Lactaid on Ships??

Hi,

My family is set to sail on the FOS in September and my dd who will be 21 months then drinks Lactaid. I know the refrigerator in the room isn't big enough to store a few half gallons, so does RCCL have it on their ships? I can't imagine her going a whole week without her milk. :eek: Help!!!

Too bad they don't still have the drops, that's what I used when my kid was small. They don't have them in the US, but they do in Canada. You could then order the milk from room service and treat it. As with the tablets, I would ask a doctor how to cut them down into the proper dose, grind them up (my mom used to just crush pills between 2 spoons) and disolve it in a little juice. Mom (an old-time RN) use to give us pills in a little bit of jelly.

I don't know that I could get a toddler to take pills??

They do have disovable ones Lactaid Ualtra or Lactaid Fast acting. They are the ones I use all the time. you can buy a box of 32 for about $15. Oh and they tast ok, ther not the gratest. It tast like vanilla

I know the refrigerator in the room isn't big enough to store a few half gallons

:confused: :confused:

When we cruised Mariner a few weeks ago we moved the fridge shelf to the very top "rung" and we stored two 2-liter bottles of soda AND one 1-gallon bottle of water in it the whole time....

I think you may be misjudging the size of the fridge....unless the ones on the ship you are going on are greatly reduced in size....

:confused:

We were on the ROS last September and they had Lactaid free milk in quart cartons at the serving stations in the Windjammer. You just needed to ask for it. My big baby (DW) has to have it, so it was nice the ship had it.

Bill

Thanks for all the help! I will put in a special request and see what happens. I am going by the fridge on the Disney Ships. I'm not sure what the size is on the Freedom of the Seas. Anyone know? I'll have to ask my pediatrician about the drops or the pills. Anyways, thanks again for your help.:) :)

Good luck on that one, for what it's worth, my kid grew out of the problem, but I was told it was only because I used the Lactaid when he needed it, some do, some don't is what I am told and some develop the intolerance later in life. Let us know what happens and what advice you rec'd from the doc. it will help others later, I'm sure. Too bad it doesn't come in the Chugs type bottles. Those are so secure that you can put them on their sides, even if you have opened them and not worry about them. They also come in various size. The UHT cartons would be great as well, as they don't have to be refrigerated until opened. Wonder why they stopped the drops here, they were so convienent and a LOT cheaper in the long run. Again, best wishes, I know how hard it can be. There is also the possibility that the cruise line would store most of the milk for you and you could store the rest in your room fridge if there isn't enough room. It is in the med catagory, and they do that with insulin when necessary.

My sister lives in Canada. I'll see if she can get me the drops. Milk does horrible things to my little ones body. We tried soy milk for a while, and it was better, but still not good. Lactaid does the trick. I hope she grows out of it. My oldest daughter had it also, but not as bad. She can tolerate milk now, but isn't a huge fan of it. Maybe RCCL will have pity on me and store the milk for me:confused: Thanks again for the help.

When we were on Jewel of the Seas last October, I noticed cartons of Lactaid in the Seaview Cafe, and inquired because one of our grandkids is lactose intolerant. I was told that while it is generally available throughout the fleet it is a good idea to make a special request a few weeks prior to our sailing to insure that it will be there.

Here is the link for info on the Canadian drops:http://www.digestmilk.com/lacteeze.html It gives directions on the how to use them and how much, but I would still run it by the ped to make sure. Maybe you could print out the article and show it to them and they could work out the smaller quantities for you. It does take a while to work, but you could take your own container and just use the ship's milk via the buffet tap or room service. Some room service use the smaller cartons when you order it.

Also, put start a thread for the ship you are going on for fridge size for the ship and cabin type you have book and I'm sure a former cruiser will help. I have done that on other ?'s and people have been great about answering. Just make the title fit what you want to get the best response.

Again, you ped doc should be able to tell you whether you can use the chewable tabs, how much of one, and have suggestions how to give them to her. I've also heard that the vanilla ones taste good. If she doesn't grow out of it, you will be carrying them on you anyway in the near future.

Lactose intolerance is a family tradition with us!!:D

Just to be on the safe side, take a little bottle of the over-the-counter tabs, or get some from your pediatrician. They probably have samples you can take, and they can tell you the dose. The tablets can be constipating if too much is taken....(I KNOW....TMI!!! LOL)

Anyway, the previous posters idea about crushing them between two spoons is right on the button. They actually taste pretty good. I'd mix them with a little of any kind of soft food: applesauce, softserve ice cream, jelly, mashed potatoes.

This way if you cannot get enough of the liquid from the serving stations in the 'Jammer, you have a backup plan.

Archived