Just how informal is country club casual?

spyhop3

1. Mariner --- Alaska --- August

2. We understand Signatures and Latitudes have their own dress code.

3. We are casual people in our 30's. Live in Arizona and both work in creative fields. Everyone defines luxury in a way that works for them. Totally respect that. For us, we do not associate the quality of the experience with what we or others are wearing.

4. No shorts in public places after 6. What else????:)

5. Non-torn jeans ok? Nice leather ($200) sandals ok?

For dinner or after 6, I suggest you dress as if you were going to a Country Club. The general rules there do not allow blue jeans in the club. Slacks, Polo shirts, Tommy Bahama type shirts, Chinos, are all okay for men. For women, capri's and twin sets or a sheath dress or skirt, slacks or a nice pant suit are good. Nice sandals are okay. White tennis shoes in the evening are probably not allowed. There is always the option to eat en suite if you don't want to dress to the code. We did that one evening on our Voyager cruise we're just returned from when we got in late from a long excursion

During the day, you can wear jeans on board ship. No holes recommended (except at the bottom where your feet can be seen - lol)

It's really as formal, or informal, as you want to make it.

Although you won't likely see all too many jeans and t-shirts, especially in the dining areas, you'll see just as few suits.

The environment is casual/carefree... many men will opt to wear khaki pants with a polo type collared shirt or standard dress shirt or something similar. Nothing over the top formal, but still a little more upscale than a printed sports t-shirt.

Although you're correct in assuming there's a general suggested dress code, it's still YOUR cruise vacation. So wear whatever you'd like and enjoy! (She's an amazing ship!)

I have only cruised RSSC twice but never saw jeans in the dining rooms at dinner. IMO, they would be out of place.

The passengers were very nicely dressed as befitted the onboard ambiance. For informal evenings, most of the men wore sport coat and tie or suit and tie.

As their website describes:

"What to Pack

Attire ranges from country club casual to informal and formal. Country Club casual (resort-style outfits) is appropriate for daytime on board ship or ashore. Evening attire can be Country Club casual, informal or formal. Casual wear includes open neck shirts, slacks and sport outfits. For informal evenings, dresses or pantsuits, coats and ties are suggested. Formal evening-wear is gowns and cocktail dresses, tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Cruises of seven to ten days have one or two formal nights; longer cruises of eleven to fourteen days usually have three formal nights. "

I've not done Alaska, but I thought it was CCC all the way, including the specialty restaurants. Maybe I'm wrong, but you might want to get that confirmed.

I don't like the phrase "country club casual" any more than you probably do. I don't frequent country clubs. No shorts, no blue jeans, a little dressier than my every-day life (jeans, capris, flip flips in summer, jeans t-shirts in winter.) I often wear t-shirts in the dining room on rssc, but I make sure they are nice t-shirts, and I wear them with a simple long skirt or a pair of pants. I also take several silk shawls that I got in Mumbai, with some glitter. I was tempted to take my beautiful, dark mahogany-coloured, $300 splurge-jeans, with the bling on the pockets on my last cruise, but I certainly would take them and wear them on an Alaskan cruise, with my super-bling silk jacket, which I wear out when we go to listen to live music here at home.

Hope this helps.

I just wanted to add that one of the things that appeals to me about RSSC is that, although many of their cruises do not have formal nights (which I personally enjoy), I enjoyed the overall elegance of the ship, dining room and service.

I always found that even on casual nights, pax were better dressed than on mass market ships on semi formal nights.:)

I will be packing dresses, nice skirts, and dressy slacks for my upcoming cruise and dressing for dinner as I would at an upscale restaurant in a major city (or even here in my smaller city).

Everyone here understands the restrictions for evening attire..........no jeans etc. common sense when you are paying $$$$$$ to cruise on an elegant ship. If you don't want to dress accordingly then go on a cruise line that is more liberal with their dress codes. I think it is an insult to the cruise line, its staff, fellow pax and especially the waiters in the dining room not to be dressed nicely............cc casual........nice churchie or fine dining restaurant attire. I love some bling and will put it together with plain linen/coton slacks or capris. I have some Chicos things that mix and match that work great for everything by just changing shoes and jewelry not to mention how great they survive packing etc. Just my two cents.........hope I haven't put my foot in my mouth and get in trouble with the dress code police.

We've seen quite a few fancy jeans worn by women, my lady calls them "Gloria Jeans", on Country Club casual nights. The BUT is that you'll see more lean the opposite way, with women dressing up and men wearing sports jackets, usually without tie. And everything in between. You get to make the choice.

There were some people on a recent Voyager cruise in the MED who on CCC nights wore jeans and t-shirts in Compass Rose. They were asked by RSSC to please use alternate dining facilities in the evening.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering if RSSC had lowered it standards since my last cruise and am happy to hear it has not.

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone here understands the restrictions for evening attire..........no jeans etc. common sense when you are paying $$$$$$ to cruise on an elegant ship. If you don't want to dress accordingly then go on a cruise line that is more liberal with their dress codes. I think it is an insult to the cruise line, its staff, fellow pax and especially the waiters in the dining room not to be dressed nicely............cc casual........nice churchie or fine dining restaurant attire. I love some bling and will put it together with plain linen/coton slacks or capris. I have some Chicos things that mix and match that work great for everything by just changing shoes and jewelry not to mention how great they survive packing etc. Just my two cents.........hope I haven't put my foot in my mouth and get in trouble with the dress code police.

Tika,

Your response was elitist and insulting and everything Titanic made fun of. I am an educated, upstanding member of my commnuty that comes from third generation, mild wealth. I was cuising in Europe on luxury ships when I was a teen. My posting made it very clear that we respect the wishes and taste of others and yet your respose shows no such respect in return. As if your way is the right way? As if my desire to dress casually on my vacation places me on some lower rung than you? That perhaps I am out of my element on such a fine ship? That my $80 jeans and $120 silk shirt are going to ruin your night? Tears, holes and tshirts - of course. Not approproate but I was very clear that was not in question.

And unless you have waited tables lately I find it hard to believe that you have insight into the staff's viewpoints on attire.

I hope we never have to share a lifeboat.

Do you have the courage and character to reply is the real question?

D

Actually, Spyhop3, I did have a conversation on board the Voyager a few weeks ago about CCC dress code. Two gentlemen were in jeans in Compass Rose, the main dining room. They were asked to dine elsewhere. The crew doesn't like when we don't follow the dress codes, because it does make their jobs harder by having to enforce those rules. So in essence, it's disrespectful to the ship and the staff as well as the other guests.

The Country Club Casual dress code is standard for attending any event inside a Country Club's clubhouse. It is an elegant casual, with the first rule of thumb being NO JEANS - dress or otherwise.

Jeans were originally the dress of sailors and cowboys - work clothes - not for a night on the town.

And if you think that I am being a snob about it, my apologies. I love my jeans - I am a baby boomer/hippie and I love to dress up on vacation to a point. I just choose to cruise where I can be elegant in an upscale environment!

I was actually surprised at how many people wore jeans during the day on Voyager recently. I told my husband he was allowed to bring one pair of jeans, for travel and post-cruise, and I did the same, both nice looking jeans, his were black, not blue. But we ended up wearing them during the day quite alot on the ship for casual activities, and on excursions. Our friends did this too.

What I didn't like to see were all the ragged cargo-cut-off-style clam-diggers worn by lots of men on the ship, with ragged t-shirts. During the day, granted, but not very nice.

But I don't like the idea of having to look "churchy", sorry, that sounds like I have to wear a hat with flowers, or dowdy dress or suit (i.e., I haven't been to church since the 60s!)

1. Mariner --- Alaska --- August

2. We understand Signatures and Latitudes have their own dress code.

3. We are casual people in our 30's. Live in Arizona and both work in creative fields. Everyone defines luxury in a way that works for them. Totally respect that. For us, we do not associate the quality of the experience with what we or others are wearing.

4. No shorts in public places after 6. What else????:)

5. Non-torn jeans ok? Nice leather ($200) sandals ok?

Gosh, hope I will not upset you, too. Tika is everything BUT what you have said, from my experience reading her posts. She just gave a reply that did not sit well with you, apparently, and your response was harsh.

I have been to Alaska twice on RSSC, heading here again for the third time in August. First time, in 2000, I brought jeans, and had the nerve to wear them one day onboard on a sea day with a nice wool blazer and loafers (it was a 9 day cruise), and was appalled to see no one else in them! Next time, 2003, I didn't bring them, and they were all over the place during the day on port days. I have been on 17 RSSC cruises. Will not suggest what or what not to wear during the day. Dress as you wish. If other eyes are judging you, what do you care? But at dinner in the CR and other venues, I think you will find that most guests are going to comply with the request of the line that jeans not be worn at dinner. To me, jeans in any form are jeans. I have found, particularly at dinner, that many ladies dress beyond the code on cc nights, and have fun doing so! Others find it fine to wear their khaki's and polo's. Dress code to me is not to be a matter of stress, just a matter of packing correctly.

Jeans are perfectly fine during the day either sea day's or port day's. That being said, I would never think of wearing jeans in the evening. I have no problem with dockers and a nice shirt or chino's on casual evenings. I have Versace jeans that cost more than my dockers and would never wear them in the evenings.

Sorry, I'm the one who mentioned the price of my jeans. I did not mean to sound like a snob--they were a splurge, I usually buy my jeans second-hand at the goodwill fro 10 bucks! It just happens that they are a beautiful dark reddish brown, and really don't look like jeans at all. Certainly dressier than dockers. Don't worry, I'm convinced, I won't wear them to dinner, not even if it was spotlight on country music!

JHP....Thank you for your kind words & undestanding about my post! I am sorry that "D" took my post with such resentful displeasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen.

I am not wasting this boards time with my life's adventures on the seas but believe me I sincerely appreciate standards and respect the dress codes requested on today's cruise lines.

No Worries Mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've not done Alaska, but I thought it was CCC all the way, including the specialty restaurants. Maybe I'm wrong, but you might want to get that confirmed.

I don't like the phrase "country club casual" any more than you probably do. I don't frequent country clubs. No shorts, no blue jeans, a little dressier than my every-day life (jeans, capris, flip flips in summer, jeans t-shirts in winter.) I often wear t-shirts in the dining room on rssc, but I make sure they are nice t-shirts, and I wear them with a simple long skirt or a pair of pants. I also take several silk shawls that I got in Mumbai, with some glitter. I was tempted to take my beautiful, dark mahogany-coloured, $300 splurge-jeans, with the bling on the pockets on my last cruise, but I certainly would take them and wear them on an Alaskan cruise, with my super-bling silk jacket, which I wear out when we go to listen to live music here at home.

Hope this helps.

funny i don't see you as the bling type. (which is a good thing!)

Knowing how others dress on RSSC, I found nothing offensive with Tika's post. I felt she said it quite succinctly. There is nothing wrong with jeans during the day, but just as you wouldn't go to a top restaurant in jeans, (or maybe you would), jeans are not appropriate at night onboard. How hard is it to switch to a pair of khaki's?

Trying to make a point by wearing what you want no matter what is insulting to others. It says, "I don't give a darn about you...only me, and what I want."

Archived