Is it true that you have to be 16 to use the gym?

My 14 year old son was very dismayed when he heard this from a friend. He was planning on working out and using the equipment in the gym while onboard. He's a very respectful kid, I'm told by others even when I'm not around and wouldn't dream of misusing the equipment or being a nuisance and disturbing other guests. He just truly wants to use the gym.

In truth, he actually looks like he is 16. He is 6 feet tall and mature looking. Do you think he'll even be stopped? Please don't flame me on this. I know all about rules and don't normally break them, but would like to see that he is able to work out while onboard. He's been doing so well at home and I'm thrilled that he wants to keep up with it on vacation. He didn't used to work out at all and I'm glad to see that he's become fairly health conscious.

Should I go with him the first time? I probably won't be with him each time he goes as I also have a 5 year old to keep entertained. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

My teenagers loved using the gym even at 12 years old, yes, he will have a problem. My son last year was 16 is 6' tall he also was told to leave, I believe when they see a "kid" they just go up to them and ask them to leave. He can go with your excorting him into the gym. Generally they want a parent to stay with the child but I would go there and slip out and they were fine there. That is what you will have to do walk in with him and stay a bit then slip out. I think its awful how they do this to kids who really want to work out and take care of their bodies by exercising, I just think that due to a limited amount of equipment they want to make sure the adults get to use them first and they are afraid of liablility and breakage of misuse of equipment. They should have us sign a waiver so that our kids can come and go as they please.

My teenagers loved using the gym even at 12 years old, yes, he will have a problem. My son last year was 16 is 6' tall he also was told to leave, I believe when they see a "kid" they just go up to them and ask them to leave. He can go with your excorting him into the gym. Generally they want a parent to stay with the child but I would go there and slip out and they were fine there. That is what you will have to do walk in with him and stay a bit then slip out. I think its awful how they do this to kids who really want to work out and take care of their bodies by exercising, I just think that due to a limited amount of equipment they want to make sure the adults get to use them first and they are afraid of liablility and breakage of misuse of equipment. They should have us sign a waiver so that our kids can come and go as they please.

Normally I would not be in favor of breaking the rule. However this time I agree that if a kid is mature enough and has respect for the equipment I do not see why he or she could not use the gym. In regard to signing a paper for liability pupose just remember the paper is worthless as the child could still sue.

Robb

My son was asked to leave the gym when we were there with him. He was beside me on an elliptical trainer and was just quietly working out. There was maybe one other person in the gym at the time.

It's just the rule. We respected it once we were told. I honestly didn't realize there was a rule prior to that (we've never been big gym goers on cruises:) ) but noticed the sign as soon as it was pointed out to me. Parental supervision did not make a difference in this case.

Normally I would not be in favor of breaking the rule. However this time I agree that if a kid is mature enough and has respect for the equipment I do not see why he or she could not use the gym. In regard to signing a paper for liability pupose just remember the paper is worthless as the child could still sue.

Robb

An excellent point regarding the waiver, Robb. Any waiver you might sign is virtually without meaning. If there is liability, you can always sue.

The other side of the story is that many people sue when it is their own fault. Seems like so many are looking at the courts to be a source of undeserved income!

I checked into this situation prior to our cruise on the Valor last December as both of our teens are athletes who like to keep up with their workouts. There were just a couple of months shy of 17 at the time we sailed. We were told---and our TA doubled checked this with Carnival---that since they were 16 they could use the facilities as long as an adult was there with them. No one under 16 is supposed to be allowed to use the gym.

No, I will admit that we ended up bending the rules. I went with my kids the first time to see how things went. No problems. They went on their own several other times during the week, and no one ever asked them to leave. Sonny boy is a big football player type and looks like he is in his late teens/early twenties, plus he is an incredibly serious lifter who probably knows more about gym equipment than half the people working there----so no big suprise that he didn't run into problems (other than "posers" who were hogging some of the equipment--LOL). His twin sister sometimes looks younger to people, but is also serious and mature about working out, so she did fine, too.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

I think he can, at 14, use the gym as long as an adult is with him. If an adult can not be with him, there is a jogging track on the ship that anyone can use. Although, personally, I would much rather lift weights than jog.

An excellent point regarding the waiver, Robb. Any waiver you might sign is virtually without meaning. If there is liability, you can always sue.

The other side of the story is that many people sue when it is their own fault. Seems like so many are looking at the courts to be a source of undeserved income!

yougimax:

You sure hit the nail right on. Its ashame that we live in such a litigous society now a days. I have seen countless number of people who do unsafe things and wonder why the owner does not go out and stop people. Its a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Robb

If a workout in the gym is important to your child, then why isn’t it just as important to you, the parent? Whining about and breaking cruise line rules is just a lame excuse for nothing. Is 30-60 minutes a day out of your comfort range for child/parent time?

I was just on a cruise and I saw teenagers in there. They also say no open toed shoes but some girls were wearing flip flops. No one seemed to care. I say he just go in and work out. I doubt anyone is going to question.

Sea Turtle-

Quite frankly I found your response offensive! Who are you to pass judgement on me!!?? I cherish every moment I spend with my children. I rarely take a vacation without them! Most of my friends tease my husband and I about how close we all are. However I do have more than one and I certainly find it inappropriate to bring my 5 year old into the gym. I would think that most folks would thank me for this. I have a very mature 14 year old that used to not be into exercise at all. I am greatful that he is now. Don't get me wrong. He was never particularly lazy, his interests just lie elsewhere. This past year he has really started becoming health conscious and was hoping to be able to continue his exercise routine if possible.

Apparently you did not read my last post where I said that I would go with him at first and hoped that he would be okay on his own and that if neccesary I would find a way to stay.

To answer your question, yes, I am interested in exercise, but what I do is not what interests my son and what he does I am simply unable to do! In all honesty my son is more mature than most kids his age and quite often more mature than many adults I know who would be welcome in the gym.

I do agree that because of the ridiculous litigious society we live in, many rules that can be deemed unfair have to be implemented. I would be more than happy to sign a waiver and to have my son sign one as well. I am quite sure that he will not be abusing any of the equipment or harrassing or annoying any of the other guests.

By the way, I was in no way whining. I abhor whining and wouldn't dream of subjecting anyone to it! I just think that you should not be so quick to judge others. This is precisely why many people are afraid to post their questions on here.

I have found so many of you to be very helpful and I will try to keep from jumping to the conclusion that one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

I work on carnival ships.. the rule is: children aged 12-16 must be accompanied by an adult to use the gym/spa.... you must be 16 and older to go on your own.

Okay, who didn't read this? Who thinks that bending the rules is okay? :rolleyes: And before you ask, NO I don't smuggle booze!

Sea Turtle-

Quite frankly I found your response offensive! Who are you to pass judgement on me!!?? I cherish every moment I spend with my children. I rarely take a vacation without them! Most of my friends tease my husband and I about how close we all are. However I do have more than one and I certainly find it inappropriate to bring my 5 year old into the gym. I would think that most folks would thank me for this. I have a very mature 14 year old that used to not be into exercise at all. I am greatful that he is now. Don't get me wrong. He was never particularly lazy, his interests just lie elsewhere. This past year he has really started becoming health conscious and was hoping to be able to continue his exercise routine if possible.

Apparently you did not read my last post where I said that I would go with him at first and hoped that he would be okay on his own and that if neccesary I would find a way to stay.

To answer your question, yes, I am interested in exercise, but what I do is not what interests my son and what he does I am simply unable to do! In all honesty my son is more mature than most kids his age and quite often more mature than many adults I know who would be welcome in the gym.

I do agree that because of the ridiculous litigious society we live in, many rules that can be deemed unfair have to be implemented. I would be more than happy to sign a waiver and to have my son sign one as well. I am quite sure that he will not be abusing any of the equipment or harrassing or annoying any of the other guests.

By the way, I was in no way whining. I abhor whining and wouldn't dream of subjecting anyone to it! I just think that you should not be so quick to judge others. This is precisely why many people are afraid to post their questions on here.

I have found so many of you to be very helpful and I will try to keep from jumping to the conclusion that one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

Hi,

I've re-read your original question, the way you asked the question, the explanations you gave. I've also read (several times) your post quoted above. I have to say that you have my total support. You asked a very sensible question in a very pleasant way and expalned more than you needed to. I think that both you and your son sound like very decent people whom it would be a pleasure to run into on a cruise. May I encourage your son in his efforts (as you so obviously do), I hope that you have a very pleasant voyage and wish you and your family well.

(Oh, and please don't judge us all by some).

Woody Guthrie sang this to the tune "This Land is Made For You and Me".

I was out walking and there was a sign that said "No Trespassing"

But on the other side it didn't say nothing........that side was made for you and me.

My kid is "mature" so the sign doesn't apply to me......:rolleyes:

There are reasons for rules...............i.e. they don't want the Gym to turn into a teen hang out......;)

My original post was not directed to any one poster in particular. The OP and a handful of others posted about getting around the rule. It was a general statement made towards parents that feel because of this reason or that reason, the rules can be broken to accomodate their particular family situation.

sparkysfriends--you find my post offensive. I beg to differ but that's okay--it's a message board. Thoughts are bounced back and forth and sometimes feathers get ruffled. Your subject matter ruffled mine, my response ruffled yours--it happens. I stand behind my original post. And, you certainly didn't owe me any explanations so unsure of your need for a dissertation.

Enjoy your cruise, sparkysfriends!

I would say don't leave your son in the gym if the rules specify he is not age appropriate for it. I took an iron on my last cruise without realizing that it wasn't allowed. Wouldn't do so again even though I safely used it. The rules apparently state swim diapers are not ok for the pool and it wouldn't be acceptable for a parent to say my child just went so I know nothing would get in the water. If we all made exceptions then the rules would be of no value. The same could be said for Camp Carnival, my child is mature/looks older, let's bump him to the next age level, but Carnival has its rules. Sooooo, just my opinion, but I wouldn't do it. I guess being a teacher I believe in modeling for our young people and teaching them not to bend the rules to suit our own purposes. I have a daughter who looks about 11 but she's 14. We are routinely charged a child's rate at movies and buffets, but I let them know her age because I feel it's dishonest not too. Ok, enough said, sorry for the dissertation.

I would definately bring your son to the gym so he can work out and exercise. I feel as a parent myself, if a child cares about their own body and health needs you need to make sure they keep it up as in these days especially with our society when you eat in fast food chains they ask you if you like to bigger size things well if you read medical journals people in these days are becoming more overweight and faster and if you truely look around you will see children overweight also. I applaude any child that cares for their body and wants to maintain fitness and exercise. Therefore, I do not feel that cruise lines should have a rule on ages of children that want to participate in the gym. But cruise lines allow children to participate in the gym but want them to be supervised, at least children are not denied the priviledge of using the facilities to maintain fitness. In the past I would take my children to the gym and I asked if I can leave them as I was suppose to meet my husband somewhere and never was denied. But you may come to a person that will not allow it, so I say go with your child and stay there for awhile I am sure the two of you can compromise on a time limit so both you and your child will be happy.

I feel that 15 and up should be allowed in the gym without a parent again speaking on the topic of heath and fitness. One or more of you may argue this but don't forget children are on a cruise as it is their vacation as much as it is for us adults. :)

I would definately bring your son to the gym so he can work out and exercise. I feel as a parent myself, if a child cares about their own body and health needs you need to make sure they keep it up as in these days especially with our society when you eat in fast food chains they ask you if you like to bigger size things well if you read medical journals people in these days are becoming more overweight and faster and if you truely look around you will see children overweight also. I applaude any child that cares for their body and wants to maintain fitness and exercise. Therefore, I do not feel that cruise lines should have a rule on ages of children that want to participate in the gym. But cruise lines allow children to participate in the gym but want them to be supervised, at least children are not denied the priviledge of using the facilities to maintain fitness. In the past I would take my children to the gym and I asked if I can leave them as I was suppose to meet my husband somewhere and never was denied. But you may come to a person that will not allow it, so I say go with your child and stay there for awhile I am sure the two of you can compromise on a time limit so both you and your child will be happy.

I feel that 15 and up should be allowed in the gym without a parent again speaking on the topic of heath and fitness. One or more of you may argue this but don't forget children are on a cruise as it is their vacation as much as it is for us adults. :)

While I think it's a good thing for a young person to maintain a physical fitness program on vacation, the rules still apply. Not all kids wanting to use the gym may understand how to use some equipment properly so as not to injure themselves. If a parent is going to allow their child in the gym and the rules says that child must be of a certain age and accompanied by the parent, that doesn't mean for a short time. It means for the entire time the child is in the gym.

Their ship, their rules. Follow them.

Archived