How do you know if you're booked on a theme cruise?

pogieone

When doing a search for groups on your sailing you may want to leave out the ship and line. Some groups only publicly list what dates and where the cruise will be going.

Also rememeber that a lot of groups, church groups, local project groups, ect, won't have an online listing. They are only drawing their group from an already controlled group.

Our last sailing on the Inspiration had 5 fairly large groups, one family reunion, 3 church groups, and a swingers group. Of those only the swingers group was listed online at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on a Celebrity cruise last December that had 900 Jehovah's Witnesses aboard. Kept expecting knocks on the door at all hours, which didn't happen. However some of them attempted giving out pamphlets by the pool and in some of the lounges. I would rather have been with the HOHS.

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I found out earlier today that a group of bellringers will be on my cruise in January and my mind has been running wild with all sorts of scenarios like clanging at all hours. No offense to any bellringers, its just something I'm not sure I want to hear in the middle of the tranquil ocean. I thought of cancelling but someone in another forum already said that cancellation insurance will not cover this.

I guess all this proves that its the luck of the draw sometimes. Now that I've read all your posts I'm looking on the bright side. Vacant deck chairs and no lines at the buffet...I'm in!! Here I was concerned about having to schedule around them, now I can't wait to find out their schedule so I can plan accordingly.

You want to know the biggest irony? A crossword puzzle group has also booked this cruise. For their sake I hope their activities are at the other end of the ship.

Thanks again everyone!

PS I bet evenings were interesting with the swingers group. And I'm sure the bars were pretty empty with the church groups. I'm a live/let live kinda guy so I really don't care how someone spends their livelihood, but I agree a cruiseship is no place for soliciting.

I'm pretty inked up so I'd probably fit right in on the biker cruise.

Someone who rings (plays) handbells. This might be more than you wanted to know, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handbell gives a basic explanation of this instrument/musical art. BTW, bellringers "swing" :) also.

It's a type of musician?

Here I had flashes of Monty Python's Holy Grail and the flagellists wandering around hitting themselves with bells instead of boards.

At least the instrument is small, imagine cruising with a group of people all travelling with their instruments from an orchestra. Walking down halls would become entertainment!

• 1 month later...

I did a search and found out that a group called THE MONSTER CREW will be on the cruise I have booked this summer on the Miracle, August 15, 2007. I want to find out what kind of group this is, but have been unsuccessful. Anyone have a clue? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
I did a search and found out that a group called THE MONSTER CREW will be on the cruise I have booked this summer on the Miracle, August 15, 2007. I want to find out what kind of group this is, but have been unsuccessful. Anyone have a clue? :confused:

The only thing that comes to mind is associated with rebuilding (or modifying) cars.

Spudly and I are booked on our first group cruise! Our friend is putting on his very first music cruise and we're very happy to be able to go. It's going to be a blast!

I've heard of folks getting really upset when they find they're on a cruise with a big group that they're not a part of... We were in that situation when we found out we were on a ship with a "Worthington Ford" group on board... I finally figured it out when I saw Cal himself wandering the halls of the Conquest in his cowboy boots without his dog spot. I told hubby, "Run! Grab your wallet and RUN!!!" LOL

Now that we'll be a part of a really fun group, I am curious to see how much space they set aside for us for different events.

Cheers!

Taters

• 4 weeks later...

This is a tough one we ended up with a Gay group of 200 men that did exactly that (took over a pool) on Princess Line. when we complained the cruise line did nothing to alleviate the problem. You might use the message board and go to the different groups to see if any offend you.:mad:

This is a tough one we ended up with a Gay group of 200 men that did exactly that (took over a pool) on Princess Line. when we complained the cruise line did nothing to alleviate the problem. You might use the message board and go to the different groups to see if any offend you.:mad:

When was your cruise?

In the future you can google your roll-call info, it might give you an idea if there are large groups sailing. or ask your TA to find out.

• 1 month later...

Unless the group advertises an activity on its own, it is highly unlikely that a cruise ship line would advise/warn/tell other individuals about it. That's a bit of propriatory information and travel agents definitely wouldn't be able to get this type of information (unless they would have some type of insider info).

I used to work in hotels and we would routinely have groups that would "take over the hotel" and that didn't change the fact that the remaining rooms would still be available to book. The best groups were mainly the professional groups. The worst? Weddings. Hated each and every one of them (well, except once where the newly wed husband got caught with the maid of honor in the men's room during the reception - by his new wife! Funniest thing ever!).

• 3 weeks later...
. Did the TA tell us about it? Not a word. Did we use her when we cancelled and rebooked? Not on your life. I think your TA should be on top of these things.

The only way a TA would know about the group is if the TA booked that particular group. The cruise lines dont give out information on peoples groups to TA's unless it's their own booking. That is private information between the cruiseline and the group. To blame your TA is ridiculous.

Emerald - When/what ship are you going on? I'm going on a knitter's cruise at the end of the month.

I wonder what happens when you cross knitters with a murder mystery group... death by knitting needle perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So I google alot - but how do you google for possible groups on your ship? we are on the NCL star 5/19.

I would Google that this way:

Norwegian Cruise Line Star May 19 2007

You may have to dig several pages to find groups booked on the ship. Of course you will find lots and lots of agency web sites, just ignore these.

The only way a TA would know about the group is if the TA booked that particular group. The cruise lines dont give out information on peoples groups to TA's unless it's their own booking. That is private information between the cruiseline and the group. To blame your TA is ridiculous.

Had you booked directly with the cruise line and not through a TA, you still wouldn't have been aware of a group's existence on your sailing prior to boarding.

I think your TA should be on top of these things.

Unfortunately that's not possible ... TA's can't find out who else is booked onto a particular sailing, unless it's booked directly through them (or one open to them to book like Whodunit Mystery cruises).

Archived