Sitka & Juneau Help Please

twoatsea

Hi all. We are going roundtrip Seattle on the HAL Westerdam, Hubbard Glacier, from 7/9 - 7/16/06. :) We have taken an Alaska cruise before, so we are not interested in repeating excursions. But we are interested in the activities listed below. I would very much appreciate help with the following:

SITKA -

1. RAPTOR CENTER - Is there a way for us to get to there on our own, such as walking or public transportation? If so, how far is the walk? We don't want to rent a car or take a tour. Anyone know the hours of operation for the center?

2. We will be in port on Thurs. 7/13 from 8am-4pm. We would like to also take the Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest tour offered by HAL. Is there time to take the 3 hour tour at 8am, return to ship, have lunch, & get to and see the Raptor Center & back?

3. Is there a way to hop on a local sea otter tour at the dock or...? I don't want to book in advance; prefer flexibility.

JUNEAU -

1. We are considering the HAL Rain Forest & Sea Coast Nature Walk. However, we would prefer walking the trails on our own (& saving $69 each:eek: ). Is that possible, such as, getting to the walk area, open to the public, safety, etc. If so, how do we get to it - walk, bus, taxi?

2. If on our own is not feasible, is there a local tour company at the dock or .....? Again, don't want to book in advance.

3. Anyone walked this area? Is it worth the time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi! We did Westerdam on May 28. In Sitka, we tendered in early. Right where we docked, some people from town had booths. We stopped there and picked up a map and the woman we talked with told us everything was very do able by walking. We walked about a mile to the Totem National Park. After walking through the park (free) we ended up on a highway that led to the Raptor Center, about another half mile. I enjoyed the Totem Park immensely. The forest was so peaceful and we saw many bald eagles. The mile walk to the Totem Park was very pleasant. On the way, walking a little through town, an in town park, along a cove where boats were docked. Very pretty. We also stopped in at a college's aquarium along the way. I think we got into town around 8 AM. After doing all this, we were back in town for lunch around 1:30. At the raptor center, we took their walking tour. I was not as impressed with this as I thought I would be, but I'm glad we did it. We walked all the way, took tons of pictures, did not hurry. We enjoyed it very much. We also hiked to the top of a hill for a great view! We ate lunch in town and shopped in the afternoon, returning to the ship by tender at 3:30.

Have fun!

I can't help with Juneau as we did Captain Larry's whale watch (NEAT!) and zip lined in the forest (VERY NEAT!)

>>We walked about a mile to the Totem National Park. After walking through the park (free) ...<<

Actually, there s a $4 fee, though many people don't go into the office to pay (the $4 includes admission to the Bishop's House).

I don't recommend booking a sea otter tour on the dock at Sitka after talking to people on our cruise 2 weeks ago who got bady burned. We got an amazing tour on the Esther G Sea Taxi, while they saw almost nothing.

Murray

Thanks Marie & Yukon for the info.....

Marie - Why was the Raptor Center not as great as you thought it would be? Sorry your cruise is over :( but how was the Westerdam, especially the food :D ! Sounds like we will have time to take an otter tour & walk to the other places.

Yukon - The Esther G. Sea Taxi - what is that; an independently booked tour or with the cruise line? What cruiseline/ship were you on & did you like it?

In Sitka, I also took the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest through Davey and his Esther G boat. He takes no more than 6 people and goes out of his way to make sure you have a great trip. We saw puffins, eagles, falcon, and more birds than I can remember at St. Lazaria Island, starfish, otter holding a baby otter, and an amazing encounter between a humpback whale and 3 adult orcas and a baby orca. www.puffinsandwhales.com I book independently to avoid crowds and have better chances for taking great pictures. You won't be disappointed.

Sarah HAL Westerdam 6/04/06

The Raptor Center is easily walked to if you have no mobility limitations, there is an all day shuttle bus for $10 that drops off there. Otherwise it's about a 20 min. slow walk, some up hill. The Raptor Center is not a zoo, and I think it extremely interesting and deserving of the admission. http://www.alaskaraptor.org/AboutArc/Overview.cfm

Definately consider an independent for you boat tour. The operator I used to go with was just wonderful and offered me fantastic trips.

Archived