Princess upgrades

HMSDingy

I know that this question has been probaby asked a 1000 times but as my cruise date gets closer I get more and more anxious. How possible is it to get an upgrade? This will be our second sailing with Princess. Would this make our chances greater? Or is it a crap shoot. We have an obstructed on the Emerald deck. Would a possible upgrade be for the same type cabin or better?

THE WAIT IS KILLING ME....ARRRGGGHHH!

It's a crap shoot. Most "upgrades" are to a similar cabin within the same general configuration, just in a more desirable location, and desirable is in Princess' view, not necessarily the passenger's. Bumps to the next configuration, i.e. oceanview to balcony, are less frequent and are done as a matter of necessity to sort out bookings. Like craps, ya just gotta be lucky.

I know that this question has been probaby asked a 1000 times but as my cruise date gets closer I get more and more anxious. How possible is it to get an upgrade? This will be our second sailing with Princess. Would this make our chances greater? Or is it a crap shoot. We have an obstructed on the Emerald deck. Would a possible upgrade be for the same type cabin or better?

Take deep breath. The highest probability is for the same type (outside) cabin of a higher category (perhaps no obstruction). The chances?? Nobody had the magic formula, and it makes no rhyme or reason as to being a past passenger, who you book with or how long ago you booked. Its all random.

We have 14 Princess sailings and have never been "upgraded". However, a couple that we invited to go with us last year, ( their first cruise on Princess ) were up graded from outside to a balcony. Still trying to figure that one out.

16 Princess cruises for us. We were upgraded on our very first Princess cruise from an outside to a mini suite (there were no balcony cabins on this old ship). Since then, only once when we booked an AE guarantee we were upgraded to an AA, which is the same type of cabin just in a different location on the ship so it actually wasn't what I considered a true upgrade.

With the millions of passengers that sail, the percentage for a true upgrade really is lower than most realize. :eek: Best way to handle it is to NOT COUNT ON IT, then if for some really strange reason it happens, you can be overjoyed!

It seems to me that when true upgrades do happen, they get a lot of publicity here on these boards -- and I'm sure that I would be quick to spread my good news also !! But it also seems that the percentage is quite low, but some cruisers get the impression that they are common, and then are disappointed when they DON'T get one. The advice here is always to pick a cabin you'll be happy with, and don;t count on being upgraded.

We have an obstructed on the Emerald deck.

We were upgraded on our first RCL cruise and our first Princess Cruise. Have no idea why. If you don't get an upgrade the obstructed view cabin is not that bad.

If the ship is sold out, your chances are very slim. I've received several "upgrades" but they were just the same cabin in a different location. I don't always agree with what constitutes a better location, particularly since I don't care whether I'm in the middle of the ship or not. I certainly wouldn't pay more to be in the middle.

As always, the best advice I can offer is that if location or a cabin is important to you, book it and have your TA mark your booking "No upgrade."

We were upgraded on our first RCL cruise and our first Princess Cruise. Have no idea why. If you don't get an upgrade the obstructed view cabin is not that bad.

Actually having checked on the Princess website deck plans, our cabin maybe obstructed but as it looks I get half of a lifeboat. Which is alot better than the whole lifeboat. The cabin is in the afterend of the ship and my worry is that an upgrade might put it midships but with the whole lifeboat blocking the window. Let's hope the Princess gods upgrade us to an oceanview or better still....:D a balcony!!!

Archived