RCI and Dress Code

Just returned from a cruise around the Greek Islands and Turkey on Splendour. It is 3 years since I cruised with RCI and the one thing that I really noticed was the change in the dress policy. I would say that at least 30% of guests at dinner in the main restaurant were dressed "very informally". By this, I mean jeans, 3/4 length pants on men, T shirts and even shorts.

Now I am all in favour of informal crusing but not to this extent.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this trend.

By the way, the cruise was still excellent !!

defrombc

We have not noticed shorts in the dining room but I do agree that dress codes are not what they used to be.

Also, I would like to hear more about your cruise on the Splendour, we're booked next year sailing to the Greek Isles.

Cherrin

defrombc

We have not noticed shorts in the dining room but I do agree that dress codes are not what they used to be.

Also, I would like to hear more about your cruise on the Splendour, we're booked next year sailing to the Greek Isles.

Cherrin

Cherrin,

Please send me an Email to dearl@cressetconsulting.com and I will be more than happy to answer all of your questions.

Regards,

david

Now I am all in favour of informal crusing but not to this extent.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this trend.

Nope, this is the first it has been mentioned around here.....;)

David, I'm sure other members would be interested to learn more about your cruise. Why not write a review and post it either here or on the Europe port of call board?

We encourage our members to share information on the boards rather than via private e-mail so that everyone can benefit from your experience.

Sorry Karen . Will do !

I just wanted to give my Email incase there were specific questions that I forgot to cover in a review.

Can you please tell me which section to post the review in ?

Thanks

we are among those who are delighted to see it is less rigorous; the cruise lines have learned that if they want to attract a younger clientele and they need to do that to stay economically viable, they have to loosen up and go with the tide. the younger generation isn't going out to buy tuxes and gowns, but suits and cocktail dresses, yes. I hope we never see shorts and/or tshirts in the dining rooms for dinner. but cruise lines like ncl and now princess with their "open dine-around" options are leading the way to more casual attire and options. when I have talked to maitre d's or hotel managers about lack of enforcement the attitude seems to be that unless it is way out of line, making an issue of it is a sure way to loose what could be a "repeater" next time. there are so many great things about cruising, this issue is a non-starter.

we are among those who are delighted to see it is less rigorous; the cruise lines have learned that if they want to attract a younger clientele and they need to do that to stay economically viable, they have to loosen up and go with the tide. the younger generation isn't going out to buy tuxes and gowns, but suits and cocktail dresses, yes. I hope we never see shorts and/or tshirts in the dining rooms for dinner. but cruise lines like ncl and now princess with their "open dine-around" options are leading the way to more casual attire and options. when I have talked to maitre d's or hotel managers about lack of enforcement the attitude seems to be that unless it is way out of line, making an issue of it is a sure way to loose what could be a "repeater" next time. there are so many great things about cruising, this issue is a non-starter.

I never said it was an issue. It was an observation. However I am interested to see that Managers and Maitre d's are more interested in profits than maintaining standards !

leoandhugh...Sorry, but this is incorrect info. Princess still has "formal" nights and the same attire is expected in all diningrooms and specialty restaurants on "formal" nights.

...but cruise lines like princess with their "open dine-around" options are leading the way to more casual attire and options.

And on the first "casual night" my husband asked the concierge just what casual meant. She said, "Oh you are fine in what you are wearing." He was wearing a t-shirt and his hiking (zip off) pants. I was shocked! I teased her and told her not to put such ideas in his head, then she made a joke and said she called the maitre'd who said that all husbands had to dress according to their wives' wishes.

David, no need to be sorry. I just like to see everyone share. :)

The most appropriate place for a review would be the Europe Port of Call board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19). I would then submit it to the review section for your ship (click here).

Thanks in advance!

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

I cruised on Voyager last year. I was traveling with a few families that had never cruised before. I told them that they had to dress for dinner - no shorts etc. By the second night they thought I was nuts. At least 20% of the dining room was in shorts and many t-shirts and even baseball caps. I never saw this on Celebrity, Hal or Princess.

I just cruised Empress last month. Before this, I hadn't cruise RCCL since 1998. I couldn't believe how informal it had become either! On our cruise I saw several of those sweat suit sets, shorts, etc in the main dining room. I felt a little out of place outside the dining room on the formal night because a lot of people didn't dress up. When I cruise RCCL in the 90s you still had to wear slacks, skirt, or dress in the evening.

Guest cvbart
I never said it was an issue. It was an observation. However I am interested to see that Managers and Maitre d's are more interested in profits than maintaining standards !

If they want to keep their jobs they better care about profit.

cvbart that was my point entirely; bottom line comes first if they want to keep their jobs; and that position of not rigid enforcement isn't starting at their level you can bet. as these threads have said ad nauseum, the dress codes are "suggested", not mandatory and fortunately most pax don't push the envelope too far. it is too bad that some just don't get it - the enforcers!:mad:

Dress code? We don't need no stinking dress code.

We started sailing with RCI in 2002 and the "dress code," which has always just been a suggestion, was very lax then. Essentially it was come as you are. Now, more people dressed up and less dressed down but, as it was our first cruise and we didn't have a lot of money, we asked and were told, no shorts, no T-shirts and no bare feet. The only thing that seems to have changed is the no shorts.

DH wears 3/4 length pants all the time at home - he thinks they are great as an alternative to shorts. He would never wear shorts to go say to the supermarket but he feels quite comfortable in his 3/4s.

We are in the UK as well :D

Archived