How do you know if you're booked on a theme cruise?

pogieone

I googled...nothing Mariner Spetember 16, 2007...and there are no balconies left..haven' t been for quite some time!

fianl payment is coming due soon-- ill bet yousee availabilty of balconies about 5 days after that.

lots of people will cancel--

agents that are holding cabins for a group must give them back at that time.

keep an eye on it right after final payment

My only two cruises have been with a group. A group of Christian singles, I might add.

I'd like to think that we were fairly unobtrusive. We used one of the lounges for meetings during the day (most of the other watering holes were open), and at night, depending on the ship, we used either the conference room or one of our staterooms. And while we never openly proselytized, we did put a notice on the community bulletin board that our praise and worship/Bible study sessions were open to all on board the ship.

If you're looking to avoid this group, though, just check my signature to see when we're cruising and on what ship. It's always there.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sailing January 28-February 2. So I googled my month and found the following:

Lynyrd Skynard Cruise January 10-14

The Rock Boat (I never heard of any of them except Toad the Wet Sprocket) on January 19-24

THEN the Motley Cruise (as in Motley Crue) January 24-28.

I board the 28th. My question is (jokingly) will the ship still be in one piece, or will smashed guitars be lining the railings? Maybe they should name it Hard Rock Imagination.:p

I'd much rather go on the Celebrity Chef Chocoholic Cruise on Costa Meditterania January 5-12, sponsored by the Food Network!

My first cruise was on Explorer of the Seas. Turned out to be 450 crazed Mah Jongg players on our ship. The third place team was two cabins from us. Their trophy was about 6 feet high. Of course, half of the group was from New York like us, and when they found out my husband grew up in Brooklyn, they all fell in like with him. It was VERY amusing!

Robin

• 2 weeks later...
If you google your ship and date you should come up with something. And, just because there is a group scheduled on your ship doesn't mean they have the whole ship booked.

This is far from comprehensive though

Headz Up! was started a few years ago to fill a need for busy African-Americans to quickly find a diverse listing of quality cultural events in one location. While there are several websites that specialize in a particular event type in a specific city, none provided a list for the Mid-Atlantic region with a wide variety.

On our Events Local Calendar, you'll find the a list of cruises, music and festical, sporting and cultural event.

For those who are looking for a quite and relaxing getaway, visit the Spa, Wellness and B&B links, there's something here for everyone.

We hope you find our site meets your needs! No more surfing around to find a play here, a concert, there.

MISSION

Our mission is simple. "To be the premiere resource for individuals to locate, promote, support and network with African American businesses, organizations and affiliations."

We provide this service at little or no cost to our viewers or to the businesses that choose to advertise on web site. Go to Events Local Calendar.

How can you find out when the HOH cruise is going on?

the only way-- google.

or call the agency-

Travel agents or cruiselines will not give out that information

In the past I've never noticed any groups on my cruises. Either there weren't any or they were very unobtrusive. I decided to Google our upcoming Carnival Elation cruise out of San Diego and discovered that several web sites are selling it as a Gay & Lesbian Halloween cruise. It just surprised me because I hadn't thought of the possibility of a "themed" or group cruise before. I'm not sure how I feel about it since it's the first time I'm actually cruising with my family & not just my husband.

I don't blame my travel agent or anyone else for not telling us about the group cruise - how would she have had that information? I'm wondering if Carnival would let us know how much of the cruise will be part of the group or if that is private info. I guess I am just wondering what to expect & would appreciate any information.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

:rolleyes: Since looking for a vacation on this site and tripadvisor.com, I was surprised at how many people gave resorts a low rating because of us dastardly cruise tourist showing up in their port of call just to ruin their holiday at a resort they were staying. And, I think to myself, the cruise vacationers are spending about $30.00 an hour on these shore excursions, but leave it others to have this "Us and Them" mentallity, just like here. It doesn't matter who is on which ship, people have to accept diversity, and enjoy meeting others from different backgrounds and cultures and interests.....it's called obtaining cultural capital. If you don't want that then maybe have a vacation at your restricted country clubs, where everyone is cookie cutter images of each other, and can look down on the rest of us. Is this the haves and have mores?????:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Emerald - When/what ship are you going on? I'm going on a knitter's cruise at the end of the month.

I wonder what happens when you cross knitters with a murder mystery group... death by knitting needle perhaps?

As every Agatha Christie fan knows---you get Miss Marple!

Anne

... of cruises from one group for the year or so. Found it doing a google search.

http://www.soulofamerica.com/cruises/index.html

Thanks, I've been looking for this group ever since a lady we met at a wedding mentioned she'd taken a cruise with them recently. She said they were very well organized, had interesting activities and had good respectable people cruising But she got the name just wrong enough that I couldn't find them! Too bad I found out about their over 40 cruise so late, it would have been fun. Oh well, there's always next year.

What I'd like to know is how you find out if a group you're interested in has a good track record and is compatible with you? It'd be awful to book a cruise with a group and find out they're a bunch of rude and rowdy folk.

Anne

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's what I'm wondering...

There is a Cruise to Music cruise aboard the Costa Fortuna in March that is advertised (sponsored?) by Online Vacation Center featuring Three Dog Night and Lovin' Spoonful. Now, can anyone participate with the music activities, lectures, etc. or only passengers that have booked thru Online Vacation Center? Thanks for any info.

Here's what I'm wondering...

There is a Cruise to Music cruise aboard the Costa Fortuna in March that is advertised (sponsored?) by Online Vacation Center featuring Three Dog Night and Lovin' Spoonful. Now, can anyone participate with the music activities, lectures, etc. or only passengers that have booked thru Online Vacation Center? Thanks for any info.

only the people who booked the theme cruise will be able to participate in the activities done by the groups. If booking with that grroup you get passes etc that entitle you to those things

• 1 month later...

In order to participate in the activities with the music group, you must first buy the "Package" and you will get a sticker on your boarding card. We did this in January, and it was a blast. The entertainment was way better than that offered by the ship.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Zydeco? Bikers? OMG- And I just want a cruise where I can relax, unwind and do nothing. Guess I had better check and see who else may be on my upcoming cruise; I did not know there were "theme cruises"....

What would preclude you from relaxing, unwinding, and relaxing on a theme cruise or a cruise that has a group of people with the same interests. Most of the time a true theme cruise would charter the entire ship and you would have to book through that group. Otherwise it is a large group of people with common interests on the same cruise. They aren't taking up the entire ship so it is open to everyone and only their group specific events are closed to everyone else and not the entire ship. Would being on a ship with a lot of large people, little people, hispanic people, or black people or whomever the group consists of, make you so uncomfortable the you could not "relax, unwind, and do nothing"? If so, maybe you should charter a yacht and you can do that by yourself...

What would preclude you from relaxing, unwinding, and relaxing on a theme cruise or a cruise that has a group of people with the same interests. Most of the time a true theme cruise would charter the entire ship and you would have to book through that group. Otherwise it is a large group of people with common interests on the same cruise. They aren't taking up the entire ship so it is open to everyone and only their group specific events are closed to everyone else and not the entire ship. Would being on a ship with a lot of large people, little people, hispanic people, or black people or whomever the group consists of, make you so uncomfortable the you could not "relax, unwind, and do nothing"? If so, maybe you should charter a yacht and you can do that by yourself...

Many people have noticed that large groups (no matter their make up) tend to get a slight mob mentality and sort of take things over and think the whole cruise is there for them and the rest of the passengers are in their way. Even in the areas that haven't been closed off just for them. (I experienced this with a large family reunion group on my first cruise).

Also people resent paying full price for a cruise and then not having full access to all the facilities and amenities that they would have if the group wasn't on the cruise. (Fortunately this hasn't happened to me).

Archived