Bringing Alcohol On-board

il•le•gal \(")il-"(l)È-gl\ adjective

: contrary to the laws or rules : UNLAWFUL

il•le•gal•i•ty \'il-i-"gal-t-È\ noun

il•le•gal•ly \(")il-"(l)È-g-lÈ\ adverb

© 1996 by Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

smug•gle\"smg-l\ verb smug•gled; smug•gling \-(-)li¾\

1 : to export or import secretly and unlawfully smuggle jewels, alcohol, money etc.

© 1996 by Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Then i guess smuggling isnt the correct term for bringing alcohol onboard because its certainly not against the law.

We tried clear rum in a water bottle. It didn't work. That was the first thing they looked at when we went through security. The screener grabbed it from my backpack bottle holder and gave it a shake. She knew right away it wasnt water as the bubbles in liquor are different from water. She just kept our bottle and gave us a little grief about smuggling. But, no worries. I've seen them take liquor away but never saw anyone arrested for legal substances.

We tried clear rum in a water bottle. It didn't work. That was the first thing they looked at when we went through security. The screener grabbed it from my backpack bottle holder and gave it a shake. She knew right away it wasnt water as the bubbles in liquor are different from water. She just kept our bottle and gave us a little grief about smuggling. But, no worries. I've seen them take liquor away but never saw anyone arrested for legal substances.

Got to put it in checked lugagge; never had a problem.

that's why you never try to carry on alcohol, no matter what type of bottle it is "disguised" :cool: in.

always pack it securely in your checked luggage! :D

This is a new excursion that they are marketing specifically to those who smuggle alcohol...

they toss a bottle of jack daniels, a 2 liter of coke, and a bag of ice into the firey pit and watch us go......

:p

Ok now i KNOW im there...condemn me condemn me pleeeaaase ;)

Uh............Jean.................I hope you can put up with Ketel One martinis.............cause that what we have. if you want Grey Goose, we need to talk. Grey Goose is fine in the bars.......but in our bar.......well, anyway............just a heads up, incase you need to to empty out one of those airplane sampler bottles!:D

Rick

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D

icon1.gifIt's under "Life Onboard"

Quote:

Originally Posted by time4u2go

Sure. It's right here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...Fg:10ktdmpjo#1

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I see it now. This may be what I had in mind that I had seen before. You are correct, time4u2go. There is a rule, albeit somewhat difficult to find. Here it is.

Can I bring my own liquor onboard?

We apologize for any inconvenience but due to our regulatory and licensing requirements guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases.

This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities.

end quote (emphasis added)

Now the question becomes "Which ships or itineraries are those for which this policy does not apply?" What can the purpose of this last paragraph possibly be? Surely there are no local laws, customs, or requirements which would force Royal Caribbean to allow alcoholic beverages to be carried on board. Regarding the second sentence, it must be clear that the cruise line cannot be held responsible for actions by local authorities.

So what are they telling us? It appears they are saying "You can't do this, but maybe you can." Put another way "This is sometimes our rule, but sometimes not. We may tell you when the rule is in force, but we may not."

So have I agreed to abide by an open ended, ambiguous rule which can be altered at will by Royal Caribbean? I think not.

(end)

I brought this over from another thread. I think it is applicable to this one also. It would be good if RCCL stated just what their "regulatory and licensing requirements" are. But then those requirements may not apply everywhere. So where do they and where don't they apply?

Bob:confused:

Great point, Bob. RC tries to make the policy perfectly clear - but then its not.

Problem is, just reading this thread has driven me to drinking, so I won't have any left to sneak on.

lol at least you dont have to worry someone lecturing you bout sneakin it on now.:D

I am not sure if you are serious or joking. Sept. 15 will be our first time on RC. We have sailed on other cruise lines and have taken items on board. If they were found the ship confiscated and we could reclaim at the end of the cruise. The one exception was wine that was not on their wine list. We paid the corkage charge. Should I not attempt to take anything on board RC. What about soda?

I am not sure if you are serious or joking. Sept. 15 will be our first time on RC. We have sailed on other cruise lines and have taken items on board. If they were found the ship confiscated and we could reclaim at the end of the cruise. The one exception was wine that was not on their wine list. We paid the corkage charge. Should I not attempt to take anything on board RC. What about soda?

LA is one port that consistently enforces the "no booze brought on board" rule. We have seen all kinds of wine, in addition to hard liquor, at the table. We don't stick around long enough to see if anybody was checking the wine list - it appeared that they were just taking everything.

As for water & soda, go ahead and bring it onboard. We do it all the time and they sometimes check to make sure it's not alcohol but still allow it onboard.

Have a wonderful cruise and welcome to Royal Caribbean!

Never a problem in checked bags. We disburse several in each bag we take. Buy liquor in the plastic flask size and pack in ziplock bag, just in case since it will be in with your clothes. We put mixers (from glass bottles) in travel flasks you can buy at liquor store and packed same as liquor. Never confiscated. Also have wine in a cube size box that packs well. No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be. Just remember, they have bags for 3000 people they are tyring to get off the dock, organzied and up to the rooms. You bag might be searched at the airport, but not on the ship. If your worried, put a lock on when you arrive at the port before surrendering to ships personnel.

Archived