adventure ocean questions

It totally depends on many issues....how many children there are in each group to begin with, the maturity level of each child, and how the AO staff feels about it. (they may have already had 10 families ask for the same request and in the end will have to turn them all down). Also, the usual practice is that the child who is moving groups...IF allowed to move... will have to first attend one session or one activity in the age appropriate group. ( this can be a 20 minute art activity... doesnt have to be the whole day). But, please understand that though it has been done before... it really depends on the circumstances of YOUR particular sailing. You can find AO compasses on line to show your children the activities from each age level. This can get them excited about trying new things and preparing for a great adventure!!!!!

thank you both i had already called and asked and they said it shouldnt be a problem but i have heard so many of you say that the answers always change just wanted to make sure .Does anyone know how much to tip the caregivers?

Been on many cruises and this is not allowed -unless the older goes to the younger group. That is all they will allow you to do. The younger will not be allowed to join the older. I do not tip them at all...they are paid a salary. I guess if my kids were there tons i may change my mind but they are never there tons of time. Too many things to do on the Voyager class ships for them, ages 9 and 11.

Lucygirl:

What is the adenture oceans potion card? My daughter is 10 and she has sailed on the Voyage class ships 4 times in the last few years and I have never head of it. Unless it relates to the teen area. There are no drinks available other than water in the adventure ocean area as far as I can remember.

Have a good day.

Been on many cruises and this is not allowed -unless the older goes to the younger group. That is all they will allow you to do. The younger will not be allowed to join the older. I do not tip them at all...they are paid a salary. I guess if my kids were there tons i may change my mind but they are never there tons of time. Too many things to do on the Voyager class ships for them, ages 9 and 11.

We sailed on the Mariner last week and my 11 year old daughter was allowed to be in with the 12-14 year old group because she turned 12 today (2 days after we got off the ship) I talked with the AO staff on the first night, and given how close she was, they were happy to accommodate her, but made it clear to me that they do observe them and if they don't feel they are fitting in, they will move them. It wasn't a problem. This was our first cruise, so I don't know how it is on other ships.

This shouldn't be an issue. I've had my 2 girls 2 1/2 years apart in the same group. Talk to the counselers the first day and determine which age group they both will be in.

Two children could be 34 months different in age and be in the same group, or 2 months different in age and be in different group. It all depends on how they fit in the age groups. The age groups are 3 years each ( 3-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14 & 15-17). So one child could be 9 years + 1 month (109 months) old and be in the same group as another child who is 11 years + 11 months (143 months) old, while the child that is 11 years + 11 months old (143 months) will be in a different group than one who is 12 years + 1 month old (145 months).

Your chances of getting an 8 year old and a 9 year old in the same group will depend on the number of children in each group. For example, if the 6-8 age group has 80 kids and the 9-11 age group has 40 kids, there is a chance of moving the 8 year old up. Also, how close is the 8 year old to being nine, and how long has the 9 year been 9? For example if the 8 year old is 8 years + two weeks and the 9 year old is 9 years + two weeks, then it is more likely they will be willing to move the 9 year old down.

The best advise is, explain to the counselor why you want to keep the kids together, be willing to compromise a bit, and most likely you can work something out. However, if you are the 50th parent asking to have a child moved up, the counselors might not be too willing to allow the change.

To answer about the ocean potion card.... this is no longer offered. That was many years back ( it was a fu fu drink card for kids to get virgin drinks). The only drink package offered for kids is the soda card. However, children can not get sodas while in adventure ocean. They only have water available for them. (except for the teens of course)

Archived