Dinner@ 5:45 PM or 7:45 PM-Pros & Cons?

TudorSue

My husband and I are sailing on Zaandam| Alaska in September. Today I had my TA check that our requested 6:30 PM seating for a table for two - made back in January - was reserved. Well, when she checked our reservation was completely messed up. (We'd been assigned to a table for four.). She was told - for a table for two - we now had to choose between a 5:45 PM seating on the upper level or 7:45 PM seating in the lower level.

This is our first-ever cruise, and we hope to do a number of shore excursions. Seasoned cruisers: please give me your suggestions and/or things to consider in finalizing our dinner decision. Our TA told us to be quick about our selection at this point. Thanks!

One thing to think about is that eating with other people is not so bad... Of course it’s the luck of the draw. But most of the time, if you are sociable people, then you will really enjoy the conversation that goes on while eating with other people. Also the fact that it’s your first cruise might lend itself well to eating with others because you may be with some seasoned veterans who can give you insight into cruising. However, if you’re going to eat with others, I would go to a bigger table, say 8 people. Then there is more a chance you will find someone you like in the mix.

Now, if you’re determined to eat by yourself. A good rule of thumb is to pick the time that best represents when you eat at home. If you do "main" (late) dinner, then you will be going to the "main" (late) show. If staying up till 11 is going to be a problem, then pick the early time. I would NOT recommend eating late, and then missing the show. Many people never go to the after dinner shows, and they are usually every entertaining.

Also; everyone is running around at the last min. on the first day trying to change their seating. Keep in mind that the maitre d' will take requests, and try his best to make everyone happy. It also means that something might open up at the last moment.

Thanks very much, David, for the excellent suggestions and points. This is a big anniversary celebration, so that's the real reason for the romantic table for two. From what I gather, breakfast and lunch are open seating so we hope to have interesting conversations with fellow cruisers then.

We will be arriving from the East Coast (+ 3 hours), therefore for a couple of days we're likely to be happier with the 5.45 PM slot since our stomachs will think it's 8:45 PM. Also, your remarks about atttending the show also seem to support the earlier dinner time. We would like to attend them.

I would suggest the 5:45 slot for dinner then. You also have the option of eating in the Pinnacle Grill, which has a cost of 20 dollars per person. Its reservation based, so on the nights you wanted to eat a bit later, you have that option. If you enjoy steak, then i highly recommend it.

Also, go on the ship tour that they have on embarkation day! And always feel free to ask questions to the cruise staff, if they can’t help you, then they will find someone who can.

Picking up where Davis Ross left off, why not have the best of all worlds. Have dinner with a large table for the reasons he stated and on the special night or two , have reservations in the specialty restautrant or even The Lido.

Lynn

One thing to remember with an "early" dinner seating like 5:45 PM are your shore excursions. This is a purely personal thing but we don't want to be rushed to get ready for dinner. If you are into shore excursions and depending which one(s) you choose, some can end pretty late such as 4-5 PM. Those do not leave you much time to relax and/or get ready prior to your dinner time. Just a thought ;) . Happy anniversary and enjoy your cruise on Zaandam in beautiful Alaska!

We prefer the later seating. I would feel very rushed, especially on formal night, trying to get ready for the early.

I prefer to do shore activities, come back to the ship, short nap,;) , then dress at leisure for cocktails and dinner. However, we never attend the shows, so after a 2 hour meal, we usually walk around for awhile, then head to the cabin for a movie and call it a night. That may not be your pleasure, but that's what works for us.

We loved Alaska. I hope you do, too.

Beth

Returned just a few days ago from the Gems of Baltic cruise, which was VERY port-intensive (not complaining, as I knew this beforehand). Our TA had tried to get a later seating for dinner but was unable to achieve this, so we ended up with the 5:45. As other posters have observed, this created a rush-rush interval between a day of exploration in port and the beginning of dinner. One night we had dinner in the Pinnacle (compliments of TA) at 7 p.m., and this made a big, pleasant difference. Another night we ate in the Lido because there simply was not enough time to get ready after our port activities, and these were our first priority, of course. We attended the 8:30 show most of the time but on some nights we went to the later one. Happy anniversary, and happy trip!

We prefer a later dinner mainly to permit more time on shore at ports and more time to get ready for a relaxed meal. We tried early dinner once and it only took a couple of nights and we changed to the later time. Our next cruise is very port intensive...something like 9 or 10 ports out of 14 days....and most of those ports show departure at or after 6 PM. While we'll be back on the ship well before departure time it still might be pressing the early dinner time a bit too much. But there's no right or wrong, it's what suits the individual or couples best and it's your cruise so enjoy. :)

My 2 cents worth is go late, gives you more time to clean up after all those excursions, also we like to go to the gym on board and that is usually our time there while first dinner folks are getting ready to go to dinner as usually pretty quiet there then.

We too usually ask for a table for 2 unless traveling with another couple. Seems that 2 top tables are popular and not always available but lots of 4 top tables as they are not extremely popular for all the reasons already posted What we have found is if we are assigned a 4 top (all but 1 time) we have been the only people assigned to the table. After the first night the waiter just sets it for two.

Happy Anniversary and have a great cruise, I'm sure you will

Mary:)

Tudor Sue,

We had the same experience of trying early seating then needing to change beause of the feeling of being rushed. You may miss some of the sailaways which are best enjoyed (by us) from the Crow's Nest.

Another reason for choosing a large table is the chance to share the cake HAL provides for special occasions (your TA has to let HAL know it's your anniversary).

Also consider HAL's "Renewal of Vows" ceremony . We did it on the Rotterdam for our 25th anniversary. The new package deal includes a dinner at the Pinnacle Grill. Also includes champagne and hors d'ouerves, flowers and corsage and boutonnaire,

a nice individual ceremony for each couple, and a memory album with pictures delivered (boxed) to your cabin..

Happy anniversary and happy first cruise.

You'll love Zaandam

GN

What thoughtful and on-target suggestions...thank you, one and all. DH and I are reconsidering the early two-person option in light of everyone's input. I think two days are sea days - at least during dinner time. But the earlier dining time would definitely put a crimp on shore time at Juneau.

We will have a chat with our TA today.

For all the reason spreviously posted, take the late seating.

If your stomach starts those mid-afternoon growls, remember you're on HAL. Tea is served daily in the Explorer's lounge. if you miss tea time, prowl the lounges for hors d'oeuvres.

That'll hold ya till dinner time!:D

This is the reason we prefer the open dining option offered with Princess and NCL; we can choose to dine whenever we want and with others or not, but that isn't the question. We faced the same delima (spelling) for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. First we choose late dining but then the couple we are traveling with changed their minds and decided it is too late as we couldn't finish eating til about 10pm. There are drawbacks to either but posiitves as well. We plan on just making certain our shore excursions aren't of the all day variety so we can get back, get dressed and have a cocktail before we eat or like a few have said, plan on the buffet or Pinacille Grill the days you are going to be on shore most of the time. As for eating alone or with others: having table mates can make your cruise even more exciting. If you end up with someone that just isn't your type you can always change tables. Happy Anniversary......NMNita

We also like the late dining as we are late getting ready anyway. However, I have often thought about an earlier time so I am not so full before bed. But then again an earlier seating would leave room for the midnight buffet. Hmmmmm. I guess I'll stay with the late crowd.

The latest twist: after mulling pros and cons, I advised our TA today to change what she understood from HAL yesterday was a confirmed 5:45 PM table for two on the upper level to the 7:45 PM seating.

When she called HAL today, she was told we were only waitlisted for 5:45 PM, and now we would be waitlisted for 7:45 PM! Well, she refused to accept this, and after going round and round, she spoke to someone higher up, who was able to confirm a a 7:45 PM table. She's requested a confirmatory email.

We booked this cruise about five months ago, at which time we placed our dining time request. It's still more than two months to sailing date. All I can say is that I'm glad we had second thoughts about dinner time now, and my TA has hopefully gotten the matter resolved. I'll feel better once I know she has received the email from HAL.

I'm another late seating voter. Even though your stomach will tell you it's a different time, it won't take more than 24 hours for it to adjust. Also, when you have a later dinner, you adjust your breakfast and lunch times accordingly.

I much prefer being able to take a shower, get changed, and go for a relaxing drink before dinner. I also prefer large tables where I can meet new and interesting people.

DD and I did the early seating in 2005. I like to eat early and then have the ability to move around and not feel so full at bedtime....plus with lots of water to drink you can dilute some of the calories of the wonderful meals. Most nutritionist will say not to eat or drink (caloric drinks) after 7 pm.

On the flip side on the upcoming cruise we have chosen the later time. DD wants to be able to do all the port excursions be able to come back, clean up and nap prior to dinner.

So we will see which is best for us.

Good Luck with your decision.

Linda

Archived