Confused? Change of Username

bookworm0911

I just noticed that quite out of nowhere A_Hal_Accountant's username was changed to 'Happyhalcruiser' on the now locked Tipping thread. Same 2 posts, but a new username on them. What's with that? We can all suddenly change our username and become somebody else even on the same previous posts? :confused:

(S)he had posted as a HAL employee with specific knowledge from the inside, but now is just a happy cruiser like the rest of us? Interesting.

Me too. :confused: To my knowledge you cannot change it.

Maybe A_Hal_Accountant asked Walt to change it.

This is pure speculation.

You can change your ID. I did after being gone for a long time. My original name was my actual name and due to security concerns I had it changed.

Blessings!

When you changed your name, Frogs, did all your previous posts reflect the name change?

If you had been posting as "johnsmith", did all of those times it appeared that way change over to 'Frogs' as though you had originally posted as 'frogs'?

HOW did you change it?

I can't find a feature to enable one to do that under User CP.

Rev. Neal:

If I'm not mistaken, one must contact one of the Hosts via email and explain why you wish to change your username. It's not something you can do from your User CP.

Paul

When I changed it I just e-mailed them and asked. Regarding the previous posts I can't answer that since there were several years between postings. I honestly can't remember if I had posted right before I asked for a change or not. I just remember e-mailing them asking for the change and getting a response that it had been done. I did lose my post count.

I just went back to see if I could find my communications with them and can't locate it.

The more I look and think about it, I think I had created 'Frogs' when I couldn't remember my original password and then asked to have 'Frogs' deleted and have my original ID changed to 'Frogs' - I wanted the count if possible for a little more 'credibility'. I'm wondering if they removed the original ID instead of 'changing'. I realized that I didn't keep the count and just decided that it wasn't important and let it go since I really didn't know what I was talking about anyway! ;) I did all of this within a day as I remember. I was just excited that we had booked another cruise!

I do know that I had asked through an e-mail so I would venture to think that it is possible. I was never led to believe that it wasn't possible to do so.

So now that I have added to the confusion instead of clearing it up . . . Sorry folks!

Blessings!

Sometimes the Hosts will require a change if they think the name is misleading. Also they can and sometimes do check where the IP address is to see if really is someone who is different from another poster(you can have more than one CC account). I am not accusing anyone of anything here but I do have my opinion and suspicions.

Exactly. IP's are easy to follow on most ISP's...although some present problems.

In any event, I was sorry to see that (other) thread locked, and it would be nice to get to the bottom of that whole 'tipping issue' that was presented. Was that really a representitive of HAL ...are the (additional) tips we give actually pooled?

Is Tipping really a city in China? :D

Until proven otherwise I will continue to give my extra $$ to those that go above and beyond, in the belief that they get to keep it themselves. At the risk of re-opening another can-of-worms...it would be nice to get some clarity however, as to exactly what transpired in the other thread?

I was on a brand-new radio board that was jumping practically from Day One. You could see the ISP numbers if you wanted and I noticed that 17 of the participants were actually the same person -- the guy who started the board! He was trying to make it look real active, answering his own posts, agreeing and/or disagreeing with himself. I sent him an e-mail, "Gotcha," and he cut it out.

I like the idea of one identity per board, enforced. I also think that cruise line employees should (a) not post company business or (b) be very discreet about it. Your job could be on the line. Also, we don't know if you really work for the company; you could be someone with too much free time after you get home from your shift at McArby's.

What about when there are two people using the same computer? If my DH wanted to post (which he doesn't).......wouldn't he be able to register a different user name than I use though we could/might be using the same computer? The isp would be the same but it would be two different users. According to what 'tomc' posted here, it would look like I was posting with a different name but it would be my DH.

How about Cow Tipping ? :D

I would like an answer too. ;)

OK. I can answer that. "Tipping" is in ROC. "Cow Tipping" is in PRC.

Seriously, a name change can be done only by special request to our Community Manager at community@cruisecritic.com. The change must be for legiotimate reasons.

OTOH, there are some usernames that are prohibited and will be changed when found.

What about when there are two people using the same computer? If my DH wanted to post (which he doesn't).......wouldn't he be able to register a different user name than I use though we could/might be using the same computer? The isp would be the same but it would be two different users. According to what 'tomc' posted here, it would look like I was posting with a different name but it would be my DH.

2 names for that purpose are perfectly fine, and will never be the source of a problem.

But we do monitor the membership process closely to ensure that multiple screennames are not generated for less than honorable purposes.

I'm uncertain about screen names, as well.

We took our first cruise in 2002.

Immediately upon booking, I found this site, joined up on a Roll Call, planned to meet folks, etc.

My profile reflects that I registered here/began posting, much later.

The only thing that I can imagine is that I switched to FIREFOX as a browser? Or perhaps my old identity was "Nanette".

There was nothing misleading about my 2 identities, and I'm not even certain how it happened.:confused:

Archived