Living In Halifax....

Rick and all posters. Thank you for all the great information. We are arriving on the Explorer of the Seas September 17th. We'll be in your fair city from 7 AM until 5 PM. At this time we have a tour scheduled with yourcab.ca to see Halifax and Peggy's Cove. The Tour operator says this is about a 4.5 hour tour and he says not to hurry in the AM... have a leisurely breakfast then meet him around 10 AM. Appears he thinks we'll miss the tour bus in Peggy's Cove this way:cool:

My question is.... is this a good plan? We are wanting to make the most of our day and have time also to wander the boardwalk, go to the public garden and the maritime museum plus have a nice lunch. If we ask to be taken to Peggy's cove 1st thing, would we have enough time still to wander the boardwalk and visit the museum?

How far is the public garden from the pier? Maybe walking distance?

I've read all the posts here and am thinking we may be trying to cram too much into our day? Your thoughts, please:D

Debordo

We did this cruise on Carnival last year. I'd say that the public gardens are within walking or a short cab ride distance from the ship. If you DO take a cab, watch out because our cabby overcharged us by two times the normal rate. :(

We did the bus tour (Halifax and Peggy's Cove Tour) to Peggy's Cove and it's a MUST DO! I should say that it seemed like a fairly long ride to get there. The view was incredible and there was lots to see and do.

There's a great artist that sells wonderful watercolor paintings on the corner of the gift shop. We bought a few and had them framed. Limited editions and signed! If you want something really cool to do while there, check this out.

The lighthouse at Peggy's Cove is one of the only (if not THE only) lighthouses in the "world" that is also a post office. While on your cruise to Halifax, write out a bunch of postcards with a picture of the ship on them. When you get to Peggy's Cove, head into the lighthouse and mail them out. Great to have a post stamp that says Peggy's Cove on it. Don't forget to send one to yourself!! Great momento.

Don't forget to check out the Fairview Lawn Cemetery where 121 people of the Titanic disaster were buried. That was something we did as a seperate tour and there was a lot of history told about the whole thing. We even got to spend some time at the museum where there are artifacts that were recovered from the ship. I believe the tour was called the Titanic Treasures tour. Bring your camera and be prepared to take A LOT of pictures.

Hope some of this helped. :)

Fred

My question is.... is this a good plan? We are wanting to make the most of our day and have time also to wander the boardwalk, go to the public garden and the maritime museum plus have a nice lunch. If we ask to be taken to Peggy's cove 1st thing, would we have enough time still to wander the boardwalk and visit the museum?

How far is the public garden from the pier? Maybe walking distance?

I've read all the posts here and am thinking we may be trying to cram too much into our day? Your thoughts, please:D

Debordo

This is a different Rick, but I also live in Halifax. In fact, my office is about a 5 minute walk from the port and 1 minute from the boardwalk.

The bus ride to Peggys Cove is probably about an hour. If the tour is 4.5 hours and you leave at 10 that doesn't leave you a lot of time when you get back. The museum is about a 10 minute walk down the boardwalk and is located pretty well in the middle of the full boardwalk. It is an easy flat walk from the ship. I walk down here most days at lunch.

To get to the Public Gardens is another matter. If you walk, some of it is an uphill walk. It is walkable and it would take about 30 minutes. I don't know the cost of a cab but I would guess that it would be between $5-$10. As an alternative, last year the transit system offered a free bus for tourists that does a loop of the downtown area and went right by the Public Gardens. The bus is called FRED (Free Rides Everywhere Downtown). I haven't heard if it is being offered again this year. Here is a link with more info: http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/default.asp?mn=1.8.36

Enjoy your stay in Halifax!

Thanks Fred and Rick! Appreciate all the info. What do you think would be the best itinerary if we want to do it all? Go to Peggy's Cove early AM? Do you know what time the cruise bus goes? If we are doing a private tour company, we'd like to "miss" the crowd:)

If we have our tour driver drop us off at the Garden, is the walk back to the ship easier? More downhill?

Thanks again!

Debordo

If I were you I would stop worrying about the crowd. It really isn't that bad. There's plenty of room for lots of people at Peggy's Cove.

There were 6 cruise buses there at the same time we were there and it wasn't really a problem other than the gift shop being crowded and that was because it was raining that day.

As for walking back to the ship, I'd say it would be a downhill walk from what I recall when we were there.

I spent about 30 minutes looking for a smoke shop to buy some cuban cigars. :) (Which I smoked on board ship before we got back to NYC. Hefty penalties for trying to smuggle cuban cigars into the US)

P.S. If you do the postcard thing that I suggested and wouldn't mind sending one to me, please PM me so I can give you a mailing address.

Thanks Fred and Rick! Appreciate all the info. What do you think would be the best itinerary if we want to do it all? Go to Peggy's Cove early AM? Do you know what time the cruise bus goes? If we are doing a private tour company, we'd like to "miss" the crowd:)

If we have our tour driver drop us off at the Garden, is the walk back to the ship easier? More downhill?

Thanks again!

Debordo

Sorry, but I don't know the tour schedules. If you want to fit everyhting in you probably should go to Peggys Cove early that way you are back in the city without having to worry about the tour making it back to the ship.

Yes, the walk back from the Public Gardens is basically all downhill nad so it is a much easier walk.

Hi Everyone:

I am just now starting to put together some information about Canada/New England.

I am planning on booking the Oct. 14, 2007, NCL Dream, 12 night from NY back to NY, with my sister-in-law.

Have several questions. Looking for private tour companies and also would like to get together with anyone else on this sailing that would like to book tours.

New York sail at 4 pm

Bar Harbor 8-5

Halifax 8-4

Quebec 9 am over night until 9 pm

La Baie 7-6

Corner Brook 7-6

Sydney 8-4

Would be very grateful for any information about these ports, tour companies in these ports, must see things. It is hard to know what can be done in the time allowed.

If anyone would rather email me with information, my email is m.loughman@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks in advance.

Marianne

Marianne, I see you are having the same results we are having on our roll call. Hey what's the deal with the cruisers for New England. Think they don't know about Cruise Critic. We cruise in September! and our roll call is also very small. I think we only have 8 signed up for the meet and mingle. Very Odd! Maybe if we both post here we'll find some others who don't know about roll calls, huh.

Hope this helps.

Debordo

I hope so too. I discovered CC by accident before my SA trip in March. It was wonderful. Many, many posts, tour information, companies, guides, and what and where to go. I ended up (not intensionally) arranging tours for most of the ports with people on CC. Some paid for in advance (others sent me a check, a chance I know) everything went great. Great people, great tour guides, great itineraries, and great prices. Thats why I am so anxious to connect with others for this cruise. Don't know how to get more interest. Well we can keep in touch and if we discover some great information, well any information we can share it. Thanks for responding.

Regards,

Marianne

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for your post and I'm glad it helped. If you have any questions not answered here please feel free to post them.

Thanks again

Rick1965

Rick, I wish I would have found this thread sooner. Can't wait to visit Halifax, will be there Aug. 1st. Have saved many of your links and they will keep me busy for hours trying to limit our choices on what to do in the short amount of time we have (ship leaves at 6:00 pm). How kind you are to help us all out.

Hi, Rick & others! What a great thread. We were in Halifax in '99 and did the Peggy's Cove w/lobster lunch all day excursion. We loved every minute of it. This time we'll arrive on RCI Explorer of the Seas on Sept. 3 and will be in port from 7 am to 5 pm. There is a 6 hour excursion called "Evangeline & Acadian Journey" that sounds interesting. Has anyone done this? Are there good restaurants in that area? Here is the description of the tour: ....

Evangeline & The Acadian Journey

Enjoy some of North America’s oldest European history and hundreds of years of settlements as you hear of the Acadian expulsion and how Evangeline got her name. A stop at one of Annapolis Valley’s best farmers markets is made where you can purchase locally made treats and handcrafts as a memento of your Acadian journey!

We booked yourcab for Halifax for our July 14 cruise. We don't dock until 9, so it was suggested we be outside as close to 9:30 as we can. The buses are leaving shortly so we can decide how long we stay where or if we want to stop for lunch) and then he'll drop us off either at the musuem or downtown, where he says it would be about a 15 minute walk back to the ship.

Does anyone have suggestions about tippng? The cost is $48 each..and of course some will depend on how good the tour is.

Marianne, I see you are having the same results we are having on our roll call. Hey what's the deal with the cruisers for New England. Think they don't know about Cruise Critic. We cruise in September! and our roll call is also very small. I think we only have 8 signed up for the meet and mingle. Very Odd! Maybe if we both post here we'll find some others who don't know about roll calls, huh.

Hope this helps.

Debordo

I'm trying to get a meet & greet together for 10/26 spirit and am also having a small response. Domyou think everyone is doing the Caribbean?

Don't know why there is no interest. The only reply I got was to my personal email and it was from someone with serious mental problems.

So from here on out, I will just lerk until someone responds with genuine interest. I guess some cruises just click with people who want to meet others and some don't. I am glad that my first connection with CC was a great one. I will still have a great time and have gotten wonderful information from these boards. You are welcome to keep in touch and I would be greatful for any information you want to share (I will be going in October). Good luck and have a wonderful time.

I'm trying to get a meet & greet together for 10/26 spirit and am also having a small response. Domyou think everyone is doing the Caribbean?
I think if this is a contest, then I am the winner! Our roll call for NCL Spirit for 10/14/07 consists of me and 1 other person! It's been that way for months. I thought for sure by now there would be others. Nope! :confused:

Vada

Hey Vada and Marianne... there is still hope. Our cruise is Sept 14 and until a month ago there was only a handful of folks on our roll call. Now we are over 43 and have finally received official Meet and Mingle status.

Good luck with your Roll calls. Keep giving them a bump and maybe you'll see some results.

Happy Sailing

Debordo

Rick,

Thanks for all the post here. Can you tell me about the Fairview Lawn cemetery and museum? We are doing the Peggy's Cove tour and want to do the Fairview lawn after that? Is this the one you said to take FRED?

Thanks from D.C.

Rick,

I have just read *all* of the posts regarding Halifax and want to thank you for the many hours you have spent getting information about your lovely city for Cruise Critics passengers! I hope you have received joy and pleasure knowing how much you have enhanced our cruise.

We will arrive Sunday, October 14 and only have from 10 AM to 6 PM which, of course, is much too short a stay.

My main question is about the time of year. In October does Fred Tourist Bus still operate? Is there anything else we should know about coming in the middle of October? Is the Boardwalk stlll open?

We have been to Halifax before but we arrived by train! It was in 1999 and we came for the Millenium. We were picked up by our innkeeper and brought back to the train station but never got to get out and walk through your city, so I am hoping that October is not too late and too chilly.

Thank you again for your patience in answering all our questions about HALIFAX over and over again!

Carol

Archived