Accommodation near Circular Quay? Too expensive?

howsthis

I am just wondering if anyone has stayed near Circular Quay before leaving on cruise from there. Since we have a 'l o n g' time to wait I have been thinking that we might add a night or two of accomodation in Sydney if not too expensive. Has anyone done this? Would appreciate any advice.

There is certainly some eye-wateringly expensive accommodation near Circular Quay, but some of the other hotels can be pretty affordable. If you do a search of the Australia/NZ forum, there are quite a few threads discussing Sydney hotels.

If you're prepared to "have a go" (with all the uncertainties that come with it), Pricelining a 5* hotel in Sydney fairly reliably returns the Sydney Harbour Marriott, whose Circular Quay location can't be beaten. But one of the uncertainties with Priceline is always that you can't absolutely guarantee that this is the hotel that you'll get. However, checking http://www.biddingfortravel.com may give you an indication of what other people are having luck with.

Why circular quay? Try other places in town and they will probably be less expensive.

We are also cruising end of August and are staying 2 nights in Sydney doing the tourist thing which will be fun - I am fortunate that I have access to 5 star accommodation at no cost which I am sooo looking forward to.:)

Try the Wot ifs etc,,

cruise.png.6aed799c95e12d062bd2eb3be8a11f28.png

Why circular quay? Try other places in town and they will probably be less expensive...
Exactly. Try the Darling Harbour area, for example, or if you are ok with using transit, there are great deals to be had outside the city core such as North Sydney, Bondi Beach area, etc.

We stayed once at the Intercontinental (close to Circular Quay) and found that we had to taxi or transit to almost everything we wanted to do except a few close-by great restaurants, the Opera and the Botanic Gardens.

But Walt

The International is but a short easy walk from Phillip's Foot Restaurant, which has great steaks, if you don't mind bar-b-cuing them yourself!

We always eat there at least once while in Sydney.

hi everyone would anyone know a motel close to were the cruise leaves from and also some were to park the car near there that is not over priced .also can u drop your bags off in the morning before check in time? thanks for any help

We looked into accommodation a couple of months ago and found most places close to the ship to be priced around $200+ per a night.

If you're after a budget alternative, the formula 1 hotel have rooms which are $59 - $84 a night. They have a hotel near the airport and some others around Sydney.

We chose to fly out on the day. We use to live not too far from Sydney and we wasn't interested in the tourist thing. Our main worry now is the day we leave is the Ekka show day public holiday. It is going to be traffic chaos getting to the airport.

also can u drop your bags off in the morning before check in time? thanks for any help

Yes, you can drop your bags of at anytime the morning of sailing - just make sure your luggage labels with all the correct details are on them and they'll make their way to your cabin.

We arrived from the airport at 9am, dropped our bags off and then went and explored Circular Quay for a few hours, caught up with family, had an early lunch. All much easier to do if you aren't lugging around luggage.

Flowerpower, not sure which terminal your ship leaves from. If it is Wharf 8 Darling Harbour, then Keepcruising has parked at a Wilson parking station around near the Darling Harbour hotels. If you are parking for a cruise you get a better rate. I think it is $10 per day. She has the details.

I stayed at the Grace hotel which wasn't too far from Wharf 8. I can't remember the price. I stayed there for work and walked down and met Keepcruising when they got of their cruise last year.

Thanks guys, because there will be 4 of us we cannot all fit into our car, luggage etc, so we will probably get to Sydney by train but thought that if we were not too far from Circular Quay then we wouldn't have to struggle too far with our luggage. I guess we could get 2 taxis, anyway just trying to think of different options so thanks for ideas.

Thanks guys, because there will be 4 of us we cannot all fit into our car, luggage etc, so we will probably get to Sydney by train but thought that if we were not too far from Circular Quay then we wouldn't have to struggle too far with our luggage. I guess we could get 2 taxis, anyway just trying to think of different options so thanks for ideas.

There is a train station at Circular Quay and it's certainly not a long walk to the terminal. As soon as you get off the train you'll see the ship. It will be nice to leave from Circular Quay although it's a shame not to go under the Bridge. But hey, we get to do that on the way back (not quite as exciting though coming back home:( ).

Karen

Our main worry now is the day we leave is the Ekka show day public holiday. It is going to be traffic chaos getting to the airport.

If you're so worried about the Ekka traffic, why don't you get the train to the Airport?

Trevor.

• 2 weeks later...

Howsthis

We are Aussie natives and use a web site called http://www.wotif.com.au the prices are great. The cheapest is within 2 weeks of arrival. We have got things in central Sydney for a very good rate. The monorail goes around Sydney and down in Darling Harbour so access to most areas is easy. The Darling Harbour area hotels can be quite expensive at times but see how you go.

Peta

Hi All

After hours of searching all the wotifs, rates to go, need it now and many many others:rolleyes: .

We ended up booking the Meriton World Tower (2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment). The Hotel matched the same costing as the cheapest we were quoted with the same booking conditions. And I felt more comfortable booking direct with the premises.

We have been advised the $216 per night which is what we paid is really good for this type of accommodation & it looks to be very central.

Although I'm not too sure on being up above the 62nd floor :eek: , my hubby thinks it will be great.

Shop around.

Deb:)

Fortknox, that is a good price. The last time I was in Sydney I organized 3 x 2 bedroom apartments for a longweekend with industry rates and our price was similar - so you deserve a pat on the back:)

I had to book well in advance for a wedding cruise on the harbour and there were 18 of us! Last minute deals are usually really good.

Hi Deb,

Meriton World Tower is fantastic. I'm sure you will love it. We stayed there not long after it opened in December 2004 and it has amazing views. Floor to ceiling windows. We were down for a conference at Darling Harbour and it was a comfortable 5-10 minute walk to the conference centre. We loved just sitting in the lounge room of a night time looking at the lights.

We had a fairly large group with 6 apartments booked and every one of them had a fantastic view. The best ones though were the three bedroom apartments as they are on the corner and the panoramic views are fantastic. One of our 3 bedroom apartments looked over Darling Harbour and out to Home Bush, it even had a glimpse of the Bridge. The one I stayed in looked out over the side and we could see right from around the naval base and the heads through to the airport.

Enjoy the spa in the bathroom and if you have time check out the swimming pool... For those who want to check it out here is the website for the apartments http://www.meritonapartments.com.au/ecms/home/pages/common/show-story.cfm?story_id=864.

We were so impressed with Meriton we have had groups stay there another two times for conferences. People always get excited when we tell them they are staying at Meriton!

Finally, one piece of advice about the various "last minute" accom sites. Shop around, I have often found exactly the same room on two sites for a very different price or added extras.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Archived