Living In Halifax....

My husband wanted to know if there is a place in Ha;ifax where we can order frozen scallops and have them shipped home when we arrive, we did this with the salmon we caught in Alaska, I wasn;t that fond of Salmon, but I would love to order some scallops, they are truly disappointing down here, does not matter what resteraunt I go to.

My husband wanted to know if there is a place in Ha;ifax where we can order frozen scallops and have them shipped home when we arrive, we did this with the salmon we caught in Alaska, I wasn;t that fond of Salmon, but I would love to order some scallops, they are truly disappointing down here, does not matter what resteraunt I go to.

Try Clearwater http://www.clearwater.ca

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-You, we are back from cruise, Hailifax was our favorite port of call, the drive out to Peggys Cove was great, and such a quaint little town, and we were there on a beautiful sunny afternoon. I will go to the website and check out ordering my Scallops, thank-you, Mary-Ellen

• 3 months later...

We will be calling in Halifax on July 27 2009 on the Tahitian Princess. I see the ship offers a tour of the Citadel and also an afternoon tea. I see it in a couple of other places, but nothing pops out if you go the the Citadel's website. Is this contracted by the ship and only the folks on the tour would be able to have afternoon tea w/scones.

Our plan is to rent a car and driver, go out to Peggy's cove and have them drop us back in time for the changing of the guard and bagpipes and then enjoy a nice afternoon tea. Is there a "tea room" there and is this a possible plan?

thanks

We will be calling in Halifax on July 27 2009 on the Tahitian Princess. I see the ship offers a tour of the Citadel and also an afternoon tea. I see it in a couple of other places, but nothing pops out if you go the the Citadel's website. Is this contracted by the ship and only the folks on the tour would be able to have afternoon tea w/scones.

Our plan is to rent a car and driver, go out to Peggy's cove and have them drop us back in time for the changing of the guard and bagpipes and then enjoy a nice afternoon tea. Is there a "tea room" there and is this a possible plan?

thanks

I found this desription, on the parks site, and it appears that "tea" is for groups only"

http://www.pc.gc.ca/voyage-travel/voyagistes-traveltrade/itm2-/pdf/ns10_e.pdf

http://www.pc.gc.ca/voyage-travel/voyagistes-traveltrade/itm2-/ns10_e.asp

Experience historic Halifax with a tea, and tour of the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site of Canada. Go back to 1870 with your host, a costumed interpreter and enjoy a tour of this magnificently restored fortification. Following the tour, guests will be treated to a tea and scones in the Citadel’s historically restored Soldiers Library and learn customs and rituals surrounding the most British of meals in the Victorian Age. There will also be time to enjoy other on-site exhibits including the shopping facility.

• 4 months later...
Just thought I would bump up this great thread!

Hope our Halifax cc friends are still around to help cruisers for 2009.

We will be there in August.

Thanks for finding this thread again. I was looking for it a few months ago to refer someone to and it didn't want to be found.

Coming in October aboard the triumph.

Just wandering if RICK was still on here helping us...wondered if anything has changed or if there is anything new?

I'm not the Rick that started the thread but I was answering a lot of questions over the past two years. I still watch the Canada threads but others seem be answering before me. Been planning my own cruises. Did a B2B in Nov then went in March & then a last minute one in June. It's been a good year:D

The Triumph is here tomorrow & I'll take my regular lunchtime walk to see the ship & the passengers.

Continue to ask your questions & I'll do my best to answer.

Hi All, Another interesting place to go to while in Halifax and staying near the boardwalk is to go to the Pier 21 exhibition which is the Ellis Island experience for Canada from 1928 to 1971. Check out their website www.pier21.ca to get more info on it. Very interesting we were there about 10 years and will be there again, actually twice, in October on back to back cruises on the Norwegian Spirit. Enjoy whatever you decide to do in Halifax. happytotravel

• 3 weeks later...
We will be in Halifax on a Tuesday in mid-October.

Are there any pubs with live music in the afternoon in Halifax?

I can promise you one thing about Halifax. You will not have trouble finding a pub. We know how to have a good time with friends and family and the pub world is definitely part of that scene.

There are a number which are within a short walk of the cruise pier.

I have browsed all 20 pages of this link and after talking to someone who has already done this cruise, I think we will get a taxi out to Peggy's cove and when we get back do the Harbor Hopper - thanks to both Ricks who have given so much info on on this port - we will be on the Crown Princess - October 8 - looking forward to this trip

I have browsed all 20 pages of this link and after talking to someone who has already done this cruise, I think we will get a taxi out to Peggy's cove and when we get back do the Harbor Hopper - thanks to both Ricks who have given so much info on on this port - we will be on the Crown Princess - October 8 - looking forward to this trip

Does anyone know the cost of a cab to Peggy's Cove?

I would like to know about the price of a cab too. There will be 4 of us.

Sorry, but I don't know how much a cab would be. However, Peggy's Cove is in a rual area about 45-60 drive from the downtown area. I would think that you would have to hire a cab to take you there, wait for an hour or so and then bring you back into the city. I would only be guessing at the cost but Halifax is a decent sized city of around 400,000 and and taxi fares would be comparable to other cities. If you don't prearrange anything you can probably just find someone at the pier.

Sorry I couldn't help more. :o

Hi Rich: You say that the Hop on hop off bus stops Sept. 3. Is there another bus like this to see the city. Also do you know if there is a Rogers Chocolate outlet in Halifax. I know there is one in Sidney but we have a 8 hour tour there on the Cabot trail. Thank you for all the wonderful information you are giving us. Donna

Hi All,

Just found this thread. We are going to be in Halifax on October 3rd. We have been there a few times and have already gone to Peggys Cove 2 times. We booked an excursion to the botanical gardens thru the ship on a horse drawn trolley. I was wondering if it is far and would it be better to take a taxi.

Thanks,

Jeanne

I can promise you one thing about Halifax. You will not have trouble finding a pub. We know how to have a good time with friends and family and the pub world is definitely part of that scene.

There are a number which are within a short walk of the cruise pier.

One of the best pubs in Halifax is the Old Triangle on Bedford Row (only a 10 to 15 minute walk from the Cruise Port). It's a very authentic Irish Pub owned by by an entertainer from Ireland. If you are looking for any music in any pub before 9 pm you will not find it though.

Hi Rich: You say that the Hop on hop off bus stops Sept. 3. Is there another bus like this to see the city. Also do you know if there is a Rogers Chocolate outlet in Halifax. I know there is one in Sidney but we have a 8 hour tour there on the Cabot trail. Thank you for all the wonderful information you are giving us. Donna

I'm not sure if you're referring to me but I haven't mentioned anything about the Hop on hop off bus. I'm not familier with it but I would be very surprised if anything like that stopped on Sept 3 because Sept is the busiest month for cruise ship stops.

Unfortunately, Ive never heard of Rogers Chocolate.:(

Hi All,

Just found this thread. We are going to be in Halifax on October 3rd. We have been there a few times and have already gone to Peggys Cove 2 times. We booked an excursion to the botanical gardens thru the ship on a horse drawn trolley. I was wondering if it is far and would it be better to take a taxi.

Thanks,

Jeanne

I guessing you're referring to the "Public Gardens" as we don't have one called the Botanical Gardens. If so, it would be about a 15-20 minute walk although most of it is uphill. If it was me I wouldn't even hesitate to walk and in fact I walk up that way about once a month. However, the horse drawn trolley is a nice touch. You could also take the free bus called FRED (it's for tourists) right at the pier and get off near the park. There is more info here: http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fred.html

and here: http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/default.asp?mn=1.8.36

The second site is from 2008 but I think it's still pretty accurate. There is a link to a map which shows the route and you can see where the Public Gardens are located.

One of the best pubs in Halifax is the Old Triangle on Bedford Row (only a 10 to 15 minute walk from the Cruise Port). It's a very authentic Irish Pub owned by by an entertainer from Ireland. If you are looking for any music in any pub before 9 pm you will not find it though.

I agree and just had lunch there on Thursday. :p

I guess I meant Freds bus. You can get on and off it can't you? I found out the rogers chocolates are in the P.E.I. store. I guess I need to find where that is located. Thank you Donna

The bus is called FRED as in "Free Rides Everyone Downtown" and is run by the local transit system. It makes numerous stops and they are listed in the links I posted previously. Good Luck. :D

Archived