How strict are they on "sharing" soda card?

HELLO:

Maybe whoever wants to take the chance and buy 1 soda sticker for several soda drinkers, they can play waiter and go around the pool deck, charge $1.00 each(save the passengers $$) and get the orders filled with there sticker on their sea pass and make a profit for themselves...JK How ridiculious this is getting!!! Have a GREAT CRUISE.

So I wonder if I ordered a diet coke at dinner (without having the soda card) - am I going to pay for the refills or are they included as one drink as you eat your meal? Thanks so much.

Yes, you will pay for the refills.

To OP: don't take responses personally..

and as I said earlier, I would in no way pay 240.00 plus the 15% gratuity for soda cards. You can buy alot of soda pop fro way cheaper adn bring it with no problem what so ever.. save the money for something nice like the specialty restraunt or more bar drinks, or shopping or something... :)

Keep in mind everyone that the cards are soda AND JUICE...so the kids don't have to drink soda all day long...

Also you didn't mention the ages...if they are big...11, 12 or teens...get them the card.

If you have little ones...4 or 5 I would not. They won't drink a whole soda anyway (nor would you want them to)

I would bring paper cups with me and pour some soda into the cup so they will have a small amount and then bring onboard or have them drink water or lemonade.

That is not stealing...that is common sense.

Two adults sharing a card...well.....

I found the main time a soda card was REALLY used (and paid for itself;) ) was our last cruise when my daughter literally stayed with the teen group. We bought her soda sticker and mug, and after that, no other drinks were bought except one frozen virgin drink the night they had a dance. (She mainly drank juice and water bottles on excursions, but drank plenty of soda with the teens.)

I was surprised that she could forget her card, and the batenders that the teens went to, knew who had the stickers, and who didn't! My daughter could just walk up and ask for a coke by day 3, and it was served with a smile, and not a card shown! After the first night at dinner, the waiter knew she had a sticker, and if she had an empty soda glass in front of her, a fresh soda immediately took its place....really messed them up when she would ask for iced tea!

Like other posters have said, just get out the calculator, and figure out if they will drink at least 3-4 sodas a DAY. If they don't pay individually...save some bucks;) !

Have a GREAT cruise!

Take Care,

Jaime

I cannot believe how many responses I got over this one. My kids are 16, 16, 13 and 11....so I think that they will all be drinking the soda or juices. I am sure being out in the hot sun, they will be thirsty. Their biggest thing that they love is gatorade. Do they even sell that on the ship to purchase. If so how much?

We have been on three cruises so far (4th coming up in November) and my DH always got Diet Coke at dinner (in a glass) at no extra charge and refilled as needed. However, you are only allowed to do this during dinner. I will be buying DH a soda card as he will get his monies worth. I like Diet Coke also, but will just buy mine when needed as I will not be able to get my monies worth.

My wife cannot drink caffine so I was wondering if they served decaffinated tea onboard? I normmaly bring a couple of 12 packs on board to have in the room. I also buy a soda card to use when I am not in the room.

Hi Lisa!

I've never seen Gatorade onboard a ship, so you might want to bring a few bottles of those with you (especially if you have some excursion planned where they might get overheated.) If you're going to a port that might have it, bring a few bottles back onboard with you.

(Sorry folks, I can't drink soda at all, in fact nothing bubbly, and I get tired of tea, water and lemonade, so I do grab a few flavored waters at ports that have them!)

Take care,

Jaime

My wife cannot drink caffine so I was wondering if they served decaffinated tea onboard? I normmaly bring a couple of 12 packs on board to have in the room. I also buy a soda card to use when I am not in the room.

The Explorer had several decaf/herbal options in tea bags. There was no decaf iced tea that I saw, but you could always brew your own and add it to ice. Not the most convenient, but do-able.

Amazing!

Do you people really encourage your children to drink soda all day long... and also with meals? Have you ever wondered why the US has such a problem with obesity and diabetes.

Sorry to be so direct but it shocks me and I feel sorry for the kids.

Well on the cruise it's soda, juice or lemonade for kids, all with high sugar. Otherwise water, but no bargains on water on the ship. Bring your own or get your kids to drink diet. :) One good option is to ask for 2/3 club soda and 1/3 juice - lowers sugar a lot and so you can have 3 for the sugar of 1.

We have been on three cruises so far (4th coming up in November) and my DH always got Diet Coke at dinner (in a glass) at no extra charge and refilled as needed. However, you are only allowed to do this during dinner. I will be buying DH a soda card as he will get his monies worth. I like Diet Coke also, but will just buy mine when needed as I will not be able to get my monies worth.

They stopped the free soda with dinner a few years ago... now only tea, coffee and water are free with dinner, maybe juice but not sure.

Oh my god, I did not want to start any problems here, I am buying 6 individual soda pass cards, don't want to feel "guilty" here, or set a bad impression for my kids. I was just thinking out loud, that's all.

Lisa, do what you think is best for you and your family. Don't let the collective frowns of some of the people here dictate ANYTHING you may or may not want to do with the soda cards. You're paying for your vacation, no one else is.

Does anyone know if they have caffeine free diet coke on board? I'm considering the soda card for me, but I definitely won't drink 4 "regular" diet cokes a day.

No caffeine free diet coke that I've ever seen. If they do have it, it will be in a can, and won't be available on the soda card.

The drinks that are available on the soda card (fountain drinks): Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, tonic water, and juices.

Other sodas available, but not available on the soda card because you can only get them in the can: Diet Sprite and Ginger Ale.

Wow - threads like this will turn people away from this great helpful message board. Makes people afraid to post a question because obviously you'll be judged. No one asked for parental advice. Most Americans like Europeans DO look after their kids. Lisa, your post leads me to think your husband and you may just be happy ordering by the drink.

Thanks to those of you who answered my question about when ordering one soft drink at dinner that there will be no refills included.

Happy Cruising! :)

This is no longer the case. I have been on 3 RCI's in the alst 2 years and have always paid for my soda in the dining room. They only bring the soda in a glass and give unlimited refills if you have the soda sticker. You will only have to show it the first night and your waiter should have your soda waiting for you everynight after that.

Also, yes they do serve soda in a can(accompanied by a glass) in the dining room. That is how it comes if you are buying them individually from the bar server.

what happened to arzier's post?

for those who still let your kids drink soda all the time... keep in mind that a 12 oz can of coke has 155 caloires in it... If your kid is drinking 3-4 or more can s in one day, they are consuming 1/3 to 1/2 of their daily recommended calories in empty calories and consuming chemicals that could be detrimental to the general health (not to mention damaging to their teeth!)

and don't think diet drinks are any better - sure they may not have the empty calories, but the sugar substitues are definately bad for them and there have been several studies that show that diet sodeas actually increase your craving for sweets and fatty foods. Many consumers also have the mistaken notion that having a diet soda instead of a regular one negates the calories in the other foods the're eating (come on - how many of us have ordered that really huge sundae and then gotten a diet soda to go with it so they didn't have hte "extra" calories??)

lately they have also been saying to too much juice can be a negative too - the sticky sweetness of a lot of juices can activate the sweet tooth too..

Not judging, just passing on information...

oh topic??

Ethics are what you do when no one is watching you. In the end, it doesn't really matter what we on this board think about you sharing a soda card. It is between you and your conscience to decide whether two people sharing a card intended for one person is right or wrong. Since you had to ask the question, you already know the answer...

I debated about the soda card also and have pretty much decided against it. My husband drinks iced tea and my son doesn't drink a lot of soda. I was told that the iced tea and lemonade were free. Is this correct? I was also told that it would be a good idea to maybe buy a bottle of water (I guess they are large bottles) and we could bring our own iced tea packets. I figured a soda once in a while would be a treat for Max. Any thoughts on this?

Pam

I am cruising on NOS in August with DH and 3 kids (10, 13, and 16). I do plan on getting cards for all of us. I'm sure I'll get my money's worth with the kids drinking soda. I rarely have it in the house, but whenever I do, they drink it like they've never had it before. My hubby and I, however, are getting the cards moreso for the juices. But I do have a question -- what about water? Does the card pay for water, or do we have to pay for that separately? If it's separate, I guess I'm better off bringing some onboard with me...

It's not a big deal. I got a soda card on our cruise and every once in a while my dh would take a sip . We would never get two glasses , he would take some of mine. I think it's funny how some people think it's stealing when RCCL charges $60 for a soda card. Now that's stealing , and to top it off they give you a tiny insulated cup and they fill that with ice , just to make it as inconveniant as possible. For $60 i can purchase 24 12 packs of soda. Unreal.

Archived