Amateur Radio Onboard Ship

Az_Redneck

Any hams out there ever bring a rig onboard? I was considering bringing a VHF/UHF HT. I know you need the Captain's permission to transmit onboard. I doubt I would make any contacts at sea anyway. Especially at 5w. I don't think I'll be bringing my HF rig and hooking up a dipole up on the the rail of the bow, but I thought about it..lol

Any other hams?

I forbid any radio gear on my cruises!:D

DH has been known to take his handheld but not recently...just too much trouble and as you say it may be hard to make many contacts at sea.

AzRedneck: W4HMV here! I've only taken my dualbander ht on Alaska cruises but have really not used it other than to listen to the locals. DW is not wild about me taking a radio along for a pleasurable cruise. That's OK, as I usually find lots of fun things to do on-board besides hamming. . . . . not that there is anything wrong with that! :cool:

AzRedneck: W4HMV here! I've only taken my dualbander ht on Alaska cruises but have really not used it other than to listen to the locals. DW is not wild about me taking a radio along for a pleasurable cruise. That's OK, as I usually find lots of fun things to do on-board besides hamming. . . . . not that there is anything wrong with that! :cool:

K7PGT - Nice to meet you. DW was asking me if I was going to bring a radio onboard and I told her no and she wanted to know why not..(That's a first)..Anyway, I won't bring one because I am our county ARRL Emergency Coordinator and I do way too much stuff as it is and I'm trying to put it down for a few days. I may go through withdrawls though..lol

Archived