Living In Halifax....

That's a hard question, we have ALOT of pubs. I'll give you a few links to look at...

http://www.foundlocally.com/Halifax/Dining/BarTop5Pubs.htm

http://yellowpages.ca/business/1,2/1162991.html?what=&where=HALIFAX&src=ypca&adid=&stype=ca

There are pubs all over the place, the water front has good ones right on the board walk.

If anyone else has some input on this please jump in.

Enjoy yourself (and a pub crawl is a good way to do it) in our city.

Rick1965

Haligonian37: How close is the nearest FRED stop to the cemetery? Or is it not anywhere near? Thanks:confused:

According to Mapquest, it is about 3 miles from the Harbourside Historic Properties to 3720 Windsor St (which is the address for the Fairview Cemetary). We are planning to have lunch at John Shippeys. Then grab a taxi to the cemetary. I found the taxi fare rates somewhere on line and now of course I can't remember where. HHP is about as far that direction as FRED goes.

We were going to walk TO it, but someone advised that this may not be a good idea since one of the long streets is very UPHILL. So perhaps walking back won't be as bad!!

Rick1965 & Jalakim, we would really like to visit some local, not touristy, pubs while in Halifax for about 10 hours. Suggestions??

These will be the tourist spots....but some may be of interest.

Also a friend recommended 2 that are not on this 'walk".

One of the Split Crowe that is near the HHP and the other is the Thirsty Duck which is nearer to the ship...but off the "dock path". I do believe you can still get to it from FRED....when it detours away from the dock area.

The following is a free "walking beer tour" from the ship. (of course the beer costs you money....)

1) GARRISON BREWING CO. (1149 Marginal Rd ... 902-453-5343) http://www.garrisonbrewing.com

They used to come to the Halifax Farmer's Market on Saturdays. However, they didn't show the day we went. But now, they have a new brewery right across from the cruise pier.

2) ALEXANDER KEITH'S BREWERY (1496 Lower Water St) http://www.keiths.ca/

Walk up Marginal Rd which runs into Lower Water St. We did the 1 hr tour ($15) and sampled their beers in the Stag's Head Tavern at the end. The tour was semi-enjoyable with their costumed actors/guides, but if you just want to try their main-stream beers ... go to the pub that's next door in the same building.

3) JOHN SHIPPEY'S (1869 Upper Water St ... 902-423-7386) http://www.splitcrow.com/shippeys/index.htm

Continue along the water up Lower Water St which turns into Upper Water St. They're located inside the Harbourside Historic Properties all the way at the end where the food court is. We sat near the water and had a nice lunch there. The brewer was present and chatted with us for a while, letting us taste a few and even pointed us in the right direction of our next stop.

4) PROPELLER BREWING CO. (2011 Gottingen St ... 902-422-7767) http://www.drinkpropeller.ca/

Cross Upper Water St and continue up on Cogswell St for 2-3 blocks until you reach Gottingen St and make a right. Pretty much just a tasting room, but they were very friendly. Saw the brewer in the basement when I went to the rest room, but didn't get a chance to chat with him. Bought a growler of the porter and we're off again.

5) GRANITE BREWERY (1662 Barrington St ... 902-422-4954) http://www.granitebrewery.ca/

Take Gottingen St back until it ends, make a left at Rainnie Dr, then a right onto Brunswick St (with a nice view of the Citadel), left onto Prince St, and final right onto Barrington. This brewpub w/ cask-conditioned ales will be on your right. I tried the tasting flights and enjoyed all of them, but definitely get whatever's in the cask . We also enjoyed speaking with the brewer, or was it the brewer's father/uncle or some other relative. By that time, it was hard to remember

We had so much fun at Granite that we never made it to our last stop - Maxwell’s Plum (1600 Grafton St ... 902-423-5090)

It took me a while to submit this, so hopefully everything's still the same and others can enjoy their "beer" drinking day in Halifax as much as we did!!

The Old Triangle is a popular local pub. It is in the one of the links that Rick1965 posted. Another very popular one is the Lower Deck which is right on the waterfront in Historic Properties just on the other side of Harbouside Market. It is actually located in a building that is almost 200 years old.

The Old Triangle is a popular local pub. It is in the one of the links that Rick1965 posted. Another very popular one is the Lower Deck which is right on the waterfront in Historic Properties just on the other side of Harbouside Market. It is actually located in a building that is almost 200 years old.

The Old Triangle would be my pick for sure!! The food and drink are top notch, but the Celtic music is The Best!!:D

• 1 month later...

Just back from our CAnada/New England cruise which included Halifax. We had booked the short Historical Tour with Your Cab Tours and were delighted with it. (Jonathan Duru <info@yourcab.ca>) Lenny was at the pier holding a sign up with our name, and gave us an excellent tour! The cost was $89, and the two of us shared it. That made it one of the least expensive tours we took!

Then he dropped us off downtown where we wanted to shop instead of back at the pier. I left my camera in his car and he came back and hunted me down. Isn't that great service?!!

If I was going to do it again, I would take the Peggy's Cove/City Tour combo.

Vada

• 4 weeks later...

For those going on a pub crawl or just visiting a pub while in Halifax. Be sure to enjoy the local beers. Halifax has some excellent micro-brews and many can't be found outside of Nova Scotia. That being said, most Canadian Beer is pretty good even the standard stuff. Just remember that if you see a Molson or Moosehead beer, it is quite different than what you'd get in the United States. The alcohol content is probably higher too...

Rick,

You've been fantastic. We are a group of 50 arriving the beginning of

next August. We are looking to set up a pub crawl with maybe some

singing and dancing while we experience the different varieties of

beer. Can you recommend anyone we could call to help us set this

up?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rick,

Happy New Year!

When I first saw the start date for this thread I thought it might not be relavent to the July 2008 trip I'm hoping to book. While I still have to go back and read the entire thread, I'll be sure to post any unanswered questions. I'm traveling with my mother, DH and our 3 adolescent boys so I'll be looking for something specific, that won't bore them to tears, from a tour perspective. LOL!

Look forward to reading all of your helpful info!

3 questions:

I checked Rogers Chocolates website and their chocolates can be found in Halifax at the Italian Market at 6061 Young St (per the website). If we book the hop on hop off bus, will the loop go anywhere near this market?

Also does this market have a pretty good selection of Rogers? I'm particularly interested in vanilla cremes. I know Rogers ships, but if I'm going to be in Halifax, I might as well look for the delightful treats.

I tried to look up the loop on the hop on/hop off website, but was unsuccessful when I clicked on the Halifax link.

How long is the entire hop on/hop off loop? Should we stay on for one entire loop before deciding where to hop?

Thanks a bunch!! We'll be in your town in October.

Hi there,

I am a fellow Canadian (Montreal) but displaced now to Connecticut, just north of NYC. Was thinking of surprising my in-laws with a cruise for my FILs 65th birthday. I have picked out a cruise out of NYC but just realized that it is in Halifax on July 1.

I know that in Montreal the majority of "old port" stays open but most other businesses are closed for the holiday. I was wondering if you remember from last few years, how much stays open on the 1st.

It appears that the Citadel is open.. that's good. I am assuming the that the public transport is on Sunday schedule but what about the "down town" area including shops, restaurants et al. If it was me, I wouldn't be worried but this is my in-laws first time on vacation out of the US (amazingly enough) and I chose this cruise because I know how much my MIL would love Halifax. I want to be ready with suggestions so that she is not turned off travelling...

Thanks for your time.

Andrea

Rick,

What can you tell me about the Ramada Limited Downtown Vancouver located at 435 W Pender St?

There will be 6 of us staying 1 night pre cruise in June.

Thanks

I'm afraid I can tell you nothing, I live on the other side of the country.

Rick1965

• 6 months later...

Rick thank you for your info I have some questions

I will be in Halifax on Tues. 9-9-08 on the Caribbean Princess.

How close to our ship are these places , can you walk? & can you give Directions: Saltys rest. , Cows ice cream, Public gardens, Rum runners cake factory.

We were planning to do the Fred free shuttle. If we don`t get off how long does it take to do the loop? Will this give us a taste of scenic Halifax?

We were also planning on walking the board walk.

Are there cabs at the citadel to drive up hill if you can`t walk it ?Do you know what they charge? Have any recomendations? Thanks Debbi

How close to our ship are these places , can you walk? & can you give Directions: Saltys rest. , Cows ice cream, Public gardens, Rum runners cake factory.

We were planning to do the Fred free shuttle. If we don`t get off how long does it take to do the loop? Will this give us a taste of scenic Halifax?

Are there cabs at the citadel to drive up hill if you can`t walk it ?Do you know what they charge? Have any recomendations? Thanks Debbi

Hello Debbi

NSCruiser here... I live about 1 hour outside of Halifax, so I might be able to assist with your questions....

Salty's and Cows are both on the boardwalk (about 10-20 minute "level" walk from where the ship will be docked) the Public Gardens are quite an uphill hike from the waterfront, you might want to think about a cab (not sure of the rates), also... the citadel is a "Steep" uphill walk from the waterfront... it's do-able, if you are in fairly good shape, once you have toured the citadel it's all down hill back to the ship - that's a bonus lol... again - a cab ride may be in order. Regarding the FRED the bus - F-R-E-D stands for Free Rides Everywhere Downtown.... it hits a few of the tourist spots, but not all - it does a continuous loop Downtown...

Another nice place to see while on the boardwalk area is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic... they are located on Lower Water Street - not far from the cruise pier and very close to Salty's restaurant - they have a good "Titanic" display.

Have fun on your cruise & visit to Halifax.

I work near the boardwalk and walk there most days at lunch.

I agree with what NSCruiser stated and I will add that that the Rum Runners is also right on the boardwalk about 5-8 minutes from the ship. It is located on the far end of the first set of nice buildings that you reach. Salty's and Cows are farther down the boardwalk (about 20 minutes) just past the ferry terminal.

I think that FRED is only 1 bus and the loop takes about 40 minutes.

There are cabs all around the city but if you are in decent shape you can walk up to Citadal Hill. In fact, my wife runs up there a couple of times a week.:eek:

Archived