Travel Insurance that does not cover illness, is there such an animal?

tatay

Is there insurance coverage that will only cover trip cancellations, luggage & such? I am fully covered for health, medical and accidents but would like to have coverage for cancellations. I checked online insurance coverages and they all offer the "complete package". I am thinking if I can buy only the coverage I need, maybe I can save some $$ :confused:

But does your med insurance cover emergency medical transportation, baggage and travel documents, baggage delay, travel delay, missed connections. It can be quite expensive for medical transportaton if you have to be air lifted out of there. Just a thought.

It really is quite inexpensive for what you get:)

The packages that you want are available, but make sure you get medical evacuation coverage. Your own policy probably does not cover that and if needed can easily hit $50,000 from the Caribbean and $75,000 or more from Europe.

I guess my question would be "why wouldn't you want the medical piece, even if it is redundant?" :confused:

First of all, I would venture a guess that if you had to use your insurance, it at the very least would be considered out-of-network, and as mentioned, may not cover MedEvac from the ship or foreign country.

Secondary medical and evac insurance coverage at such a (typically) low price seems like a no-brainer.

Here's hoping you never will need it though:)

I have a regular medical policy and also an annual medical policy that is in effect anytime I am more than 150 miles from my house, anywhere in the world. Why would I want to purchase duplicate, if not triplicate coverage? A complete waste of money.

Any additional coverage for luggage, etc., I buy on a trip by trip basis. I never get trip cancellation.

I guess my question would be "why wouldn't you want the medical piece, even if it is redundant?" :confused:

First of all, I would venture a guess that if you had to use your insurance, it at the very least would be considered out-of-network, and as mentioned, may not cover MedEvac from the ship or foreign country.

Secondary medical and evac insurance coverage at such a (typically) low price seems like a no-brainer.

Here's hoping you never will need it though:)

I am a Canadian Federal Employee and our coverage includes $500K out-of-province coverage including evacuation & the like, coverage is in effect even when on vacation,:D so my only real concern is the cost of airfare & cruise "just in case" we cant make the trip.

I have a regular medical policy and also an annual medical policy that is in effect anytime I am more than 150 miles from my house, anywhere in the world. Why would I want to purchase duplicate, if not triplicate coverage? A complete waste of money.

Any additional coverage for luggage, etc., I buy on a trip by trip basis. I never get trip cancellation.

Zyde, just curious. Why don't you ever get trip cancellation insurance? Would it not be a financial burden to you to lose that money if you had to cancel last minute.

Our travel insurance typically costs about $50 pp. To me it is money well spent. And medical evacuation would be very costly too if it became necessary to be moved from the ship. I purchase Travelex Travel Lite and they are primary insurers. I don't even have to bother submitting to my own insurance. The last policy cost me $49. I had to visit the doctor while on the ship. The cost was $120 and I had a check in my hands within 2 weeks of submitting the claim.

To me it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Zyde, just curious. Why don't you ever get trip cancellation insurance? Would it not be a financial burden to you to lose that money if you had to cancel last minute.

Our travel insurance typically costs about $50 pp. To me it is money well spent. And medical evacuation would be very costly too if it became necessary to be moved from the ship. I purchase Travelex Travel Lite and they are primary insurers. I don't even have to bother submitting to my own insurance. The last policy cost me $49. I had to visit the doctor while on the ship. The cost was $120 and I had a check in my hands within 2 weeks of submitting the claim.

To me it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

My annual medical costs about $120 and includes 100k for medical evacuation. It is secondary insurance, so I would have to fork over a credit card and get reimbursed, but you really end up doing that anyway.

As for trip cancellation, I've never cancelled a cruise even when I could have (and did have trip cancellation insurance), so it isn't worthwhile for me. As you get older, it becomes increasingly more expensive to purchase individual policies. If (when?) I ever do cancel a cruise, I am already money ahead, based on the number of cruises I have taken in the past.

It is a gamble, but one that has already paid off for me. It probably isn't for everyone.

I do think everyone needs medical insurance, because that is the one that can cause financial ruin. Even if you are young, accidents can happen.

My annual medical costs about $120 and includes 100k for medical evacuation. It is secondary insurance, so I would have to fork over a credit card and get reimbursed, but you really end up doing that anyway.

As for trip cancellation, I've never cancelled a cruise even when I could have (and did have trip cancellation insurance), so it isn't worthwhile for me. As you get older, it becomes increasingly more expensive to purchase individual policies. If (when?) I ever do cancel a cruise, I am already money ahead, based on the number of cruises I have taken in the past.

It is a gamble, but one that has already paid off for me. It probably isn't for everyone.

I do think everyone needs medical insurance, because that is the one that can cause financial ruin. Even if you are young, accidents can happen.

I see. We had to cancel a cruise within the penalty phase and we would have been out over 3K if we hadn't had insurance. We surely haven't spent that much in premiums over the years, so for us it's worth it. I do know it gets more costly as you get older. My parents have to fork over a lot more in travel insurance than we do. So far, I haven't found one benefit to getting older!!!LOL

On the trip cancellation, you can look at it this way. Let's say you take pretty cheap cruises for about $700 pp. If your trip cancellation was $50, then you'd have to cancel, on average, one of your first 14 cruises to come out even. If you cancelled only one of of 15 cruises, it would have been cheaper to not have trip cancellation at all and just eat the loss for one cruise.

Of course, it's not that simple for most people since they also have to consider the other coverages insurance would provide them while judging whether it's worth it or not. The medical one is huge if you don't have coverage from that with your existing health insurance.

Archived