two days at Rome

carraizo99

Can someone tell me why the Freedom spends two days at the end of the cruise in the port of Rome?????????? carraizo99

I think it they planned it that way so people could tour Rome from the ship instead of paying for a hotel.

Having been to Rome 20 years ago, I can tell you even 2 days is nowhere near enough to see everything, and it would be a waste to be there for a typical port visit. Not enough time to see anything. We were on the go for a week when we were there.

We are doing to Freedom 9/22/07 cruise, and plan two days pre-cruise to see Rome. Possibly, the last day can also be a Rome day, we're still debating what to do. We could take a train somewhere or just hang on the ship.

I'd prefer the convenience of being able to get on and off the ship over a sea day at the end of the cruise.

It will be perfect for those who are unable to plan for a pre- or post- cruise visit to Rome. They will have a lot of time to sightsee and can enjoy the evening in Rome, if they like.

We're considering renting a car, and driving to some of the nearby hilltowns, such as Orvieto and Civita di Bagneregio (of Rick Steve fame). I like that I won't have to worry about being back to the ship for sailaway - this makes me much more comfortable heading out on our own.

Another possibility, for those who choose not to go to Rome that day, is a visit to Ostia Antica (some say it rivals Pompeii) and then you could spend some time in Ostia, which is where Romans go if they want a day at the beach (think the Jersey shore, Italian style!)

Also, there are some nearby towns, such as Tarquina, which have famous Etruscan tombs and such.

We just got back from the Liberty last month and I have to say the only thing that has kept us for booking the new Freedom itinerary is the Rome thing. We've been home awhile and we're still discussing it, so I guess we haven't completely ruled it out, but I really wish they'd added another day somewhere else.

To get from the port to Rome is around 90 minutes. You spend the day in Rome and then spend 90 minutes getting back to the ship. It's the last day of the cruise so then comes the packing frenzy to get your bags outside your door on time. Depending on your post cruise plans the next morning its either another 90 minute trip into Rome for your post-cruise stay, a 60-90 minute trip into the airport, or whatever else you're doing. It just seems like a lot of back and forth.

Archived