Spirit Excursions Questions

Diesel Dog

My family, me, wife and 2 boys ages 14 & 15 will be sailing 8/5 on 8 day Spirit Cruise. For now I have very general questions, and will probably inquire further after I read some responses.

In each port, Tortola, St. Thomas and Bermuda is it worth it to take the excursions? We want to go to the beaches as well as snorkel. Should we buy excursions, or take taxi on our own? Which snorkel excursions are very good? Do they get croweded, for instance, at Virgin Gorda Baths?

Some input would be greatly appreciated, detailed or not. Thank you.

Diesel Dog

Hi, Diesel!

I can't answer your questions, but we're on the same cruise with you! (Myself, hubbie, daughter 23 & son 20). None of the excursions appealed to us (was it just me or do they all look the same? Maybe after several cruises it starts to blend together?) Anyway, we're not going to pre-book any, which we normally do, just get off the ship & wing it.

There's a roll call for this sailing, so you can see a few others on board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=263280

MY family and I always just wing it and always had a great time. We just tell the taxi what we are looking for and they know exactly where to take us. Have a great time. We will be on the Spirit next week.

Hello,

Im going on the Spirit Sept 30 and have been doing a lot of research on it....

In Bermuda you can take a bus to most places. I heard you can but and all day pass and get on and off and you choose. You can get to Horseshoe Bay if you want to go to the beach. Heard its very nice and close to the ship.

In St Thomas you can check out http://sunnylistontours.com/ His tours are $25pp and take you around the island. Sounds like the kind of thing your looking for. He will pick you all up right from the pier. Hes gotten some good reviews on these website.

In St Thomas, you could also go to coral world. I heard its about $9pp each way for a cab. And you can check their website for admission prices. Coki beach is right near it so after your done there you can hop over to the it.

As for Tortola, I havent found anything yet. Let me know if you find anything good. I wanted to do the bathes with NCL but Im tight for money.

Hope this helps.

We sailed on a 10-day Spirit cruise in February and found it to be not only a beautiful island, but very reasonable to do excursions on your own. We did an island tour for about $15 per person that included an hour stop at Cane Garden Beach.

As for the baths, our ship sailed at 1pm so we didn't have enough time to make it there, but it's supposed to be beautiful.

Have a great time on the Spirit~

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned yesterday from St Thomas,Tortola and Bermuda on NCL's Spirit. We took the ships "Dive In" snorkel tour to the Bath's in Virgin Gorda. We left the ship about 8:15 0r so and we were back on board around noon, leaving enough time to get into Rhode Town (sorry for the spelling) The excursion was 49 dollars each. We had about 2 and a half hours for snorkeling and touring the Baths. It was the best snorkeling of the trip and the Baths were awesome. You probably can get a private tour cheaper though. My only advice, get to Virgin Gorda early...by 11:00 it was mobbed! (That's when many of the private tour boats arrived) That was the good thing about going with NCL, they got you there before the crowds. Highly recommend getting there. Wouldn't miss this for the world.

In St Thomas, we took a taxi for 9 dollars each way to Megan's Bay. If you go after 4:30 it's a lot less crowded and you don't pay the additional three dollars admission. You can get a taxi right at the Spirit dock and you can pre arrange for the same one to pick you up by 7pm. Loved the late afternoon there. Had the place practically to ourselves! And if you're kind to the driver, he'll stop along the way at the overlooks for some spectacular photo ops.

Happy cruising!

HI we were on the same cruise as tc3 and the only excursion we took was to the Baths which was a blast. You have to get there early before the onslaught of tourists hitting the beach. I checked out other availablity without using NCL and the prices were close to what they charged. We went to St. John when we docked in St. Thomas. What you might want to do is check to see how many cruise ships are docking the same day as NCL. We found out that there were three other ships that day so we took the ferry over to St. John and it was great. In Bermuda we took the bus (full day pass is $12.50 per person) to Elbow Beach which has a public beach and not many people were there. The pass is good for the entire island if you want to shop in Hamilton later on. Good deal.

Archived