Disney vs the rest

Cruiser_Rich

My only two cruising experiences are with the two Disney cruises lines. Excellent on all acpects but way over priced. Planning a fall cruise to the Caribbean with anyone else but Disney. Have mostly been researching Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Will be a family vacation and must have a balacony. Whats your advice:confused:

I Have Never Cruised Carnival So, I Can't Speak On That. But, Royal Caribbean Is Just Awesome!!! The Enchantment Of The Seas Is Fabulous And So Is The Voyager Class!!! Happy Sailing And Put Your Toes In The Sand For Me.

If you went on Disney, which is hands down the best family cruise anywhere, I am assuming that you have children.

With children, Carnival's "Camp Carnival" program is the very best non-Disney cruise that you can get for your children.

Disney is the best for kids, but you will pay up to 10 times the price.

HAving sailed a few times CArnival and only once on VOyager of the seas I stil will pick carnival because its cheaper. We were able to cruise voyager because at the time it was cheaper then carnival.

#2- carnival offered me different choices for night time activities. On Voyager we found ourselves bored a few times.

Both are comparable with food and service.. go with whatever is the cheaper.

I've been on all three. Disney is tremendous...cabins are nicer, you rotate amond the three restaurants, private island...wow! That was our first cruise. I'd go back in a minute, but it's too pricey.

Went on Carnival Victory to Canada w/BF and no kids. The ship was beautiful and I thought they have more activities on their "FUN SHIPS." Food was great. Kids we saw seemed occupied. You get a lot for your $. Had ov cabin...it was fine.

Went on RC's Explorer of the Seas to Caribbean with kids, no BF. It's a close call...I preferred this ship...the indoor Promenade is not to be believed. My girls cried on the last night because they did not want to leave the friends they made in the Adventure Ocean program. Food was great, but Carnival's might be a bit better. Activities were fun, but Carnival definitely offers more to do, more karaoke, etc. Definitely loved the Solarium in the aft area...adults only pool with two hot tubs, Mediterranean decor...sigh. I'll miss it. Shows in evening were great. We didn't get to go to their private island on Hispaniola due to the civil unrest in Haiti at that time, so they sent us to Nassau (boring). So, I can't comment as to their private beach.

I've never had a balcony, so I can't comment on that. Disney's cabin was the nicest by far, though...full bath, plus another half, larger, better decorated, beautiful woodwork, and so on.

Leaving tomorrow on the Carnival Legend to Eastern Caribbean. I probably would have picked RC again, but price won out. I'm really looking forward to another Carnival experience, though!:)

I would recommend that you make your choice based on pricing and itinerary for the dates you are able to travel. Whichever one you choose, simply try the other line the next time...for we all know, THERE'S ALWAYS A NEXT TIME!:D

The only problem is that there is going to be a heavy comparison factor while actually on the cruise. We followed up a Disney cruise with a Carnival line and were heavily disappointed on our first Carnival cruise. We kept comparing everything to Disney, and Disney kept winning (especially for the age group my sister and I were in at the time 14 and 17-Disney seemed to have a much better teen program, at the time Carnival's was practically nonexistant). We couldn't afford another Disney cruise, so we went with Carnival again for the next one b/c we could afford it, and LOVED it. When we were more removed from Disney, it was far better. We booked another Carnival cruise the next year and again had an amazing time.

IMO, when compared Disney vs. Carnival directly, Disney wins b/c they really do everything the best they can (and you pay more money for them to be able to do it). However, if you can avoid sitting there and thinking how every experience compares to how Disney did things, it won't matter because you will still have a great time (as we learned on our 2nd Carnival cruise).

As I'm sure you know ... when you book Disney, you pay Disney prices. Along with that name comes expectations of service and quality, granted. I'm in the opposite situation ... I want to book a Disney cruise but have a hard time justifying it when I can usually book 2-3 Carnival cruises for the same price. In terms of Royal and Carnival, you probably can't go wrong with most ships on either. The main thing (and this goes for any person trying out new companies) is not to make yourself miserable saying ... XXXX was so much better on XXXX while actually one the cruise. Post-cruise reflection, though, is always a good idea. :)

My only two cruising experiences are with the two Disney cruises lines. Excellent on all acpects but way over priced. Planning a fall cruise to the Caribbean with anyone else but Disney. Have mostly been researching Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Will be a family vacation and must have a balacony. Whats your advice:confused:

I've cruised on all three and I would either do a new Freedom of the Seas on Royal Caribbean or a conquest type ship on Carnival. Really depends what you want.

By the way Disney is not overpriced. You get what you pay for

Guest YesitDonna

I have done Disney as well and thought it was great. One aspect I really liked is the adult only area up on deck. I think every cruise line should have an adult only pool. I know some ships SAY they have one but the problem is.. enforcement!!!! I hope Carnival will follow suit with an adult only area, I think it would be a big selling point. How often on the boards do you see the question about... is there a lot of kids?

We've sailed on RCCL, Disney, Princess and Carnival and IMO if I had to choose just one it would be difficult. They all offer something different and I really think it basically boils down to what you are looking for from the particular cruise you are looking to book. As far as the kids go, all have good programs for them with Carnival probably falling next in line right after Disney but the other 2 companies have good programs as well.

Happy Cruising!

Study your ship and what you would like on have for your vacation. I've been on Carnival twice and Princess once. I liked Carnival better. The food was better and they didn't charge you for things like ice cream (it was free one hour out of each day, two flavors only) & juice. Pizza and ice cream are available 24 when it wasn't on Princess.

Ask yourself what is important to you and your family during the week that you will be gone. I don't have any children but I've heard rave reviews regarding the Camp Kids program on Carnival.

Stay on this board for great advice or ask a Travel Agent who can give you what you want when you ask questions.

We were on the Disney Magic feb. 2002. The next cruise we took was a NCL cruise March (spring break) 2004. During the NCL cruise my oldest daughter looked at me and said, "mom, this cruise is so much more fun than the Disney cruise". Needless to say I about fell over. We had a great time on the Magic but I honestly think that there were less kids on the NCL cruise (eventhough it was spring break) and I think my kids got a lot more personal attention from the staff on NCL. They also did a lot more crafts and quiet activities and not so much dancing and acting type activities.

Bottom Line - Our entire family LOVES cruising and we have found it to be the perfect family vacation. I think as long as you choose a cruise with a recommended kids club your kids will love it.

We, too, have done all 3, Spirit Class only on Carnival. It's tough when asking about the kids program because kids age quickly and the older they get, the less I found they like the program. My teen girls preferred Carnival and my younger son, RCI. Nothing compares to Disney in the mass marketing venue but they are priced very high IMHO. It was definitely one of the best experiences in my life. Did RCI AOS and was very impressed with the ship overall. Hated the food except in Portofino's which was excellent and Johnny Rockets which was fun. Alot of cute bars on the promenade and we loved the bar on the top deck, I think it was called the Crown and Anchor but I thought the ship was dead at night. Definitely preferred the Carnival cabins but we were spoiled with a corner Cat. 11 but the kids had an 8 which was better than their RCI cabin. Entertainment I give the edge to Carnival in quality but RCI has great variety.

You can't make a wrong choice with either Carnival or RCI. I just prefer Carnival Spirit class because of the smaller size. AOS was too big for me.

We actually prefer Carnival over Disney, alot more adult participation for us. The kids programs are not going to be up to par with Disney but they are still fantastic programs. The kids enjoyed both and now that they are teens actually prfer Carnival.

IMO after being on both the Magic and Wonder along with 6 other ships its just NOT worth the extra

word011.gif

And I'm a Disney fanatic ! :D

Also remember that these two ships are aging quickly with NO new ships in their future!

After my then 6 year old had four cruises under her belt, two on Disney, and two on Carnival, I asked which she liked better, when trying to plan her fifth cruise.

Her response? "ALL OF THEM".

So we booked another Carnival cruise.

She's yet to be in any of the camps.

I love Disney Cruise Line and think everyone should try it once (or maybe twice). But there's no reason to do Disney over and over again. It is a unique experience and once you've done it, you've done it.

I think (you did ask for our personal opinions) that Carnival is the best cruise value. I'd recommend the Spirit class as I think they are the prettiest, best layout and feel the least crowded of the Carnival ships.

But if you can get a good fare, I also recommend Royal Caribbean's Voyager class. Is it worth $200 - $500 more per person...not in my opinion. But sometimes you can find great deals and those ships are awesome. I think RCI is quite comparable to Carnival - staterooms a little smaller, food & entertainment very similar, service maybe a little better, but the atmosphere is a little more upscale.

Rich

I have been on all 3 lines also. I agree that Disney is great, but also greatly overpriced. Price aside, I personally prefer Celebrity or Holland America to Disney (and they were much cheaper too). Of the 3 you mention, Carnival was by far the best buy for us. Me, my wife and our 2 kids just returned from a cruise on the Glory. I would highly recommend the Glory. Food was excellent, service was very good. We have also been on the Mariner of the Seas. It was nice, but way overpriced!

Carnival will give you the most choices of itinerary. Before you book, I would find out from my TA the age of the ship and what kind of experience to expect. I hear that the 3 or 4 day cruises do tend to be more of a "party" atmosphere? Of course, that holds true for most cruise lines.

We have been on the Wonder, Magic, and Inspiration. I thought the food and shows (Both the Performances and Seating arrangements) were better on Disney. Service was great on both. One of the things our whole family really enjoyed on Disney that was missing from the Inspiration was Castaway Cay. My DD(9) preferred Disney just because of the Princesses (she was 4 and 7 when we sailed with them). She did not care for the kids club on any of the ships neither did DS(12). They preferred to be with us. Because of the cost we will be going on the Elation this year. We are hoping that Half Moon Cay will be as good as Castaway Cay was. The kids are looking forward to it. While Disney edges out Carnival on food and shows, you get what you pay for. We did not expect the same quality on Carnival that we received on Disney and were not disappointed with any of cruises on either line. Have fun and I hope this helps with any decision you make.:)

For kids Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Princess would be my suggestions. They are all wonderful. Adventure Ocean on RCI ships is awesome, I have heard wonderful things about Camp Carnival, and I had a great time on Princess a couple years ago. My first choice however would be-

for 5-12-Adventure, Voyager, & Explorer of the Seas ; all C.C & Princess

for 13-17 Mariner or Navigator of the Seas and Conquest Class Carnival ships

Archived