Celebrity or Holland America??

ashuma

64 degrees - 75 degrees Fahrenheit is okay with us! :D

Thanks!

Factoid: The United States and Jamaica are the only countries left in the world that still stick to the Fahrenheit scale. We have learned to "compute" in Celsius when we travel, as most of the population outside of the U.S. have no clue how to convert from F to C. When I tell them that Palm Springs reaches 125 degrees (F), they kind of look at me with a blank stare; converseley, when I tell them it gets above 50 ©, they comprehend what I'm telling them.

Mike

A cute and easy way to do the conversions without math is this little ditty:

30 is hot, 20 pleases, 10 is cold, 0 freezes. :)

Of course, I am not all that pleased with 20, I like it hot, and the ditty says nothing about what 40 is, such as Las Vegas' summer temperatures!! :D

A cute and easy way to do the conversions without math is this little ditty:

30 is hot, 20 pleases, 10 is cold, 0 freezes. :)

Of course, I am not all that pleased with 20, I like it hot, and the ditty says nothing about what 40 is, such as Las Vegas' summer temperatures!! :D

If 20 is a bit low then perhaps i should suggest a visit to Rotorua while here in Tauranga. Here you can experience some warmer temperatures by taking some mud baths or waters from the geothermal activity which abounds in this region.

I now remember just how hot it was the last time i was in Palm Springs some years ago. Like walking into a Sauna. I had driven from LA in a cool air-con car and was just not expecting the blast like an oven when i opened the door! WOE, thats was hot.

Regards Ian. [Cool NZ]

• 2 weeks later...

G´day AussieGal,

we will be in Melbourne the day after Christmas in 2007 on the Mercury !!

What would be your advise for a shorex?

We might think of a Hopp on / Hopp off coach. Would you recommend it??

Regards

Peter

Peter,

The day after Christmas Day is our Boxing Day which is a public holiday though the department stores in the city will be open and the big sales will have just begun on that day so you may pick up a bargain.

We have two types of free transport in the city. The first is the circle tram which goes around the outside of the city and drops you off wherever you like. There is a commentary on board and it is a great way to see the sights. Our city is a grid and is one mile by one mile square so very easy to get around.

Secondly, we have a free bus which also takes you to all the sights. This runs every 15 minutes and you pick it up outside the Arts Centre in St. Kilda Road. I am not sure of the other stops.

We have many beautiful gardens, including our Botanical Gardens: We also have some lovely buildings the Shrine of Remberance, Exhibition Buildings which are Heritage Listed and were built for the great Exhibition in the 1890's: two great Art Galleries which are free to the public and lots of lovely walks by the river.

I would suggest you catch the light tram at the dock and go into the city - about a 15 minute tram ride which you must pay for either at the shop by the tram stop or put coins into the machine on the tram - and once in the city, either walk, take either the free bus or tram or go shopping.

We also have a Restaurant tram which serves both lunch and dinner and while you eat you go for a ride around our suburbs. It is a great way to have a nice meal and see more of Melbourne. If you decided on this you would have to book before you arrived as it is very popular. We also have great restaurants and on a normal day, we have wonderful shops but I think quite a few of these will be closed when you arrive.

You really do not need to take an excursion as our city is very close by to the ship and is very easy to get around and see the sights.

Jennie

Peter,

The day after Christmas Day is our Boxing Day which is a public holiday though the department stores in the city will be open and the big sales will have just begun on that day so you may pick up a bargain.

We have two types of free transport in the city. The first is the circle tram which goes around the outside of the city and drops you off wherever you like. There is a commentary on board and it is a great way to see the sights. Our city is a grid and is one mile by one mile square so very easy to get around.

Secondly, we have a free bus which also takes you to all the sights. This runs every 15 minutes and you pick it up outside the Arts Centre in St. Kilda Road. I am not sure of the other stops.

We have many beautiful gardens, including our Botanical Gardens: We also have some lovely buildings the Shrine of Remberance, Exhibition Buildings which are Heritage Listed and were built for the great Exhibition in the 1890's: two great Art Galleries which are free to the public and lots of lovely walks by the river.

I would suggest you catch the light tram at the dock and go into the city - about a 15 minute tram ride which you must pay for either at the shop by the tram stop or put coins into the machine on the tram - and once in the city, either walk, take either the free bus or tram or go shopping.

We also have a Restaurant tram which serves both lunch and dinner and while you eat you go for a ride around our suburbs. It is a great way to have a nice meal and see more of Melbourne. If you decided on this you would have to book before you arrived as it is very popular. We also have great restaurants and on a normal day, we have wonderful shops but I think quite a few of these will be closed when you arrive.

You really do not need to take an excursion as our city is very close by to the ship and is very easy to get around and see the sights.

Jennie

Jennie,

thank you so much!

It´s really great to have you on these boards.

Tomorrow we will have "our" QM2 in the harbour city, which gets a lot of sightseeing tourists to sunny Hamburg.

Peter

Peter,

The other big event in Melbourne on the day you arrive is the first day of the Ashes Cricket Test against England. Our Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) holds nearly 100,00 spectators and I believe that it is already booked out on that day. If you do not understand cricket, the match is played over 5 days unless there is an outright win.

There will be lots of people in and around Melbourne on that day as our Cricket Ground is very close to the city, as is the Rod Laver Tennis Centre where our Australian Open is held every January.

Jennie

Archived