Living In Halifax....

Please note that I'm acknowledging right up front that I'm "numbers phobic" :o

I was just told on another board that NCL apparently keeps their "ship time" on US Eastern Time.

So....if we've told someone that our NCL ship will be in Halifax at 8 a.m., and we'll be at their door by 9:30 a.m....

Is that really "9 a.m., and 10:30 a.m." local time...or???? :confused: I'm so confused!!

And....am I correct that there is a cruise terminal right there at the dock when you get off the ship...so that we can "hit up" an ATM machine and get some Canadian currency??

You can rent cars right at the dock.. in the terminal...or at least you could last year.. A couple at our table did with no problem.

This is a very informative thread but when I logged on to various auto rental companies they give addresses that do not mean anything to me. At "carrentals.com" they state that there are over 30 rental places in Halifax. Which location is nearest to the pier? We will be in Halifax on 10/21/08 on NCL Jewel?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ruth ;)

This is a very informative thread but when I logged on to various auto rental companies they give addresses that do not mean anything to me. At "carrentals.com" they state that there are over 30 rental places in Halifax. Which location is nearest to the pier? We will be in Halifax on 10/21/08 on NCL Jewel?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ruth ;)

After looking the carrentals dot com website, The Hertz at the Marriott on Upper Water Street wouldn't be to far. Neither would the National on Barrington St. They would be the 2 closest.

After looking the carrentals dot com website, The Hertz at the Marriott on Upper Water Street wouldn't be to far. Neither would the National on Barrington St. They would be the 2 closest.

Actually, that Hertz location about a half hour walk from the pier. There is a much closer Hertz location at 1161 Hollis St in the Via Train Station and is a 5 minute walk from the pier. The train station is attached to the Westin Hotel and located in the hotel is a National and Alamo agency. When you exit the main cruise terminal building look slightly to your right and across the street and the tall (about 10 stories) brick building is the back of the Westin.

Also, there is a Budget location located on Hollis St in the Metro Park parking garage and is about a 10 minute walk from the pier.

Actually, that Hertz location about a half hour walk from the pier. There is a much closer Hertz location at 1161 Hollis St in the Via Train Station and is a 5 minute walk from the pier. The train station is attached to the Westin Hotel and located in the hotel is a National and Alamo agency. When you exit the main cruise terminal building look slightly to your right and across the street and the tall (about 10 stories) brick building is the back of the Westin.

Also, there is a Budget location located on Hollis St in the Metro Park parking garage and is about a 10 minute walk from the pier.

Thanks for that. I only could go by the site listings. I haven't lived in Halifax for some time, and when I do get home, I rent at the airport.

Thanks Ric and NDgal too. It's really a huge help to us when people in the know can pass on correct information. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Ruth ;)

Hi! I will be in Halifax Tuesday...how is the weather and are the leaves going to be pretty for us or did the hurricane blow them away?:confused:

It's looking pretty good, the leaves are just beginning to change and are still on the trees.

Here is the forecast for Mon-Wed converted to Fahrenheit:

Monday: A mix of sun and cloud. Low plus 39. High 54

Tuesday: Sunny. Low plus 37. High 55

Wednesday: Sunny. Low plus 41. High 61.

This is slightly below normal but a nice day anyway.

Enjoy your visit!

Yes--I live in Saint John---(St. John's is a long way away from here in Newfoundland)

If it is a nice day Saint John is nice to wander by foot. You can easily walk to the Reversing Falls. The directions are on this thread a few times but you can also just ask one of the volunteers who will be meeting your ship on the dock. They are most helpful.

You can also take a water taxi from the dock outside the Hilton over to the Reversing Falls area. I have never done so, so I don't know the cost.

There is usually a van parked outside the Hilton which rents bicycles to be used for riding the Harbour Passage area over to Reversing Falls.

If the weather is not nice you can get inside at Market Square (just accross from the Hilton on the waterfront) and follow the pedway system of walkways and escalators all the way up the hill through Brunswick Square Shopping Centre to the Old City Market. It is the oldest market in Canada and quite interesting with lots of different items as well as food for sale. As you pass through the pedway you will pass by the City Hall tourist info desk and can pick up walking maps.

If you depart the City Market at the uphill end and cross the street going straight away from the Market, after a block you will come to the Old Loyalist Burial Grounds which is the final resting place of many of the original United Empire Loyalists who came here and founded the city after the American Revolution. It has been restored and is a pleasant place to wander.

There is an old "Loyalist House" in the uptown area. If you walk outside the doors at the downhill end of the Old City Market and turn right, walking up to the next corner, you will see the white Loyalist House on the left. It has a sign out front.

For lunch I would suggest Billy's Seafood which is located on the uphill end of the Old City Market, between the exit doors. I would also suggest reservations as it is not large---just good!!! www.billysseafood.com

The Boilerworks in Market Square is a pretty good place for lunch but if it is seafood you are after, Billys is your place.

If you want a simple, good, inexpensive lunch, Holly's Soho Cafe at the top of the escalator in Market Square is a nice little place. It is often crowded with locals and they don't reserve tables.

The map you get at the City Hall will show some of the walking tours around the old part of the uptown which can be a photographer's delight if you are interested in old architecture.

If anyone in your party has mobility issues the pedway system also uses elevators but you sometimes have to ask just where to find them. I think they should be better marked for tourists.

You can also pick up a city sight seeing bus by Loyalist Plaza across from Market Square and the Hilton.

The New Brunswick Museum is located in Market Square with the entrance on the first level by the fountain.

I am sure if I have left anything out, Acey will give you a few more suggestions if he sees this post.

Further to my last post, I forgot I was on the Halifax thread when I said you could find directions to Reversing Falls on it. Try the "Updated for 2008 FAQ's about Saint John, NB" thread instead. Sorry!!:eek:

It's looking pretty good, the leaves are just beginning to change and are still on the trees.

Here is the forecast for Mon-Wed converted to Fahrenheit:

Monday: A mix of sun and cloud. Low plus 39. High 54

Tuesday: Sunny. Low plus 37. High 55

Wednesday: Sunny. Low plus 41. High 61.

This is slightly below normal but a nice day anyway.

Enjoy your visit!

Thanks for that wonderful weather forecast....it was exactly what I wanted to hear!!:)

Where can I get a good meal of scallops while off the ship?

Salty's is nice for it's location but if you want a place where locals go for great seafood try John's Lunch in Dartmouth. http://www.johnslunch.com/

They have the best seafood around !!! To get there take the Woodside ferry from the ferry terminal on the waterfront in Halifax. http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/ferries.html

Once off the ferry head to the street (Pleasant Street) and turn left and it is right there. The ferry trip over is really nice too.

OK so this suggestion is for Seafood in Hailifax right? How Much time would you allow to take the ferry over, have lunch,etc? We are going to Peggy's Cove on a morning tour then we have the afternoon to ourselves.

Yes, this is for Halifax.

The walk along the boardwalk to the ferry will take 10-15 minutes. The ferry ($2 pp) is about a 15 minute trip and then about a 5 minute walk to John's.

Just make sure you take the Woodside ferry and not the Dartmouth ferry.

I think it is well worth the trip if you have the time.

Check out their menu http://www.johnslunch.com/2008menu.pdf

Thanks, sounds yummy, are digby scallops the big sea ones? I am in the process of viewing your anniversary cruise, what an awesome trip, we have not gone to europe yet, hope to someday

Yes, Digby scallops are the big ones and they are delicious!

Hope you enjoy my blog - we had a wonderful time!!!

If you have any other questions about Halifax I will be happy to help and hope you have a great cruise!!

Archived