Disembarking in NYC - fastest way out of the pier?

Jewelfine

Hi there

we are spending the weekend in Manhattan after disembarking from the Dawn on Saturday July 8th - I have heard stories of people waiting 2 hours for cabs. We are staying close to the pier and really don't want to wait 2 hours to go 9-10 blocks - especially as it will eat into shopping time :-)

Any ideas?

Thanx

Melanie

We sail on the Dawn July 8 and are using a van service to drop off and pick up. I have no idea what time to tell them to pick us up on the 15th.

I would assume that taxi vans are waiting at the pier as well. Maybe we are better off taking one of those back instead?

We booked Super Shuttle (http://www.supershuttle.com/Default.htm) to get us to the ship & return to LaGuardia when it's done. They just need to know the pier. The person I talked to knew what time to have them come get you. Haven't done it yet, so I hope it works out. It was $120 for round trip for 4. It would probably be cheaper to use a taxi, but I liked to know that we have a ride waiting when we get off the ship. Our flight out is at 1:30, so I don't want to mess around when we disembark. And it was a lot less than what NCL wanted for transport.

We are just off the Spirit on Sat.

Used express debarkation (with 1000 others) and were off the ship at 9:20 and a very organized cab line is out front and for $6 were at Port Authority Bus Terminal for a 10:00 a.m. bus back to PA.

There are lots of cabs out there.

We just got off the Dawn and we had pre-arranged with Carmel Limo service to pick us up. I actually booked on the internet and they were very good. Our ship ended up getting in 2 hours late and the driver had shown up at the requested time and called to find out where we were. Once we got cell service we just called their 1-800 number once we were through Customs and they were waiting for us with a sign with our names on it. Charged $40 for 4 people to LGA with 4 pieces of luggage. We also used them from the airport to the ship the week before, without any problems.

We waited for a cab for 90 minutes on June 17, 2006. I wish we had gone down to the street floor and walked across the street to hail one. P&O Ports has a system set up whereby one gets a number from a cab person and then waits for the number to be called: mass confusion!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there

we are spending the weekend in Manhattan after disembarking from the Dawn on Saturday July 8th - I have heard stories of people waiting 2 hours for cabs. We are staying close to the pier and really don't want to wait 2 hours to go 9-10 blocks - especially as it will eat into shopping time :-)

Any ideas?

Thanx

Melanie

there are also private cars to hire for $$$$ It cost us $65.00 to get to the Grey Hound station but it was worth it as we did the early disembark and grabbed a ticket for a cab asap....we only had a little over an hour to spare and it would have been at least 2-3 hours if we had waited.......but maybe if your not doing the early disembark you will be fine.

We just got off the Dawn and we had pre-arranged with Carmel Limo service to pick us up. I actually booked on the internet and they were very good. Our ship ended up getting in 2 hours late and the driver had shown up at the requested time and called to find out where we were. Once we got cell service we just called their 1-800 number once we were through Customs and they were waiting for us with a sign with our names on it. Charged $40 for 4 people to LGA with 4 pieces of luggage. We also used them from the airport to the ship the week before, without any problems.

Glad to hear these folks do a good job, I have booked them to take us to the pier from LGA on the 15th. What time did you tell them to pick you up on the return? I have not booked that part yet, thought we would just do a cab, but if I knew what time to tell them to come would use them again for the return. Thanks for the help. Vicki

Thanx for the info - I was thinking of hiring a car to meet us but if we just have to walk across the street then maybe that would work - depends on our luggage I guess!

Hire the car. The price is competative with cabs and it is a much more pleasant experience.

Archived