Living In Halifax....

• 3 weeks later...
Hi! Can we walk from the pier to the Maritime Museum or do we need to catch a taxi?

I'm guessing taxi.

Hopefully someone who knows more than me will come along and help you. However, I can tell you what we did. We signed up for a hop on hop off bus in 2008. We got off at the Citadel, and then the Maritime Museum. Then we walked from the Maritime Museum over to the boardwalk and went left and went thru the Historical Properties (shopping), and out the other side of the building and had a nice lunch on the waterfront at Salty's. Then I think we may have walked back to the maritime museum and caught the hop on hop off again to get back to the ship. That was in 2008.

We going again in October but we have a different tour picked out this time.

Have fun on your trip!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Halifax and took one last October. They are great in a small 8 or 12 passenger van.

One company Molega Tours (dot ca) offers one.

Annapolis Valley Wine Tour 5 Hours Email for Bookings

COST: $75.00 per person

The Annapolis Valley is known for the farmland, and we believe that the Annapolis Valley has some of the best growing areas in Canada. Today we will take a trip to heart of this farmland. At its widest point between North and South Mountains near Grand Pre are four wineries, today we will visit two of these wineries on this tour.

We will depart around 10:00 a.m. for Falmouth, which was the summer hunting and fishing grounds for our first nations people. In the 1600's the French Acadians started to move into this area and developed the fertile land that it is today. Not far from the shores of the Avon River you will find Sainte Famille Wines Ltd, is a small family owned vineyard and winery located on an original Acadian village site know as "La Paroisse Sainte-Famille De Pisiquit", settled about 1685. They are dedicated to the art of growing quality grapes and vinting them into elegant premium wines.

From here we are off for Lunch.

After Lunch we continue to Gaspereau Winery, this is one of the younger wineries in the Annapolis valley. Known as a boutique winery it is set on the slopes of Gaspereau Valley. This winery creates premium estate-grown and limited edition wines that reflect the care and passion of the owners.

Hi Vicki - Same last name. Perhaps we are related! Re. Wine Tour - I have a friend who narrates the tour for Molega. Email me for private conversation. jim david at hotmail dot com (no spaces) Perhaps something can be arranged for small group. What ship and when are you here?

Halifax Tour Guys also do a wine tour and will customize to your interests and itinerary. Here are a few choices, as you can see some wineries have designated times for their own tasting tours which can be arranged or you can wander through yourselves. Lunch can also be booked at one of the wineries of your choice.

Hope this helps and you have a great trip

Thanks for the information Lulu. We have decided to go with Halifax Tour Guys on another tour to Lunenburg. Really wanted to do a winery but another couple wanted to do Lunenburg so we caved in. We are going with Richard also. He said that the wineries were on the other side of the valley so it would be time prohibitive to do both. Oh well, maybe next time. Thanks again. Vicki

It's been awhile since I was here. I was surprised to see my thread still going strong!

Rick1965 still living in Halifax

Hi Rick, since you live in Halifax I am sure you can give us some idea of what to do on a one day cruise ship visit. We are not interested in water trips, museums or wineries. Those we do when we have more than one day. For one day we would like to see Halifax get a feel for the locals and culture but not with a cruise ship tour. Can you recommend local tour companies, taxi service, etc. or how would you spend your time if you had only one day? We are also open to Hop On Hop Off Buses, city walks, and do it yourself tours.

From reading these post I gather it will be cold, foggy and possibly rainy - we will be there October 30, 2012. That is OK as we will bring our umbrellas, gloves, ear muffs and raincoats in case we need them. We don't melt.

Thanks for your help.

Lulu's plan is a good one. Halifax is known for its pubs so you should run into quite a few of these. At that time of year during the day there may not be live music but you never know.

Here is a map:http://*******/maps/FNfl

Archived