Cruising With An ICD (or Pacemaker)

My son will be cruising for the first time in September and has an ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator ). Although he can go through security (and it will go off) under no circumstances can he be screened using a hand-held device, if necessary security will have to hand search him. He does carry a personal identification card from the manufacture regarding his device but because of his young age people have a tendency to be skeptical. We have asked our agent to give ship's security a heads up but wonder if there is something else we should do. If you have cruised with an ICD or Pacemaker please share your experience.

Thank you,

Cindy

We have cruised with pacemakers in the past. We have the card from Metronics stating we can't go though standard security machines. My DH also wears a medical bracelet with the info imprinted. When we get to the security check point, I let them know about the pacemakers, and he then gets hand screened. A pain, but what can you do when it's a way of life now.

Just relax, and go with the flow. The security checkers always question, that's their job. Have a great cruise, and enjoy yourselves.:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I have just returned from my first post pacemaker RCI cruise and the criminal type invasive pat down each time I returned to the ship was so HORRIBLE that I stopped going out shopping after lunch and didn't get off the ship at our last port of call. I had no problem at Tampa airport but will never travel RCI again. Male friends don't seem to be as bothered, but they don't have as many private areas to be poked.

Which ship was this? I suggest that you also complain to Royal Caribbean. We've never experienced this type of a pat down on Royal Caribbean--it is always much less than the TSA type of search. I suspect it may be an overzealous security guard (and I assume a female?)

This "search" getting on the ship at ports is not and should not be as through as a TSA search because you are already a passenger and have a shipboard card ID card. For the most part the search is looking for prohibited items such as alcohol. The TSA has some color of authority under color of law for their invasive searches (although I disagree). However, Royal Caribbean can't make that claim and if they touch "inappropriately", I think they could be subject to lawsuits or perhaps even more. I hope that you do complain, if nothing more to than to bring this to their attention and keep this from happening to others.

Your son should have a card describing the pacemaker...he needs to keep that on him for travel!

Hubby has a pacemaker....not a big deal. Pacemakers CAN go thru the new "whole body" scanners, and that means NO HAND SEARCH! Very nice!

On the ship, once they remember him, they'll just wave him through...they don't like hand-searches, either! All he has to do is tell them about the pacemaker...not a big deal at all!

He should never go thu the security thing. When he gets to the security, he should put any bags thu and tell the agent he has a pacemaker and they will take down the rope and will pat him down...going thu the security thing could harm the pacemaker His "instruction booklet" should have told him this

The invasive pat downs were on Jewel of the Seas. I did complain both onboard and written NO response from RCI,although a female crew member told me the crew is also subjected to a complete pat down. I will never cruise agin with RCI and we (party of 4) are looking into other lines. Any suggestions?

I can see both sides of the "invasive pat down"...I personally am a little nervous about what a passenger or crew member could bring on the ship, even someone who looks like an innocent grandma. I would not seek out a cruise line with more lenient security, but I agree that some personnel need better training to be thorough but sensitive to passenger's feelings.

I know what you mean. Pacers are life savers yet when a child or young adult has one - they are rarely believed. My son was told by a TSA agent and RCI security that the assumption is that there is a bomb in his chest, that cards and doctor's notes can be faked and "if you don't like the pat downs - don't travel." Nice folks you run into sometimes. We just accept that we are going to have to be frisked and put up with it until something better comes along. I hear that the new scanners will be pacer safe and elimiate pat downs for people with ICDs and joint replacements.

we've been through a few cruises and a few security checks. Both with or without wheelchair. We have never had any problem. Most of the time my wife just say pacemaker and she is waived around the screener and get frisket. And the frisking is less intrusive then an airport search.

Cheers, Erex

Grandma Marie, we will be on the Jewel in about a week and are traveling with a family member who uses a pacemaker, although he is also in a wheelchair and cannot walk through security regardless. So he always gets a pat down. I will watch to see how/what they do in regard to him and we will report if this is criminally invasive--i.e., akin to a TSA search.

Could you provide some more specifics as to your situation--how specifically it was invasive and were you searched by a woman (and I assume that a man would search a man)?

I was examined by different women- some were OK but one in particular seemed almost hostile and conducted an internal probing in front of male crew members and anyone else around. FYI The new screeners at some airports are pacemaker friendly and I had no problems at all at Tampa airport.

• 2 months later...

Husband has a pacemaker & also uses a power chair. As we approach the scanner, we just say he has a pacemaker, no problems, they open little fence thing they have, usher him thru, then check him & the chair. We have been on several cruises & never a problem. Same on the ship, just say he has pacemaker & go right thru.

Hubby can't walk at all so he has been patted down for years at airports and cruise ships with no problem at all. He now has an ICD as well so we just tell them they can't use the wand either. We've never had an issue. The only issue we have ever had is when they questioned us on the liquid that was in his urine drain bag. lol Now I just make sure to empty it right before we go thru security.

Archived