Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Cinderellie

I will be taking my first Carnival cruise in June. When I booked the cruise, the agent asked if we had any celebrations and I told him it was our 25th anniversary. He e-mailed me that our "celebration" would be the first formal night and gave me the date. Will I be charged for this "celebration?"

As an aside, we will be on Valor. Does anyone know if there is shade on the pool deck? I am not a sun worshipper but enjoy being near the pool to read, watch the activities, and watch the ocean.

But on the first formal night Lobster Tail and Filet Mignon was both on the menu....so, I ordered both.

<snip>

I guess that the biggest tip that I could give is don't be afraid to ask for anything.

Very true.

This was on RCCL's Monarch, but I'm sure it holds true for Carnival...

We'd gone on a Jolly Roger pirate boat, severely oversampled the rum, and missed the lobster for dinner that night. The next night, my wife asked if there was any possibilty of getting lobster, and they were glad to serve it up for her.

Just had to ask.

I learned how to get free ship credit on Carnival several years ago. If you own at least 100 shares of CCL stock, you are entitled to shipboard credit depending on the line and the length of your cruise. For a 7 day cruise, it amounts to $100. The credit can't be used for gaming chips, and must be asked for in advance. You need to fill out a form and provide proof of ownership (broker statement). Very few people know about this since the only place it is ever mentioned is on a single page buried in their annual report (that's where I first read about it). I've been getting the credit since I sailed in the Sensation in 2001 (also on the Esctasy and the Carnival Triumph; I'll also be getting it on the Paradise in January.

If you are travelling to the port from an airport, take the Supershuttle instead of the ship transport. I'ts cheaper, less crowded, and departs more quickly. If you have three or more people, it might be cheaper to take a taxicab.

If your stateroom is cold (mine usually is), call your steward and ask for 2 extra blankets. It always works (well, I was travelling alone on the Sensation, and my room steward only provided me with one extra blanket. I simply tore apart the other bed to get the second blanket I needed. After 2 days of making up 2 beds instead of 1, he provided the second extra blanket).

For first timers, if you have early embarkation to the ship (before the cabins are ready), proceed directly to the lido deck for a buffet lunch. This is also the time the bar staff will try to get you started on your bar bill with their drink specials (often called a "bon voyage"). However, there are free alternatives, like coffee, tea, lemonade, and fruit juice.

Back a change of clothes in your carry on baggage. Sometimes it may take some time to get your baggage.

Pack your own bottled water, or at least an empty bottle. Fill it up before going ashore. It's much cheaper than buying it from the ship.

If you are going to Jamacia, something they don't tell you is that US citizens can bring back an extra bottle of alcohol duty free, if it is both made and sold in Jamacia.

One thing that I rememberd from the Elation cruise was the phone system. You could dial a number and access the automated wake-up call system which will wake you up. Trust me.

Also, most people can't tell the difference between Ginger Ale (which I love) and beer, and Ginger Ale is covered under the soda card. Fruit smoothies, however, aren't covered under the soda card, but once again, most people can't tell the difference between that and a Daqurai. Why do I mention this? I don't drink by choice.

I always bring a collapsable cooler with me on the plane. It has diet Dr. Peppers on the way down, snacks and drinks during the trip for excursions, and breakables on the way back. I call it my "personal bag", ie a purse, since I throw my wallet in it too, and that way I can take a carry-on rolling bag also!

And I usually buy a beach towel at the first port for cheap. Good souvenir and alot less expensive than the Carnival ones!

This is a GREAT thread. It would be even better and more people would read and reply if others would stop messing it up with

* How do I get the clock?

* Testing

* Gee, are you from Atlanta?

* When will I get my docs?

* How does sail and sign work?

* etc. etc. etc.

It sure would be nice if folks could stay on TOPIC.

A little tip if you have a computer, cell phone or anything else that needs power. Take a small extension cord since most cabins have ONE plug, usually far from where you might need it.

Extension cords ARE provided at no charge if you fill out the medical needs form in advance (I have sleep apnea; requested one for my cpak machine in advance and got one by filling out the form). Fortunately, I was assigned stateroom 2445 on main deck aft on the Triumph and never needed it due to the proximity of a power outlet.

Jeffrey

We usually bring one twin size sheet, that is no longer used at home. DH & I use it to lie on the beach at each port & then we just leave it after us on the ship when it is time to go.

Most ports we like to find a remote beach & be alone so this "old sheet" idea works well. Before people start going nuts, it isn't a dirty sheet or a ripped sheet,it is just a sheet that is no longer in use (i.e. we brought a 'pound puppy sheet') one year that my 18 year old used to sleep on when he was 3!

Jeffrey , My hubby and I have been thinking of buying some CCL stock, we are booked on the Miracle next June and would love to get the shipboard credit. Do we just call Carnival to have them send us the form?? If we buy 100 shares that will be enough for the credit? Thanks for the info. Connie

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on the previous pages, but the best showers on the ship are located just outside the stam and sauna on the Spa deck. They are about the size of a closet with one shower head above and four shower heads in the wall on the sides. I used to start each morning wigh a sauna (to get rid of the toxins I accumulated by ingestion the night before in the piano bar) and finish up with one of these glorious showers.

Jeffrey , My hubby and I have been thinking of buying some CCL stock, we are booked on the Miracle next June and would love to get the shipboard credit. Do we just call Carnival to have them send us the form?? If we buy 100 shares that will be enough for the credit? Thanks for the info. Connie
I think you have to be a stockholder AT THE TIME you booked the cruise. Give it a shot though. :)

OK, I gotta ask, why would one bring a crockpot on a cruise?!?!?!?!
Deb,

LOL . . . this is an old CC joke, most likely emanating from a poster years ago that asked about bringing a crock pot onboard so they could CUT BACK ON THE COST OF EATING IN THE DINING ROOM ! (They obviously didn't know that ALL MEALS ARE INCLUDED. ;)

Kind of a "Beverly Hillbillys go Cruisin" scenario. :D

Of course, what inevitably had to follow, The Blender for mixing drinks in your cabin with the smuggled booze, The Barbeque, an obvious deviation from the crockpot for those that have balconies, and, of course, The Fishing Gear, to troll for and catch those beautiful bounties of the deep for grilling on your barbeque ! ! :D

1) On our last Paradise cruise there was no charge for a cappuccino in the dining rooms. Didn't learn about this until the last 5 days of our 14 day cruise.

2) There was low carb bread and a low carb menu at dinnertime only. It was

difficult to keep to our low carb diet at the buffets due to mostly high carb items. So, we ate in the dining room as much as possible.

3) We brought a light weight rolling foldup ice chest, gave our steward a $10 bill and he kept it in ice all through our cruise. That way our water was cold, and so were our special drinks and we didn't have to get into the pricy mini-bar.

Deb,

LOL . . . this is an old CC joke, most likely emanating from a poster years ago that asked about bringing a crock pot onboard so they could CUT BACK ON THE COST OF EATING IN THE DINING ROOM ! (They obviously didn't know that ALL MEALS ARE INCLUDED. ;)

Kind of a "Beverly Hillbillys go Cruisin" scenario. :D

Of course, what inevitably had to follow, The Blender for mixing drinks in your cabin with the smuggled booze, The Barbeque, an obvious deviation from the crockpot for those that have balconies, and, of course, The Fishing Gear, to troll for and catch those beautiful bounties of the deep for grilling on your barbeque ! ! :D

I dug around and found that thread...whew! I was beginning to wonder about you folks...;)

Shipboard credit is no reason to buy stock. If you want to invest in a company you believe in, that's fine because you do run the risk of a dimininshed investment if your not in it for the long haul. With the current price, do you want to risk over $5000 for some shipboard credit? Only you and your financial circumstances can answer that.

I called Carnival, and it doesn't matter when you booked or bought the stock as long as you own 100 shares. We were thinking of buying some for awhile anyway, seems like a good investment!! Thanks for input. Connie

You do not have to be a shareholder at the time you book the cruise. I bought stock afterwards, but with plenty of time before the sailing date to send in the required documentation. Received a $100 credit for our 7 day cruise-lesser amounts are given for shorter cruises. The Carnival Annual Report has a list of what must be submitted in order to receive the shareholder credit.

Tip your room stewart in cash on the first day, that can bring rewards.

Also the bartenders. Once we tipped a drink waiter. LAter when some beers got damaged (Bent cans) that they would not sell, we got them free.

Also, tips can help you get cokes in the can COLD.

The beauty salon on NCL sea has a real coke cooler and the cokes there are the coldest ones on the ship. Even had a little "Frost" on the outside of the can.

richfret, we are on the Valor on 5/22. Would you mind to give a trip report upon your return? We are anxiously awaiting her arrival.

Thanks!:)

Hi! There's a roll call thread recently started over there...I've gotten the biggest kick out of this board, I'd love to get to know and be able to meet up with people from CC!

Archived