How do you know if you're booked on a theme cruise?

pogieone

Well I can tell you this. I called Carnival this morning and asked about my Oct 22 sailing on the Valor and if there were any groups going on that sailing. She said there were THREE LARGE GROUPS.

Now she said she could not tell me who these groups were. Now I am a bit concerned because I don't want these groups taking over the ship!!!!!:( :( :(

I was looking into a country music theme cruise and found a " couples cruise" for the same sailing. In the couples thread they talked of clothing optional :eek: I'm sure not everyone would be happy this group was along!

One way to check is to do a web search (google, yahoo, etc.). Enter your ship name and sailing date. If there is a large group sailing it just might be advertised. No guarantee that anything will show up but it is worth a try.

This maybe a dumb question, but how do you know if you're booked on a theme cruise? .

You usually don't until you get on the elevator with a couple of Klingons, a Vulcan, Darth Vader and Shrek :D

I mistakenly booked into a hotel that was hosting a small Weird Al Yankovich convention,it was...wierd...I found myself in the elevator with him, we were wearing the same Hawaiian shirt :eek:

Tried our best to listen to Zydeco during our cruise out of NO in 2004. Sorry but a Zydeco cruise would not be something we would ever consider. Then again we probably would enjoy a theme you would not. Thats what makes the world go around.

• 1 month later...

Somehow my fiancee stumbled upon information that our honeymoon cruise was going to also be a Hogs on the High Seas cruise ~ over 1600 bikers and biker chicks! Not that I have anything against them, but have you ever tried to go to Sturgis in a suit when they have their rally going on? Formal nights were changed into leather/chaps/jeans/tee shirts.:eek: Many activities and entertainment changed to cater them. If you want to see for yourself what I'm talking about, check out RCCI's Mariner on 11/5/06. Or google the Hogs name up above. Did the TA tell us about it? Not a word. Did we use her when we cancelled and rebooked? Not on your life. I think your TA should be on top of these things.

Post: Somehow my fiancee stumbled upon information that our honeymoon cruise was going to also be a Hogs on the High Seas cruise ~ over 1600 bikers and biker chicks!

Response: The "bikers and biker chicks" slickproductions is referring to are hard working professionals who have discovered the importance of living life, rather than existing. We are nurses, engineers, teachers, accountants, doctors, mechanics, business owners, airline pilots, firemen, policemen, dental hygienists, pharmacists, executives, veterinarians, dentists, physical therapists, hopefully you're beginning to get a clue. The Harley Owner's Group that I belong to donates an average of $15,000 - $20,000 per year to local charities. Do not confuse those who ride motorcycles with an unlawful biker gang.

Post: Not that I have anything against them, (it's obvious that slickproductions and his fiancée have plenty of stereotypical prejudices) but have you ever tried to go to Sturgis in a suit when they have their rally going on?

Response: What does wearing a suit in Sturgis during a motorcycle rally have to do with a Royal Caribbean cruise? Is slickproductions suggesting the HOHS cruisers, people he's never met, don't know how to behave in "polite society?" Folks who ride are generally resigned to stereotypical prejudice. They are also the first to stop and offer assistance to other travelers. I've never seen fellow riders gawk at those who are dressed differently from them.

Post: Formal nights were changed into leather/chaps/jeans/tee shirts.

Response: Yes, the HOHS group has arranged with RCCL for casual dress, and the group has it's own separate dining area. The change is applicable just to the HOHS group and doesn’t affect the other passengers. The following has been copied directly from the HOHS website: "The two formal nights for dinner we ask that you wear something leather. (Pants, vest, skirt, etc.) Please be discreet. The rest of the time, we will be wearing jeans and t-shirts, even for dinner. No profanity on T-Shirts, please!" If seeing fellow travelers in jeans and t-shirts is offensive I recommend booking on the QE2 or purchasing your own yacht. I've seen much more offensive clothing on non-HOHS cruises in the form of old lime green prom dresses, spandex gowns packed beyond their load limit, polyester leisure suits, etc.

Post: Many activities and entertainment changed to cater them. If you want to see for yourself what I'm talking about, check out RCCI's Mariner on 11/5/06. Or google the Hogs name up above.

Response: Like any other convention, HOHS has arranged for several group specific activities. Perhaps slickproductions wasn't happy about being ineligible for the HOHS specific contests and roughly $30K in cash giveaways. Fellow cruisers are welcome to join us, with just a few exceptions. This was explained on another bulletin board.

Post: Did the TA tell us about it? Not a word. Did we use her when we cancelled and rebooked? Not on your life. I think your TA should be on top of these things.

Response: Let me guess ... it's always someone else's fault. Prediction: Even if everything is perfect on this individual's Princess cruise he'll still find plenty to complain about. He can keep his $100 Tommy Bahama shirts and we'll keep our $30,000 Harley Davidson motorcycles. Trust me ... the Harley crowd is a much happier group of people.

Happy Cruising!

I took my boyfriend on his first cruise 3 years ago, we chose a short weekend cruise out of NYC so he could see if he would like it. It was on Carnival, we left during the black out.

Our cruise wasn't a "theme" but it did end up being a convention, basically, for a life insurance company. We knew who was with the life insurance company because they wore name tags everywhere. They were all in the same seating (late seating, I believe). If I had to guess, I'd say nearly 80 percent of the cruisers were part of that convention.

There were some advantages to it. Certain times of the day, they would all be in classes or meetings or whatever, and it was like we had the ship to ourself. (No one in the pool, or at the cafe.)

But there were disadvantages too. We couldn't have late seating because it was for their group only. (Instead, we were at Main Seating which was almost totally empty.) It seemed like a lot of the activities were pushed around their schedule, or were geared to their group. For example, there wasn't much going on in the big theatre during the day (movies, bingo or anything), because they had workshops or classes or whatever in there all day. Also, it seemed less friendly, we didn't meet anyone else really, because they were there for work - they were "networking" or busy on their own schedule.

The few times that we would meet someone that wasn't part of the insurance company, it was refreshing. We'd step on to the elevator, and there would be another couple without name tags and it was like "Wow," it was like seeing someone who finally speaks your language or something. We'd give each other a knowing look like "Can you believe this?"

Our TA had not told us it was a convention. I think we might have gone anyway, but it would have been nice to have the information. I don't think that we ever contacted our TA after to tell her. My boyfriend DID enjoy the cruise though (he was pretty convinced he was going to hate cruising) and we've been on a few more since then.:)

I want to be on the Hogs on the High Seas Cruise. I know they will have a great time and so will the lucky ones who've booked this cruise!!!;) You guys are great, interesting and professional people.

Ga-Fl Peach,

There are still some rooms left on the HOHS cruise in November! You WILL have the time of your life. You don't need to own a bike either.

:cool: Mike C. (3rd year in a row on a HOHS cruise.)

I am going on a Zydeco cruise in December which even the most uptight person would have the time of their life esp if hearing Zydeco for the first time.:)

Zydeco? Bikers? OMG- And I just want a cruise where I can relax, unwind and do nothing. Guess I had better check and see who else may be on my upcoming cruise; I did not know there were "theme cruises"....

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out that there is a Deaf Seniors of America Conference on our cruise next March 26th, on the Brilliance of the Seas. That should be interesting. At least they won't complain about all the noise that the kids that are out of school, will be making.

I just found out that there is a Deaf Seniors of America Conference on our cruise next March 26th, on the Brilliance of the Seas. That should be interesting. At least they won't complain about all the noise that the kids that are out of school, will be making.

LOL! that is so funny. I know you are serious, but you gave me a much needed laugh. I could just imagine a bunch of senior citizens screaming at each other:rolleyes: .

Okay, serious now...a previous post talked about zydeco:confused: what is that. New to this thread, but also wondering how you know if you are on a theme cruise.

New to this thread, but also wondering how you know if you are on a theme cruise.

I read on this thread that you can do a yahoo or google search for your cruise ship and date of cruise and it may come up and show that groups are cruising at the same time. I saw mine using google.

I read on this thread that you can do a yahoo or google search for your cruise ship and date of cruise and it may come up and show that groups are cruising at the same time. I saw mine using google.

I tried that so I must be lucky because I came up empty. Of course it could be fun too!

I tried that so I must be lucky because I came up empty. Of course it could be fun too!

My friend and her husband unknowingly went on a cruise during a Network Marketing / Multi-Level Marketing convention for a major company. Unfortunately, they were solicited everywhere they went... the dining room, the elevator, the pool, etc. It was their first cruise, and they refuse to go again because it was such a bad experience. I'm not bashing those involved in NM/MLMs, but I can see how it would be really annoying to be trying to enjoy your vacation and get stuck with a barrage of constant sales pitches instead.

My friend and her husband unknowingly went on a cruise during a Network Marketing / Multi-Level Marketing convention for a major company. Unfortunately, they were solicited everywhere they went... the dining room, the elevator, the pool, etc. It was their first cruise, and they refuse to go again because it was such a bad experience. I'm not bashing those involved in NM/MLMs, but I can see how it would be really annoying to be trying to enjoy your vacation and get stuck with a barrage of constant sales pitches instead.

I'm really surprised by that. I would think the cruise would enforce their rules against solicitations of any type on board. I know, for sure, that if anyone on our cruise full of insurance sales people had made a pitch, I would have complained to the cruise line in a major way.

• 1 month later...

What did you type into google to get that organization to come up.:confused:

I typed in carnival group valor september 23, 2007, the date we have picked to cruise next years. After reading the thread on the mail carnival board and reading several threads here, I was curious.

Archived