higher gratuities on suites...

On some lines the difference is because the suite includes a butler so there is one more person servicing the suite. On other lines the difference is that in addition to a room steward there is also an assistant room steward. Those are examples of why the recommend tips may be higher on a suite than a regular cabin.

Keith

I've been in the Owner's Suite, Royal Suite and Royal Family Suites on RCCI and never paid higher gratuities. If you have a butler, your tips will be higher because you have an additional person to tip, and sometimes the room steward/stewardess has an assistant that needs to be included in tipping, but the standard daily amount per person is the same.

RCI...was told "suggested" daily gratuities is $9.25 per person/day and $12.00 per person per day for any suites

Honestly? That seems pretty darned reasonable to me. Your room steward will have more space to clean, so they will be spending more time serving you.

One way I justify the gratuities is to think about what I personally would spend on tips if we were in a hotel - for example

- $2 per day for the maid

- $2 for a $10 breakfast

- $3 for a $12 lunch

- $8 for a $50 dinner

It really isn't a lot - and I have always found that the service is very good.

Just want to add that Kitty9 has it right and that has been my experience.

As I mentoned the only difference we've experience in suites is that some suites have butlers and if so that's an additional gratuity. And, in a few cases we've also had an assistant steward and it was recommended that in suites where there was also an assistant to leave a gratuity and they had a recommendation on that.

But, other than that the size of the suite is not a factor on cruises that we've been on in terms of tipping.

Keith

On Royal Caribbean, in GS suites or higher, they have a higher suggested gratuity for your stateroom attendant. Partially because the cabin is larger and there is more work, but probably because they have other people helping them. In addition, ours brought us treats and the like throughout the week.

Cabin stewards for suites are the elite and should be rewarded as such. They started out at the bottom and like cream, they rose to the top. If you've been in a regular cabin before and then a suite, you will definitely notice the difference in service. Yes, your basic needs will be met (beds made, clean towels, etc), but the extras are true pampering. Worth the extra $$$.

Archived