Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Cinderellie

If you have 2 shopping saver cards with a magnetic stripe, you should use them for the safe as they will be both the same and both of you can open and close the safe.

Pryd

Can anyone explain this safe thing to me in detail? Does the safe use a credit card reader to open and close?

Can anyone explain this safe thing to me in detail? Does the safe use a credit card reader to open and close?

phlydude, the safes operate with a magnetic strip. You can use anything with a magnetic strip, (room key, credit card, store discount cards, etc.) I've seen in other post's that a good choice is the blank gift cards you find in stores. There is no value to them until you purchase it and have it activated, so basically a nothing card to you and it has the magnetic strip.

It can only be opened with the same card that was used to lock it, which can present a problem if you take the card and cabinmate needs to get into the safe. I do like the idea of the store cards, where they give you the big one and the little one's for your keychain. It would make sense that, each would have the same information on it, so you should be able to have two cards that will open the safe. Haven't tried it, so not sure if it works or not, but in theory.

phlydude, the safes operate with a magnetic strip. You can use anything with a magnetic strip, (room key, credit card, store discount cards, etc.) I've seen in other post's that a good choice is the blank gift cards you find in stores. There is no value to them until you purchase it and have it activated, so basically a nothing card to you and it has the magnetic strip.

It can only be opened with the same card that was used to lock it, which can present a problem if you take the card and cabinmate needs to get into the safe. I do like the idea of the store cards, where they give you the big one and the little one's for your keychain. It would make sense that, each would have the same information on it, so you should be able to have two cards that will open the safe. Haven't tried it, so not sure if it works or not, but in theory.

Uhhh, hate to be thinking too logically (smack me if I am being a bit too nerdy) but...

what happens if your store card demagnitizes? the ship would have no way of reprogramming that info onto the card. How would the safe be opened then? I would rather assume to use my S&S card since if it demagnitizes, the pursor's desk could re-write the info back onto my card. Wouldn't roommates' cards be identical if they were on the same ship account?

I have always been curious so pardon my questions! :rolleyes:

Wouldn't roommates' cards be identical if they were on the same ship account?

No cards are the same. You have a FOLIO number on your card that is unique and therefore the information contained on the strip is dfferent even if you are in the same cabin and on the same credit card.

Is this true on all the ships or just the newer ones?? We will be going on the Fantasy and was curious if this is true for the older fleets too??

Thanks!

Our safe on the Fantasy was inside the closet- you enter in a code (we used 4 digits) to open it and the same code to lock it shut. It's digital.

After I emptied it, I locked it- now I'm hoping this didn't cause problems for the next people....... I would think they just re-program them.

We are 19 days away from our cruise on Fantasy, I can hardly wait. I wonder then if all safes on the Fantasy are the same? That would be much easier on me then trying to remember which card I used. But are things really safe in your safe? Or should you not leave extra cash in them? Just a silly question I know, but can't help wondering.

I would bet all the Fantasy class uses the 4-digit key kinda safes. On Jubilee (Celebration class), we had to ask for a key from the Room Steward and that's what we used to open the tiny, tiny safe - it basically held 2 thick wallets and that was it.

My tips:

1) Don't ever pay for Cruise ship transfers from the airport to the port - taxis are cheaper (especially with 4 of us) and faster and you don't arrive with a busload of people.

2) On the Fantasy and Celebration class ships, all the cabins are the same size (except Cat. 11 and 12) - typically, your only difference is the deck that you're on. And, most cabins are on the bottom 4 decks - you don't have nightclubs over one set of cabins, excercise rooms over another (except the Cat. 11 Verandahs), etc. So, this is probably the best kind of ship to do guarantees on. I have heard there's a lot of noise for lower Aft cabins on Celebration type ships, but it might still be worth the risk. Guarantees are probably riskier on the new ships since cabins are scattered all over the decks and all over the ship.

3) Don't use Carnival's air unless you're travelling at a peak time to a higher fare port, i.e., a Christmas cruise in San Juan, PR. We absolutely could never find better fares than their published ones for that time. However, at other times, we could not only find better fares, we could use miles to purchase air, vouchers, etc. And, they really won't hold the ship for you for very long - maybe a couple of hours and only if lots of passengers were being delayed. It's better to come in the day before a cruise anyway if you don't want to risk missing the ship.

4) If you have a black suitcase (and most of us do), put something on the handle to distinquish it from all the other black suitcases. Better yet, buy colorful suitcases - red, purple, bright blue, flowered - they're ALWAYS easier to find than black suitcases in the warehouse and on the airline carousel.

5) Find a small rolling carryon bag - even a small rolling suitcase as a carryon. It sure is nicer to roll it around the airport (after you've checked your bags) than to schlep a heavy carryon on your shoulders. I typically use the rolling carryon to carry my giant purse (could be a briefcase for a guy) and then NOTHING goes on my shoulders.

6) Always bring extra clothes on your return trip home in your carryon bags. We have been on 2 trips now where they offered us airline vouchers if we stayed overnight and took flights out the next morning. This was AFTER we'd checked all our clothing bags. Having an extra pair of underwear and t-shirt will always make these offers seem more doable than knowing you'll have to wear ALL the same clothes for 2 days in a row. This also goes for making sure your toiletries are STILL in your carryon bag.

7) Finally, I have a clear makeup pouch that I keep full at all times for trips. It has a travel toothbrush, hair brush, toothpaste, travel makeup, travel deodorant, bandaids, some OTC medicine, extra contacts, travel shampoo and conditioner, soap, razor and more - yes, it's stuffed pretty full. I throw it in my carryon for every kind of trip I make (including a weekend with my parents). When I return home from the trip, I put it, still full, under the sink, ready for the next trip. Now on cruises, I may add lots more stuff to my carryon bag (Ginger tablets for nausea, sunscreen, water wallet, batteries, mesh beach bag, umbrella, etc.), but I never have to worry about the basics - they're covered in my always ready cosmetics bag.

My brother in law said that on their last cruise they paid full price for soda card the first day only to have Carnival offer it at a discount the second day. Do they always discount it the second day?

You pay by the day - so as each day passes the price will get cheaper. I think I read it's like $5.50 a day for adults and $4.00 a day for kids (plus 15%). Whatever day you purchase you must pay for the remaining days of the cruise.

Our safe on the Fantasy was inside the closet- you enter in a code (we used 4 digits) to open it and the same code to lock it shut. It's digital.

After I emptied it, I locked it- now I'm hoping this didn't cause problems for the next people....... I would think they just re-program them.

ALWAYS leave the safe open when you leave a ship or a hotel. They do have to reprogram them, but why put them to that trouble....

Wait until the last day to purchase your pictures, that way you can choose the best. If you pull them each day, they should hold them for you (at least they will on RCCL) that way you don't have to search through everything for the same pics day after day either!

Ive never been charged for a lost towel.. of course, I dont think Ive actually LOST a towel.. however several times we got towels at the pool and they didnt even ask us for a room number they just handed out towels.. so I dont see how they could have kept track of who lost a towel if they didnt get all the towels back... I think thats a silly rule.. who is to say who handed one back and who didnt?? Unless they are going to start putting bar codes on the towels and scanning them as they check them in and out, lol...

Can someone clear this up for me? I have been told that its a MUST for men to wear a jacket or sports coat for formal night, but others have said that dress pants, shirt and tie is fine. Dont know if I could get hubby into a jacket, but most definately would wear a nice shirt and tie. We will be on the Carnival Triumph March 19.

On formal nights, about 80-90% of the men wear a jacket and tie. Your husband can go with just a shirt and tie but he will be in the minority. If you don't mind that, then go for it. My husband simply wore a jacket and polo shirt for one of the formal nights and felt a little conspicuous but he lived through it.

Can someone clear this up for me? I have been told that its a MUST for men to wear a jacket or sports coat for formal night, but others have said that dress pants, shirt and tie is fine. Dont know if I could get hubby into a jacket, but most definately would wear a nice shirt and tie. We will be on the Carnival Triumph March 19.

I think the shirt and tie being o.k. on formal night is for boys, and young men. But, if you cant get hubby into a jacket, then go for it, no one is going to say anything. He will notice that it is formal night and men are in jackets, then next time HE may be the one to decide to wear a jacket.:) My hubby hates his suit, but he wants to wear it on formal night on a cruise. :D

Another incentive to the men in our lives: if we WOMEN get all glitzy and gussied up, then won't they want to match us? My guy wears a tux - mmm, yeah, baby! We always get great pictures because we are equally nicely attired. And we stay in our formal wear all night - it seems silly to me to go to all the trouble of getting fancy just to eat, then change as some do.

jmho, I prefer to be on the edge of being dressed too nice, rather than not nice enough.

Just got back from a cruise a few weeks ago, and reading this thread makes me want to re-book one NOW!

I have enjoyed all the tips!

Mine: On a Fantasy Class ship, you will have a LOT more room in your stateroom if you let them arrange the beds in a "two singles" configuration rather than a "queen". My wife and I noticed that our kids stateroom had a ton more space because of that.

Next time we'll do it that way. All right.... no snickering! :)

Bill

My take on formal night is that if you don't want to wear the jacket, then don't. I take mine off when I sit down anyway (broad shoulders and long arms make the jacket uncomfortable in reaching and eating).

As far as changing afterwards, I look at it like this. I get dressed each day for work in a pair of slacks, button down shirt, sweater or jacket and tie. When I'm on vacation, I want t-shirts, polos, cargo shorts and sandals or docksiders. Sure, I could stay in my suit or tux but I find that once you head into a bar, the cigarette smoke tends to permeate you clothes quickly. Now if I wasn't going to wear the suit again for a second formal night, I might not mind wearing it all night. If I am going to wear it again, I will get changed into something more befitting lounging around a club or bar. (my wife doesn't particularly like being dressed up in a gown and heels all night either)

Archived