stupid question about birth cert.

You will be absolutely fine without a marriage certificate as long as your reservation name matches your drivers license and you have a certified BC.

Sorry to disagree, but that's not strictly true. On our cruise on Sovereign out of Port Canaveral in September of 2005, my wife WAS asked to produce her marriage license at check in (we've been married for 10 years). Fortunately, our TA had told us to bring it with us. I don't know if they would have let it slide if she didn't have it, but she was most definitely asked to produce it.

Sorry to disagree, but that's not strictly true. On our cruise on Sovereign out of Port Canaveral in September of 2005, my wife WAS asked to produce her marriage license at check in (we've been married for 10 years). Fortunately, our TA had told us to bring it with us. I don't know if they would have let it slide if she didn't have it, but she was most definitely asked to produce it.

I agree!

We did Sovereign twice and BOTH times I was asked for a copy of my marriage license. The first time was our honeymoon cruise so I figured it was because of the name change. The 2nd time on our anniversary cruise, I was asked for it again.

I always carry my ML with my birth certificate and travel docs just in case.

was this because your reservation name was different than your drivers license? that is the only time I had needed it.. I do travel with it just in case..but only needed it on the honeymoon cruise because as I sated my DL was not the same as the reservation name... They do such weird stuff all the time... never consistent, but I do know I needed it for Mariner... and never thereafter, even though I do bring it.

Thanks for the response

I was asked for mine on the Mariner for our honeymoon cruise because the reservation was booked several months in advance in my maiden name, and we went on the honeymoon right after the wedding, therefore not possible to get a new DL license that fast. I did have to show validation of my new name because reservation and drivers license were not a match.

I'm assuming you meant you made the reservation in your married name?

I'm just curious because I booked my honeymoon cruise in my maiden name because I knew I wouldn't have time to change the drivers license or passport to my married name before the cruise.

I'm assuming you meant you made the reservation in your married name?

I'm just curious because I booked my honeymoon cruise in my maiden name because I knew I wouldn't have time to change the drivers license or passport to my married name before the cruise.

No I said that all wrong. because I recall now what the problem was... forgive me for the dementia episode.:eek:.(and too many distractions going on at the moment) Please let me clarify this.... I booked in maiden name and I recall that I DID get my DL changed shortly after the wedding, (cruise was about 2 weeks after wedding) and because I was not thinking about needing the license to match the booking name, I was only thinking about changing license for other reasons that I had to do it , therefore I needed the marriage license..

Sorry for the confusion.. I know I made this way too complicated and dio d not mean too.. :eek:

Still it stands that if you booked in maiden name and your DL matches, you should be fine.. just take copy just in case, (I was glad I did) :)

I've never even heard of taking a marriage license. Our first cruise was taken right after we were married and I was never told nor ever asked for a marriage license. I am not disputing what other's have said, but for all of our cruises I was never asked.

Why wouldn't rccl make people more aware that this may be a document you need?

I shudder at the thought if I was ever asked to provide it!

Good luck and happy sailing.

Chris N.

If you booked the cruise with your maiden name and you driver's license was in your maiden name, then you didn't need the marriage certificate, however, if the cruise was booked in your married name and your birth certificate was in your maiden name, then you need to show proof of your name (hence, the marriage license). Does that make sense?

Thanks for all your input. Luckily we live in the state we were married and dh works down the street from city hall. So he's getting a copy of marriage license just in case! Next time I'm getting a passport (like my husband told me to do months ago! I hate when he's right!)

Thanks again .. 5 days to go!

Deb

Hello Gang!:D

Ive read every post and it seems that it just depends on what City and Port you Cruise out of and what your Cruise lines require:confused: The Birth Certificate is to see if you are a US Citizen and the DL is to make sure as well as another proof of Citizenship!;) Thats all I have ever had to take and like others have sated they have never been asked for theirs and others have!Like Deb said Do as I did and shes doing, Get that Passport,and do you know something else!All I needed was my DL and Birth Certificate for the Passport!;) :D Anyway those who think they need it carry it,those who dont then dont carry it! And I hope every one of you and all my felow Cruisemates Have the best cruises of their life,enjoy each other and Love one another for we may not have another cruise under our belt! Lets Go Cruising! Yeha!

A few months ago I had called RCCL on this issue. They encourage you o bring your marriage certificate along with the BC and DL. I have heard on this thread and others that several posters weren't asked for the marriage cert. If you are traveling after 12/31/06 you need to get a passport.

What everyone needs to realize is that these regulations aren't put in place by the individual ports or cruise lines. These are in response to Federal law. These are supposed to be universally enforced, obviously they aren't. Don't take a chance, because the last thing you want is to be stranded at the pier because you weren't in compliance. Just because you haven't been asked for a marriage certificate 10 times prior doesn't mean you won't be asked on that 11th time...don't blame the cruiseline or individual employee if it happens to you--you gambled and lost. Be prepared...Better safe than sorry, right?

Get a passport, its makes things so much easier.

Lastly a driver's license is never a proof of citizenship...you can be a legal permanent resident alien of the US and have a drivers license.

Well I come across this kind of thing at my place of employment everyday and so I told my mother last yr that she would need to probably show her Marriage Certificate (which she does not have anymore) in order to board the cruise as her maiden name is of course on her BC and her married name is on her DL. Well she kept telling me she's never had to provide her MC at anytime so she didn't think Carnival would ask. Well she was right, when we got to the counter, the reps said all they needed were her BC and DL which they would use to match the birthdates and she would be fine.

It just seems logical to show a MC to match the name changes, in my opinion, but I guess certain places, like Carnival, are ok with just a BC and DL.

Of course after 12/31 all of this won't matter now will it. ;)

Wow, ok, I'm a little more confused now then I was when I first posted. I guess my DL and bc should be enough. Are there any women out there who've been asked to show their marriage license?

Maybe I should get it(order it, since I don't know where it is right now) before Friday? Is that possible?

Ugh,

Deb

Hey Deb!

Which City and cruise line are you going on? RCCL doesnt ever ask for a Marriage License! All they want is your BC and DL if no DL show your SS Card!

Me and My DW have been cruising for 7 Years with not one request for a Marriage License! We have applied for our Passports and all we needed was our Birth Certificates and Drivers LIcense so go figure!

Hey Deb!

Which City and cruise line are you going on? RCCL doesnt ever ask for a Marriage License! All they want is your BC and DL if no DL show your SS Card!

Me and My DW have been cruising for 7 Years with not one request for a Marriage License! We have applied for our Passports and all we needed was our Birth Certificates and Drivers LIcense so go figure!

Just FYI:

A social security card IS NOT acceptable proof of ID.. The rccl website says so specifically as do all the cruise docs... If you do NOT have a DL you have to have a state issued ID card in place of a DL... I do not know how to insert the link, but it is indicated there.. Just passing on info.. :)

Well I was wondering about this also, so I just called RCCL and they said to bring certified copy of birth certificate, Picture Id and If these 2 documents names don't match, then YES you are required to bring along the marriage license to show the name change. Hope this helps.

Well I was wondering about this also, so I just called RCCL and they said to bring certified copy of birth certificate, Picture Id and If these 2 documents names don't match, then YES you are required to bring along the marriage license to show the name change. Hope this helps.

Interesting that we get all different Statements from RCCL about Marriage License, I just called them and they said they do not Require Marriage License for any Reasons for Proof Of Citizenship! Geez go Figure! I sure hope my Passport gets here before Me and My Dw goes! Id hate to bring a Briefcase full of Personal Documents! Everyone know what I mean!? Big Grin!

then sorry. It depends on how you state your question when calling cruise company's because they don't really understand what it is your asking, this is why people are getting different answers. I am divorced and still obtain my married name. It is on my DL and that is the name on my travel docs, however my BC has my maiden name. Cruise company's, Travel Agents and airport workers always told me to carry my marriage Lic. with me because name didn't match. I have never been asked to show it but it ain't that heavy to carry with me.

Interesting that we get all different Statements from RCCL about Marriage License, I just called them and they said they do not Require Marriage License for any Reasons for Proof Of Citizenship! Geez go Figure! I sure hope my Passport gets here before Me and My Dw goes! Id hate to bring a Briefcase full of Personal Documents! Everyone know what I mean!? Big Grin!

Again it is not the individual cruise line that sets this policy, it is US Federal law. Cruiselines can't pick and choose what they want to enforce because if they are caught by the Gov't fines and penalties can be very heavy.

You want straight answers visit the CBP.gov website.

The Q&A page is at....

http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Answer ID # 713 addresses this issue directly and plainly.

Again it is not the individual cruise line that sets this policy, it is US Federal law. Cruiselines can't pick and choose what they want to enforce because if they are caught by the Gov't fines and penalties can be very heavy.

You want straight answers visit the CBP.gov website.

The Q&A page is at....

http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Answer ID # 713 addresses this issue directly and plainly.

Passport will solve all this! What a lot of people have been saying is that they have been asked for Marriage Licenses By the Cruise Lines! I havent ever had that problem,I know what the Government Requires, I was just making a Statement not Facts! Sorry you misinterpeted it! Not intended to be a rude response! Just a Statement!

Thanks for your Info to Others!

I have been to Mexico 3 times for vacations that were not cruises, Returning from Cancun I was asked for my Marriage Cert. I always carried it even when it may have not been nececessary. Depending on the mood of the customs agent of the day you may or may not ever need it. If you don't have a passport I would make sure to carry the Marriage Cert with your other docs just in case.

Sonya

Hello, if we get off the ship in Ensenada, Mexico would we need to carry our birth certificates and marriage license with us or should we leave them on the ship. I wouldn't want anything to happen to them, but would like to take them if we need to. In addition I am going to get my license in my married name/official name which is first middle maiden married. Do you think that this would help since my maiden name would be included? Does this make sense. I hope I didn't ramble too much. :rolleyes: Thanks for any help.:)

Tory, you really shouldn't post something you do not know. You cannot change your birth certificate with your married name.

In Ontario, if you legally change your name to your spouses, you can recieve a replacement birth certificate with your married name on it (as per: http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/changename_electing.htm)

"Please be aware that if you elect to legally change your name and were born in Ontario, this type of name change will result in changing your surname on your birth certificate (it will appear as if you were born with your married name). If you wish to revert back to your previous name at any time, you will need to contact the Office of the Registrar General."

Maybe not in your jurisdiction though.

Archived