You must leave it home, but ...

high seas gal

What's one thing you MUST leave at home, that you would enjoy having on your cruise with you? Pet? Child? Spouse? I must admit it ... I would enjoy having Peanut, my Jack Russell. Now if cruise ships only had a patch of grass for walking the dog ....

I would enjoy having Peanut, my Jack Russell. Now if cruise ships only had a patch of grass for walking the dog ....

Hi high seas gal...

Those JRTs get under your skin don't they...

Our Katie is shown upper left. She actually likes it when we travel, she goes to a house with no rules! We refer to her going to camp. She's depressed for weeks after we get back!

Cheers,

Joe

Bogie, my yorkie. I have looked at Cunard, they may have kennels by the winter, they do not have them yet on the Queen Mary. The Queen Elizabeth does have kennels.

Although he would want to be in my cabin, but they do have regular visiting hours.:p

Joe,

The way they cock their head when you talk to them....

Yes - she and I have long talks. I love it when she does that. She can spell too! We have had to start spelling some words backwards. Like TEART.

She is 4, a broken coat - overall smooth except for a patch down the middle of her back. Dad was smooth and long legged, Mom was very very rough and short legged. She is a long legged.

Congrats on your upcoming Anniversary!

Joe

I would take my Boston Terrier Duchess, but only if she could stay in the cabin with me. She doesn't do well with kennels. She goes and visits with my daughter or brother when I'm on a cruise.

Terri

This is Duchess (Sorry the picture is so large)

1525944798_duchesscopy.jpg.14b231c9e82b644fa04e8013181d7be3.jpg

I miss my DH and wish I could bring him when I cruise. But he won't consider cruising as he thinks he'll be bored! :( I know he would love cruising Alaska, if I could just get him there once! But I can't convince him otherwise, so I cruise with my mom, which is loads of fun because she's also one of my best friends!

What's one thing you MUST leave at home, that you would enjoy having on your cruise with you? Pet?.............

OK, without a doubt! Our Tasha, a Shih-itzu. We constantly rearrange our life around her. We take her with us as much as common courtesy allows. :D

i always leave my sobriety at home....but i often wonder as i am passed out under a lifeboat- maybe i should have taken it.

I might wonder if I should have taken it, but I certainly don't miss it:D :D

Terri

Yeah, have to say it would be our Corgi, Hubble. At least he gets to go to a "crate-free" house when we're away, so he's happy, and always a little fatter than when we left.

Joe, Hubble can spell about ten words now, including "treat" and "walk." If we ask if he wants to go in the car, he's off like a shot to the door to the garage in the kitchen, and even knows whether we're going in the station wagon or the sedan, based on who's carrying the car keys.:confused:

He also does the cocking of the head, and when really excited, does the appparently very typical, stretch and "aarrrooooo" talking thing before his walk. In other words, "let's get going, I'm ready!":)

Misses her Big Boy...

Our 10 lb terror - Morgan.

He is a yorkie.

She always brings a picture of him for the cabin.

We always bring a picture of Katie too. She's "been on" three cruises and a trip to China.

Joe

Yeah, have to say it would be our Corgi, Hubble. At least he gets to go to a "crate-free" house when we're away, so he's happy, and always a little fatter than when we left.

Joe, Hubble can spell about ten words now, including "treat" and "walk." If we ask if he wants to go in the car, he's off like a shot to the door to the garage in the kitchen, and even knows whether we're going in the station wagon or the sedan, based on who's carrying the car keys.:confused:

He also does the cocking of the head, and when really excited, does the appparently very typical, stretch and "aarrrooooo" talking thing before his walk. In other words, "let's get going, I'm ready!":)

Andrew,

Katie too goes to a crate free house when we travel. Although the crate goes along too as that's her special place. They just never close the door.

She got a big walk in the Arboretum next to our house last night, so she was super tired. A tired Jack Russell is a good Jack Russell. For her now, we simply say let's go for a "W". We have to be careful not to say it until we are ready otherwise she's follows us rather impatiently around the house. She's a very bossy dog!

Joe

We would love to bring our "kids". Sam and the twins, Will & Grace. They are Brussels Griffons. Will is pictured above. We miss them when we cruise. On the other hand, it gives them a vacation at summer camp :) . They stay at the local vet, where they are spoiled silly by the staff. They are always happy when we come back for them, but I can't help feeling they miss all the pampering they get while we are away.

I wish I could convince my DH to come along. He is handicapped and is worried about his mobility. I know he would love a cruise. He has a battery operated wheelchair but says it would be too much trouble to drag it along. :confused: Nothing I say (or show him) has him convinced to go. So I sail with my cousins who are lots of fun - but it's not the same. On the plus side - he has been telling me lately that he'll cruise when we get the mortgage paid off - little does he know that I've been sending in extra payments for the last couple of years. :D With a little luck, I'll drag him on board sometime in the next 10 years. ;)

Karen

We're driving to Galveston for our next cruise so no airline weight or bag restrictions. My wife is already figuring what that means for a 12 day cruise and no limitations. I don't think we're going to leave anything at home!:eek: Oh yeah....the cats but they'll survive.

This is very interesting. We are attached to our pets aren't we, especially when our children are grown and have families of their own. Yes, Peanut, my Jack Russell, knows all those words as well. And she loves to have anyone sing to her. That "T" word (treat) works better than anything else when we need to get her attention. She, too, will be staying with our vet while we cruise, and yes, they spoil her completely, usually keeping her out in the office with the reception staff. She loves it. Plus while she's there she gets everyday play time with the other dogs.

Regarding the DH in the wheelchair. I wish he would go with you. There are lots of wheelchairs and no problems. He deserves to go with you, and you deserve to have him. Please continue to encourage him, and hopefully he'll agree to go before the mortgage is paid off!

Well, back to work!

I recall reading a very heart-warming article in Cruise Travel magazine some time ago on this very suject. The author was most impressed how accommodating Celebrity was for one particular passenger and companion.

Seems that a dear lady wished to travel with friends and needed her seeing eye dog with her for obvious reasons. Celebrity's carpenter shop crafted a large flat box for her veranda and filled it with grassy turf. Doggie was happy and didn't have to go any farther for his toilet than his human companion did for hers. The article reported that the dog seemed to have the time of his life, that the crew and passengers adored him, and that everyone involved couldn't have been more pleased.

Believe me, if I hadn't been a Celebrity devotee prior to that article, I certainly was after reading it!

Archived