Children...Your experience is needed to advise

Ldipper

Hi,

Cruising first time ... we're on Summit ... Alaska.

6 children ages 10, 9, 7, 6, 4, 4 (Boys)

What do they need to wear to eat in the dining room? (I don't care to eat at buffets every night...feels like cows to a trough.) clothes? shoes?

What fun things will be available for the kids?

Thank you in advance for your advise.

J :o

Our boys (grandsons) will be eating in the dining room most nights (probably pizza/pasta bar one night and casual dining room once or twice. Maybe in the kids club also). They will be wearing slacks, button down or golf type shirts for casual and informal and jackets or vests with button downs for formal. They do not own suits and it wouldn't be a good investment due to their lifestyles at home. Most important is good behavior like in a lovely restaurant. Bad behavior will mean not coming to the dining room.... but I'm not worried.They are so excited that the rules will be fine with them.

Hi,

Cruising first time ... we're on Summit ... Alaska.

6 children ages 10, 9, 7, 6, 4, 4 (Boys)

What do they need to wear to eat in the dining room? (I don't care to eat at buffets every night...feels like cows to a trough.) clothes? shoes?

What fun things will be available for the kids?

Thank you in advance for your advise.

J :o

Celebrity has great childrens programs but are a little more formal in the dining room. . I don't know about Alaska but we had the kids get dressed but then again we didn't have 6 and I know it becomes expensive. On formal nights they can eat with their childrens groups so that should cover you on a couple of nights. Also, you can order off the regular dining room menu from room service during regular dining room hours.

Also, very important based upon your post, Celebrity does not have buffets for dinner just in case you go looking for them. They have casual dining which is menu based in the buffet areas but do not have a buffet. The casual dining would also be another possibility with the kids. It is very good and you don't have to get dressed.

The children's program has a "dinner party" every night. They feed the kids a certain meal--one night chicken nuggets, one night spaghetti, etc. You sign up for this by 5p.m. and it is free. You drop them off in the buffet area and they stay with the youth workers. You can send the kids in their shorts and enjoy your dinner in the dining room. They can then stay in the kid's program until 9-11p.m. depending on their age.

On formal night this program is offered until I think 1a.m.

Kids that age can wear slacks and any sort of decent looking collared shirt most nights - just stay away from jeans and t-shirts. On informal nights it would be nice if they wore a button up shirt, even a dress shirt. On formal nights if they have jackets wear them, or else a dress shirt and tie.

While a jacket or suit might be nice I don't think they are that necessary for that age. They might be nice for the 10 year old, and maybe those close in age - but if I had that many kids I wouldn't differentiate them - that is I wouldn't get the older one a suit and not the rest.

Also, very important based upon your post, Celebrity does not have buffets for dinner just in case you go looking for them. They have casual dining which is menu based in the buffet areas but do not have a buffet. The casual dining would also be another possibility with the kids. It is very good and you don't have to get dressed.

We are a BIG fan of the casual dining alternative, especially for Alaska. It's table service with menus and a view to kill for. We found the food to be better there than in the main dining room. Everything came out at the right temperature because it was prepared to order. Salads were crispy and COLD, entrees were fresh and HOT. The tables are set with tablecloths and flowers and the service was wonderful. You can make same day reservations for whatever time you want. There is a $2 pp. gratuity for dining there, and did I mention the views are fantastic. ;) On our 12 night cruise to Alaska we only ate in the main dining room 3 nights. We just LOVED the service, food and VIEWS in the casual alternative. Highly recommended.

SO, for the casual dining we must tip cash $2.00 pp? (including all children?)

Does that then mean we do not have to pay any gratuities to the main dining wait staff (if we never eat there?) Or pay just for the day or two that we do?

Want to be sure we do what is appropriate for each.

Many thanks,

J

SO, for the casual dining we must tip cash $2.00 pp? (including all children?)

Does that then mean we do not have to pay any gratuities to the main dining wait staff (if we never eat there?) Or pay just for the day or two that we do?

Want to be sure we do what is appropriate for each.

Many thanks,

J

Yes, the $2 pp includes the children. I would also tip the dining room waitstaff because they are available to you for any evenings you choose to dine there and they also work the breakfast and lunch service in both the dining room and the buffet.

We took our grandkids to Alaska a few yrs ago and the boys wore long sleeved dress shirts and slacks for the formal nights - One night we got ties on them the second one not. The youngest boy like eating with the kids group so most nights he ate with the group, except 1st night, formal night and last night. The younger kids loved the kids programs and could not wait to go every night. The older 2 were no quite teenagers so did not like the kids program they wanted to join the teen program but not quite the age.

I know it can be expensive to buy suits for all the boys, we did get buys on the shirts and slacks by shopping the thrift stores and sales.

Of course the 2 girls were ready to dress up anytime and they loved shopping for the dresses and wearing them.

We never ate at the casual dinning as we like the formal dinning room and just taught the kids about how to behave and use the right forks, etc.

Our waiters really catered to the kids bringing them treats and serving them first. They even gave napkin folding classes for them while waiting for food to arrive.

Francine

We are cruising with 2 of our 7 grandkids to Bermuda 7/1/06 on the Zenith. A dress shirt & tie along with their best manners will do fine. I worry more about my60 y/o other half and my 40 y/o son on cruises than I do about the girls! Sometimes, I have to remind them(son & hubby) to watch their manners!!!!!!! Our grandkids have cruised 3 x with us and we are always careful about manners and not to intrude on anyone who does not want kids around.This goes for pool, dining room and all public areas! The girls 13 & 9 go to camp on sea days and out on excursions with us on port days. We always eat in the dining room for dinner. Mornings and lunch, we all meet and do the buffet. It's their vacation, too and they like to dress up and have a "shirley temple" with the grown ups, and not so grown ups. Happy sailing!

Hi Ldipper,

We just came back from Alaska on the Summit, with 5 kids ages 13-2. Our boys wore a dark suit (bought on Ebay) and preferred eating in the main dining room because of the food. Our table was on the side near a large window, and the kids were entertained by our great waitperson, or quietly played gameboys between courses (no volume, held in lap!) Dinners can be long, but they were a good experience for the kids and they did not complain about going. The Asst maitre'd was superb about producing their favorite foods, even if not on the menu (there is a good kids menu though). One night I asked him if they ever prepared gnocchi, and the next night he brought special plates of gnocchi for the kids. The informal dining option actually was slower than the regular dining on the night we tried it. Skip it.

Kid's program was good. We participated in all the family events - bingo, talent show, disco, crafts - and received a lot of Celebrity logo goodies at the end. The days are themed, such as pirates, Alaska, Spongebob, etc. and daily schedules are given for each age group, so you can decide exactly what to attend and what to skip. You'll have a ton of fun!

I appreciate your responses.

I called the cruise line and told me that the children MUST MUST MUST (yes, he even told me the three year olds) MUST wear coats in the main dining room - no exceptions.

But it seems from your experience, it's NOT that strict.

THANK YOU!

J

Archived