Mexico (probably 100) and I was told that there was a big group from South America as well. There were quite a few from Europe - I could hear german and french being spoken as well as languages I couldn't decipher. The majority were from the US and Canada - many nationality's...asian, indian and mostly caucasian.

Jane

We leave today for Copenhagen for the July 8th Grand cruise. We have our 14 year old daughter with us, so I'm hoping she meets someone. I'm hoping that summer is now in full swing with schools being out there will be a few more younger people on the ship. We did the Med 3 years ago on the Golden and there weren't a lot of kids, but definitely some.

Looking forward to the week in Copenhagen and the cruise. I'm sure there will definitely be a mix of people which should be interesting. One of the things I love about cruising. Definitely gets you out of your norm for surroundings.

Hulagirl

Hope you have a great cruise!

For those of you that are concerned about there not being a lot kids, think of it this way - the fewer there are, the more attention those that are on the ship will get. Our kids prefer there to be hardly any kids. The pools are less crowded, there aren't kids running up and down the halls and playing on the elevators, and the whole atmosphere is just a little more refined. It definitely makes a great cruise for us when the kids' program isn't packed.

I Am 51 With A Fun Attitude Of A 35 Year Old Or Maybe Even Younger. I Will Be On The Grand July 8th And Although I Love My Own Space And Time For Myself; I Sure Hope The Majority Of The Passengers Are Friendly. I Will Be Traveling Alone And Have Many Tours Planned And Hope To Have Nice And Friendly People To Share "at The End Of The Day" The Days' Events.

kool kruiser

We will be on the same cruise.

If I understand you correctly you have twins boys at the age of 13. Well, guess what? I have twins girls at the same age...

We were a little bit concern about the lack of teens on board, so now I know there will be at least two others, and twins! and at the same age! Who could ask for more?

We are counting the days, but lucky for us we have fewer as we are going to travel in Norway for 8 days prior to the cruise.

l

Hi Erez

Just to clarify....my son is 13 and our friends with whom we are travelling also have a son who is 13. They are not quite twins, although their birthdays are only 2 days apart.I am sure they will be very happy when I tell them about your daughters (LOL). Must be careful...this is a cruise messageboard, not a dating agency !!

As you may know, British schools have not yet broken up so those ''early'' Baltic cruisers who have posted would not have had many British schoolchildren on board. It will probably change when we go in August.

Hope you have a great pre-cruise in Norway... I gather that the fjords are quite spectacular and beautiful

We always meet plenty of Brits in August. The schools in NY do not even let out until the very end of June...

When we did this trip there were not 100's of kids but there was a nice group and two years later my daughter is still in touch with Andy in England. I agree that when there is not an overwhelming number of kids that they almost find it easier to Find each other. The main thing is that the ships have a dedicated teen center so that they can find each other at first.

The older smaller ships tend to be poor choices - in many cases for the kids. Any of the ships built in the last 5 years- which is most of any of the fleet- will be fine.

Archived