CC balcony doors-do they stay open?

dionibas

The verandah doors on Celebrity are sliding doors like patio doors. We have not had a problem keeping them open - no bungee cords.

From what I have read, other lines have hinged doors that have self closers and cruisers use bungee cords to keep them open.

Mancuso ~ HOW LUCKY !!!! 8181 is my favorite cabin on any ship I've been on.

The doors slide and if you turn the door handle down, the door should lock in place. But Mancuso is correct. I've been in some cabins where the "lock" doesn't hold very well and the door does sometime slide shut if there is good ship movement. If that's the case in your cabin, ask maintenance to take a look at it. If it won't lock in place when you have it open, that means it probably won't lock when you close it, either. And your door should lock.

Have a fabulous cruise in the Baltics.......we did it last year and it's wonderful.

We were in #7206 on Constellation in May, and if you turn the sliding door lever to a downward position, the door is "supposed" to stay locked in an open position. Sometimes it worked, sometimes didn't. Also on Summit #7208 in Jan. the same problem.

Karyn

We are booked on the Constellation and have heard so many say that they take bungie cords to keep balcony doors open. Is this necessary in an aft cabin? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

We just got off the Constellation yesterday and had no problem keeping our balcony door open. However, we had a mid ship concierge cabin, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks to all of the replies. We have a CC aft cabin and I now feel fairly confident that I don't need to pack a bungee cord! I got a little carried away with a "packing list" post I was on! You should see my closet! Can't wait!

We had an AFT on Infinity and the door never stayed "locked" in the open position. We had it slam shut just as our DD walked through the threshold. Once it also locked Ms. Flagger outside on the balcony.

We have had aft (rear facing) cabins on both the Connie and the Summit and had problems with the doors staying open. I take along a small roll of duct tape (is there anything it can't fix) to secure the door and anything else i might need to secure.

Have a great cruise.

Dave...:D

I think the Celeb doors are the same design as RCCL.

I had a similar problem with the balcony doors in an aft cabin on JOS and was told that the doors would not lock "open".

I thought this was a little strange in view of the risk of being hit by the door and the fact that it continually made a loud noise as it moved backwards and forwards.

I inspected the doors and found that there was a lever on the right hand side of the opening door. When the door is open the lever should be pushed down and the door is then locked in that position.

Hope this helps

Alan

They don't take much room and if you get a door that just won't lock, hook one end to drape tie back hook and other end to door handle and you are in business. We have been on 3 different MClass ships, and have had doors that do lock and doors that don't. A mention to the cabin steward and he'll get someone in to try to fix, but some are just too worn to lock open.

We had an AFT on Infinity and the door never stayed "locked" in the open position. We had it slam shut just as our DD walked through the threshold. Once it also locked Ms. Flagger outside on the balcony.

This also happened to us. We were both on the balcony-aft. Had to yell at our neighbor who called our attendant and she got the chief housekeeper to unlock our room door and open the balcony door. Thank goodness there was someone out on their balcony!!!:eek: We'd still be out there on the Infinity aft balcony-not the worst thing that could happen!:p

Didn't know about the locked in position with handle down. Guess ours was worn out.

Judy

There was a "catch" in the fully open position that the "locked" door should have caught on that would have kept it open. However that catch was worn and the door could slide closed in the locked position. When it got to fully closed the pin went into the pre-drilled hole and kept the door locked and from sliding back open. Luckily it was January and not very hot in the Carib, but still could have been a PITA as there was no one else along the AFT to the sides or above or below at that time for her to yell too.

Archived