OT-cooling neck wraps

missyal

Has anyone tried those neck wraps that you soak in water and tie around your neck? I saw them on QVC today and ordered a set. They are supposed to keep you cool for hours. I was thinking ahead to our Med. trip next summer when it will be hot and muggy.

Missyal

Has anyone tried those neck wraps that you soak in water and tie around your neck? I saw them on QVC today and ordered a set. They are supposed to keep you cool for hours. I was thinking ahead to our Med. trip next summer when it will be hot and muggy.

Missyal

I don't know about that, but at Girl Scout camp we tie rolled bandanas (with a few pieces of ice at the back of the neck) around our necks -- it literally cools the whole body.

They do indeed work beautifully. We used them during the kids baseball games, would dip them in the cooler of ice water, wring them out and they would keep you cool for hours. If they warm up, just rewet under cold tap water and go again. They dont drip and run down your clothing. They are also remarkably flat when dry. They will hold water for quite a while so you would probably want to make sure you have ziplocs for repacking.

I keep mine in the fridge in a baggy as I use them daily when I play tennis. It's well above 110 in AZ now and they really help keep me cool - and no, I don't play in the middle of the day:eek:

If you happen to have a sewing machine or serger it is super easy to make your own.

Sew a tube about the length of the long side of a bandana folded into a triangle. Use either a heavier cotton material or else double the thickness.

Sew a seam across the tube about 6 inches in from one end. Then pour in 2-3 tablespoons of your filler. For filler, go to your local garden center and get the water retention beads that would normally be mixed into soil. Experiment with whichever brand of filler you choose to see how much it fluffs up and how much will reasonably fit into your tube.

Then sew another seam about 6 inches in from the open end so that the middle section is closed off and the beads will be held inside.

And there you have it. Now you are not limited to the colors or patterns that you can find already for sale.

If you happen to have a sewing machine or serger it is super easy to make your own.

Sew a tube about the length of the long side of a bandana folded into a triangle. Use either a heavier cotton material or else double the thickness.

Sew a seam across the tube about 6 inches in from one end. Then pour in 2-3 tablespoons of your filler. For filler, go to your local garden center and get the water retention beads that would normally be mixed into soil. Experiment with whichever brand of filler you choose to see how much it fluffs up and how much will reasonably fit into your tube.

Then sew another seam about 6 inches in from the open end so that the middle section is closed off and the beads will be held inside.

Sheesh! Too much work for an item that sells for under $10.00. I don't work that cheaply! :D

Missyal

They didn't help us at all.

I bought them a couple of years ago before a trip to Bangkok where the temp. was hovering close to 100 degree's F.

Not only did they not help, but as the day wore on, it felt heavy on my neck - like a hot, wet heavy ring. I felt better when I took it off. My husband felt the same way.

They felt nice and cool when first put on, but within an hour, the part near my skin was as hot as my body temp. I kept turning it around to try and find a cool spot, but wasn't successful. Walking around Bangkok didn't offer many opportinities to re-dunk in a bucketfull of ice water. Perhaps at a sporting event where people might have an igloo coolor with them, it would be useful.

They're cheap enough to "invest" in and decide for yourself. I think I paid about $5.00 each for them.

Just be careful with the material that is used. I had gotten some "cute" ones for football games and as they dripped down my neck, so did the cheap dye from the fabric that was used. Ruined a shirt or two.

Personally, in our heat here in Phoenix, I don't think they work too well. Only felt good right after you put it on. But to each their own. A previous poster who plays tennis and lives around here says it works for her. I perfer a personal mister to keep spraying myself with, but that might not feel as good in high humidity.

MrsPete--What a clever idea! Did they drip alot? These wraps are supposed to be no drip/no mess. But when in a pinch, your idea sounds great.:D

Thanks so much.

Missyal

Yes, they do drip, but at scout camp in July and August here in the Deep South, that's not a bad thing.

I wouldn't walk around the ship wearing this type of get-up, but I would use it on an active excursion.

I use a mister as well! And drink at least 1/2 gallon of water (literally) during the 2 hours I am playing tennis. I think I'd keep my clothes in the freezer if it would help:D , but they might be a bit stiff.

Thank you all for the honest input. They were inexpensive ($18 for set of 6), so it's not a big investment to see if they work. I'm just anticipating the horrible heat we are sure to experience in Europe next summer.

Audiofilly--I've always admired people who are blessed with the talent to sew and figure out how to make things. Do you sew and sell( local craft fairs, etc.)? I can't thread a needle!:eek:

Thanks again,

Missyal

I'm just anticipating the horrible heat we are sure to experience in Europe next summer.

Missyal

Funny--my in-laws were freezing (temps in the 60s) when they went to Europe last summer (river cruise on the Danube) so it all depends when & where you go, eh?:p

Missyal

I have thought about getting some. Please post and let us know if they work!

I bought these last year when we went to Disney.... Yes they worked for me, however they are very slimy... so if you can get past the slime they will keep you cooler... the kids couldn't deal with the slime so I had 3 of them.:o Every once in awhile, they would try them for a few minutes :rolleyes: but I always got them back......I put a little baby powder on them the second day and it helped a little...also make sure you just get them wet and don't soak them to the point that they puff up completely:eek: ...

My suggestion is since they are so inexpensive, go ahead and try them... I got mine at Walmart in the sporting goods department for less then $5.00 each...

what's a sewing machine? ;)

A machine that takes up too much space, creates a huge mess and is very frustrating. I stopped sewing a couple of years ago when I decided I'd rathr stick the pins in my eyes.

I know there is a type of these things that are frozen, not wet, I'll see if I can find them in a little while, right now my family is expecting dinner. I'd rather call in the order, or make reservations, but I'm half way done with the chore.

what's a sewing machine? ;)

Still laughing even though I like to sew, particularly simple projects.

In fact tonight I sewed three simple soft and fluffy pillows for my Grandchildren. Their two Grandmas will be flying the three of them (ages 7, 2 1/2 and 1 1/2) next week (while their parents drive) to where the family is relocating and I thought the pillows would help them on the long flights.

Then again, I also own a table saw and various power equipment. Believe it or not the principles are essentially the same. I have designed and made various pieces of furniture and done basic repairs around the house. My DH does not (by his own admission) even know how to turn the equipment (including the sewing machine) on!!

Still, Jane, I am still giggling!!!!!

So, I did a search for cooling neck wraps and all that came up was the kind you soak in water. It gives me the heebie jeebies to have any water running down my back. Even when I wash my hair, the moment I take it down from the towel I comb through it and put it up in a headband to keep the water off my neck.

Archived