Walk For A Cure

O2BKate

Since HAL started the program benefitting the Susan Komen organization with the 5K Walk For A Cure on board, does anyone know how it is decided which ships and sailings are being chosen to participate?

The HAL website says that they are holding them on "various" sailings until the $500,000 donation has been reached. We are sailing in September and hope they are having it on our Panana Canal cruise. Two of our six are breast cancer survivors and can't go to the local Race For The Cure in Orange County since it is being held on the Sunday before we sail (and we will be busy packing, etc).

Thanks

Cruisin' Kate

Westerdam 09/28/06

Oh, man........

I was really looking forward to this event on our sailing in 11 days! (Oosterdam) I am a survivor, and always like to participate in anything raising money for my Sisters in Survival! Now maybe it won't be held on our sailing. Rats!:(

But maybe it will!:)

Hope so!

Oh, man........

I was really looking forward to this event on our sailing in 11 days! (Oosterdam) I am a survivor, and always like to participate in anything raising money for my Sisters in Survival! Now maybe it won't be held on our sailing. Rats!:(

But maybe it will!:)

Hope so!

I think that you will be in luck. They had the walk on our cruise on Oosterdam which sailed from Seattle on May 27th.

Richard

The "On Deck For The Cure" was held on both of Statendam cruises (june 16 & June 23). Do not know how many participated each week. No mention of how much money was earned the first week, but the second week there was a note in the daly program that they had colletec over $500.

The cost was $15 -of that $3.75 is kept by HAL to pay for the program costs including a t-shirt and wristband.

I was on the Westerdam on the June 11 cruise to Alaska. They had the walk -- I had a sister die of breast cancer and have a niece who is a breast cancer survivor -- so of course I participated as this is the charity I support.

img_ondeck_logo_main.gif

Through it's foundation, Holland America Line is taking the fight against breast cancer to the high seas in an innovative new program. Imagine a 5k fundraising walk on each cruise.

It's called On Deck for the Cure and guests sign up and donate $15 or more to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. For each guest that signs up the Holland America Line Foundation will donate a minimum of $11.25 to the foundation.

"This partnership is the first of its kind in the cruise industry and one of the best ways that Holland America Line and our guests can collectively combine resources to support a great organization and an extremely worthy cause," says Stein Kruse, president and chief executive officer of Holland America Line. On Deck for the Cure video.

On the 13 ships of the Holland America Line fleet, a 5k walk is 9 to 12 laps around the deck. So guests get exercise and a great walk in the fresh sea air while helping others at the same time.

Holland America Line estimates that their guests and crew will raise US$250,000 this year as the walks take place on every cruise in every part of the globe. That's more than 500 On Deck for the Cure walks this year alone.

Archived