Sharps Container

spcl4cs_gal

Having recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I have to monitor my blood glucose four times a day. In order to get a container for my used lancets should I have my TA request one or just wait until I get onboard and ask my RS for one?

No problem at all. You can get a sharps container at the Infirmary. No charge. I have noticed signs in the cabin bathrooms telling guests to be sure to get a container for the safety of stewards and everyone else. No special in advance arrangements are necessary.

No problem at all. You can get a sharps container at the Infirmary. No charge. I have noticed signs in the cabin bathrooms telling guests to be sure to get a container for the safety of stewards and everyone else. No special in advance arrangements are necessary.

Thanks for the info. I will pick one up as soon as the dreaded lifeboat drill has finished. :)

In the past when I have asked my cabin steward for one he has referred me to the front desk. A telephone call did the trick. They have arranged to have a (fairly large) container sent to the cabin.

I keep the container in the bathroom, and find it takes up a great deal of space on the counter. On a shorter cruise (7 or 10 days) I just bring an empty medicine bottle and put the used lancets and test strips in that. Then I bring it home for disposal.

Ruth - I too was going to suggest the empty pill bottle. That's what I use here at home. I wrote '"SHARPS" on my bottle with a marker so that the steward didn't accidentally think it was trash & toss it out.

I don't test 4 times daily so don't need to change my lancet quite so often. I do, however, drop the test strip in the bottle, since blood is on it. Also, I found I was getting wildly varied readings by wiping my finger with the alcohol swabs - probably diluting the blood. :eek: Now I just wash & dry my hands really well prior to sticking myself.

spcl4cs_gal - You can have your TA request a low carb diet for you (30 days in advance, I think). I didn't bother. I figured I don't order from a low carb menu in real life, so why should I while on holiday? I found enough choices from the regular menu to more than satisfy me.

Have a fantastic cruise!!!!!

Hi Alison

Nice to hear your going cruising again!

Larry asked for a sharps container on Noordam this past March and got one that is used for needles. This is where you break the needle point off into the container. Not what we needed for lancets. We did finally get a very large container for Larrys few lancets. I would suggest the pill vial option with Sharps written on it. The big sharps box is a bit of overkill.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I like the idea of the pill bottle so will forget about the sharps container that HAL provides. As for the low carb menu, I'm with you Sunshine. I know what I can eat and what I should leave alone so will just go with the regular menu at dinner. My biggest weakness will be the breadbasket that they put on the table at dinner though. I just love HAL's round rolls.

Julie - Yes, cruising again in March...and a different ship to boot. Who would have thunk it? Do you have your next one booked yet? :)

Archived