Stingray encounter question

DEBBIE 275

I have placed this on the Grand Cayman board , thought I would post here too..................I just read this on the Carnival site for ""PEARL ISLAND STINGRAY ENCOUNTER" in Nassau , Bahamas...(Please be aware due to the very sensitive nature of the stingrays, absolutely NO suntan lotion or jewelry can be worn in the water during this excursion. ) Is this true about the jewelry??I just have never heard this before and I have not had my wedding rings off for 20 years? Is this just for Nassau or is this the way it is at Grand Cayman too? Thanks for all who can help out?

Yes, it is true, when we were on the stingray excursion in Grand Cayman, we were told to take all jewelry off because they are attracted to the shiny objects. One women had a bright bathing suit on with sequines and the stingrays were all over her.

I knew of this ahead of time so i left my toe rings, wedding ring and earrings in the ships safe.

We did the stingray tour in GC. We were not aware that you had to take off jewelry or not wear sunscreen:confused: I wore my wedding ring. And we all had sunscreen on. We didn't have any problems. But I did have alot of stingrays swimming around me:p It was a blast!

We will be doing the stingray thing when we are in GC next January. I have one question thats always in the back of my mind...can the stingrays sting you? :eek:

Yes they can. Just don't step on one. They will wrap their stinger around you. They tell you to shuffle your feet in the sand as not to step on them.

They will burrow their way under the sand to hide from sharks.

But I highly dought they will be hiding in the sand when you are there. They will be swimming all over to eat the squid that you feed them.

We were told not to wear jewelery or suntan lotion. It is a protected area. One word of caution. The stingrays are not supposed to bite but you have to be very careful. You must hold youe palm out flat with the squid on it. If you flex your fingers, you can get bit like me and it does hurt. Their teeth are blunt but can tear tissue. They're like little Hoover Vacuum Cleaners and can suck your fingers inside their mouths. It was alot of fun, though.

We were told not to wear jewelery or suntan lotion. It is a protected area. One word of caution. The stingrays are not supposed to bite but you have to be very careful. You must hold youe palm out flat with the squid on it. If you flex your fingers, you can get bit like me and it does hurt. Their teeth are blunt but can tear tissue. They're like little Hoover Vacuum Cleaners and can suck your fingers inside their mouths. It was alot of fun, though.

I agree with everything you say except it does not hurt. It is more of a surprise than anything else.

StingrayCity1.jpg

StingrayCity2.jpg

StingrayCity3.jpg

StingrayCity4.jpg

StingrayCity5.jpg

My 2 cents. Stingray City is cruel treatment to the stingrays. The tour guides overfeed the rays and they become dependant on humans. Lifting rays out of the water while they gasp for air?? I would not like to be held underwater for a long period of time. Think about it.:confused:

Oh great! Now I have to worry about their stingers AND their teeth! Thinkin' about staying on the boat now...:eek:

don't be afraid. They won't hurt you. Just listen to your tour guide and you will be fine. It's a great experience to be able to feed and touch them.

Oh great! Now I have to worry about their stingers AND their teeth! Thinkin' about staying on the boat now...:eek:

Don't worry about teeth, if they have them they don't use them to bite people with. And I have yet to hear of anyone being "stung" by a stingray at stingray city. You will be told to shuffle your feet. You can also just swim. Relax, it is a very very cool experience. Nothing should worry you.

Not sure what the rules are at Pearl Island, but in most places, guides wear shiny things to attract fish.

Stingrays do not have "teeth", but they are hoovers and could leave a hickey. Don't squeeze squid juice anywhere you don't want them to go. :eek:

If you hold the squid wrong (exposed digits) and try to yank your fingers back you might actually manage to slightly break the skin. They aren't trying to eat you, just trying inhale free food.

At Pearl Island, I believe they are penned in, but at GC, they are free to come and go at will.

Oil free sunscreen should be ok, but perhaps they are trying to sell you theirs, instead. ;)

One word of caution. The stingrays are not supposed to bite but you have to be very careful. You must hold youe palm out flat with the squid on it. If you flex your fingers, you can get bit like me and it does hurt. Their teeth are blunt but can tear tissue. They're like little Hoover Vacuum Cleaners and can suck your fingers inside their mouths. It was alot of fun, though.

We were told on Grand Cayman to hold the squid loosely in a clenched fist with your thumb tucked under your index finger so that they didn't try to suck your thumb in their mouths.

They don't sting you, they "whip" you with their tails and they are razor sharp. I got a cut on my leg from one going by me that turned too sharp. It wasn't a big cut but I felt it and it "stung" from the salt water.

They reminded me of big kittens the way they rub up against you. One thing not to miss is when they come up above the water line, look at their eyes. It's wild. http://community.webshots.com/photo/64463044/1064464655030186251zHVtVa

I love Stingray City. I did my first open water dive there. While I am normally against the feeding of wild animals to not feed them at this point would be incredibly cruel and the educational experience and bonding and appreciation of the sea that people bring home and cherish forever are true gifts to all members of this world we live in.

To me Stingray City was a transformative experience in my life. I'll be there again a week from Sunday.

I have placed this on the Grand Cayman board , thought I would post here too..................I just read this on the Carnival site for ""PEARL ISLAND STINGRAY ENCOUNTER" in Nassau , Bahamas...(Please be aware due to the very sensitive nature of the stingrays, absolutely NO suntan lotion or jewelry can be worn in the water during this excursion. ) Is this true about the jewelry??I just have never heard this before and I have not had my wedding rings off for 20 years? Is this just for Nassau or is this the way it is at Grand Cayman too? Thanks for all who can help out?

on every snorkel excursion we've taken we have always been advised not to wear a lot of gold jewelry as it attracts the larger fish.. i've kept my wedding band on but taken off gold chains or bracelets and never had any problems.. we saw barracuda and sharks and they kept their distance, or rather I kept mine.. lol.. don't miss the experience,, its delightful..

Archived