Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

I will be taking my second cruise in February 2011. Here are a few things I intend to take with me based on my first cruise and the opinions of others:

A cafeteria style serving tray so I can take my food from point A to B

Rum runners for my own alcohol

Water bottle

Ear plugs

Binoculars

I will be taking my second cruise in February 2011. Here are a few things I intend to take with me based on my first cruise and the opinions of others:

A cafeteria style serving tray so I can take my food from point A to B << I don't think you need this since they have plenty of trays on the cruise ships.

Rum runners for my own alcohol

Water bottle

Ear plugs

Binoculars

Bring the over the door bag- it saved my cruise since I'm such a neat freak.... haha, my boyfriend was annoyed, but it was actually good at keeping things organized- and we used every one of the 30 or so pockets between the two of us.

• 3 weeks later...

i got thru the whole thread, omg bubbles and more bubbles what a wonderful idea i havent seen in any other places

ive crossed of clothespins for plastic clips and boca clips cuz i hate my towel falling down.

magazines great idea and easy to pack.extra lighter and altoids case awesome ideas.

glow sticks oh yes i will stock up just cuz. on another thread i read that walmart sells a tooth type repair kit very cheap in case you loose a filling get a tooth ache might be better for you than super glue.

i loved the candy and tip idea, and i just stocked up on cheap bags of candy at the commissary 1.75 for each one they are huge i can give them to everyone not all chocolate cuz some strange people dont like chocolate but we love them anyway.

walgreens has been selling 3packs of those new laundry sheets, everything in one and flat for 99cents, i will stock up a few of those and leave them for the crew, who i know have very little space. will remember gum too.

i know we dont need all this stuff but for me listing it and packing it and being able to surprise my kids with it and making something a little more for not much money sounds reasonable. i pick what i want from the lists and i file the things i dont need away.

on the really plus side, everyone for xmas here is getting stuff for their cruise i was gonna buy it anyway lolol life is good .

• 1 month later...
THis year we brought "Flat Daddy". We got all the crew involved as well. Made for a great and memorable trip. Video highlights of the wacky things Flat Daddy did are below.

That was too funny!!! It looks like you had an awesome time, and it got me even more excited for my first cruise ever in a few weeks!! Can I ask what camcorder you used, the video quality was great.

Take a used-up no-value gift card. The in-cabin safes need a card with a magnetic strip to open and close the safe. You couldn't use your credit card for this, as that is what you want in the safe.

I know this works on Carnival ships - I would guess other lines are similar.

There will be instructions in the room:

1. Activate the safe with the magnetic stripe card you have brought with you.

2. We stash that card underneath clothes in a dresses drawer.

3. Anytime you need to open/close safe, you must use that card.

4. We keep cash, credit cards, passports, and turned-off cellphones in the safe.

• Like 1

What a great thread! Here are a few ideas I haven't seen yet:

• A small ziplock baggie (or an ice bucket liner) to put the remote control into. The remote still works, and I don't worry about the fact that you CANNOT get a remote control clean.
  • I wouldn't have paid more than a few dollars for this, but I recently found some of those purse hooks at the Dollar Tree. You know, the idea is to hang your bag on the side of the dinner table instead of putting it on the floor. I bought two boxes (two to a box) and keep a couple in my purse just in case I need to use a public restroom that doesn't have a hook on the door. I also never leave home without a small package of toilet-seat covers and my purse-sized roll of TP. :o
  • I haven't done this, but I read somewhere that it's a good idea to wrap some emergency cash around the barrel of an ink pen. Then, if you lose your purse/ wallet, you'll at least have that.
  • This is just me, and others might not be interested- more for a hotel stay, but I usually research my destination and find the local major supermarket. Then I go to their website and order their 'loyalty' card (because I always want to save money- even on vacation) and a few $10 gift cards. If I have forgotten anything, I won't feel like I'm breaking into my vacation funds, and if I don't use it, I leave it for the housekeeping tip.

Keep the tips coming! I love this stuff!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
The best thing that I ever saw that someone brought (and I have to admit that I peeked down onto their balcony to see it) was that they had brought with them (obviously they had cruised many times before) a small line and clothespins. How sloppy and unorganized does the stateroom/suite get when there are wet clothes draped over the tub and shower? Definately something that I'll bring next cruise..They hung it very low on the balcony so it didn't obstruct the view or look sloppy!

love this one. all tips are great. but this one is my favorite. and how obvious but u don't think of it. i'll be packing one for sure! Thanks.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from my first cruise last weekend, and I overpacked in a HUGE way. Lesson learned: never bring more than you can carry! We had too many bags and it ended up being a source of stress for both my husband and I. Next time, I will underpack.

Here are some of the things I brought, and did not need

Waaay too many clothes. Next time - i will bring only my swimsuits, two outfits per day (one casual, one for dinner/drinks, my formal outfit, a sweater/hoody and that is IT!!!)

clothespins (the clothesline in the bathroom was just fine - we only had our suits and my coverup to hang dry)

wrinkle releaser (there are irons in the launderettes)

14 pairs of shoes (yes, that's right, including 6 pairs of flip flops)

slippers (i just wore my flip flops in the cabin anyway)

2 bottles hand sanitizer (you don't need it on the ship, there are dispensers everywhere. Just keep one in your purse for the ports)

febreze (the room smelled fine!)

tweezers (duh - i had my eyebrows done before i left, why did i bring tweezers??)

nail clippers (double duh, see above)

Nighlight (there are reading lamps attached to the beds)

multi-plug/extension cord (there were more than enough outlets)

cell phone

calculator

highlighter

waaay too many cosmetics. )I didn't use half of what I brought. I hardly wore makeup the whole time)

first aid kit (maybe we were just lucky not to need this time, i still might bring next time)

book (see below, i just read magazines)

Here are some of the things I did bring, and was glad to have

yoga pants, hoodie and running shoes for travel days (the best!!!)

lots of jewellery to accessorize (I even wore with my suit and coverup)

two cameras (this was great - not having to ask my husband to hand me the camera all the time)

extra camera batteries

ziploc bags (used them the whole time - all sizes. Especially good for keeping my jewellery organized)

coffee travellers

extra sunglasses

magazines/reading glasses (i bought a book and didnt' crack it once)

gravol (i did get a bit seasick at first but it was fine)

advil

big beach bag (actually i had two)

small knapsack for my husband (VERY important or else you might end up carrying everything in your purse)

small wallet (just big enough for my s&s card and some cash)

plastic pouch that contained a couple of pens, our cruise documents, photocopies of our passports and drivers licence (they do ask for this in some ports)

corkscrew (we brought more than two bottles of wine and it was fine!)

After sun spray

Self-tanner (great for blending in those blotchy areas I always seem to get where i missed the sunscreen. I use Neutrogena Build-a_tan and it's the best)

I just returned from my first cruise last weekend, and I overpacked in a HUGE way. Lesson learned: never bring more than you can carry! We had too many bags and it ended up being a source of stress for both my husband and I. Next time, I will underpack.

Here are some of the things I brought, and did not need

Waaay too many clothes. Next time - i will bring only my swimsuits, two outfits per day (one casual, one for dinner/drinks, my formal outfit, a sweater/hoody and that is IT!!!)

clothespins (the clothesline in the bathroom was just fine - we only had our suits and my coverup to hang dry)

wrinkle releaser (there are irons in the launderettes)

14 pairs of shoes (yes, that's right, including 6 pairs of flip flops)

slippers (i just wore my flip flops in the cabin anyway)

2 bottles hand sanitizer (you don't need it on the ship, there are dispensers everywhere. Just keep one in your purse for the ports)

febreze (the room smelled fine!)

tweezers (duh - i had my eyebrows done before i left, why did i bring tweezers??)

nail clippers (double duh, see above)

Nighlight (there are reading lamps attached to the beds)

multi-plug/extension cord (there were more than enough outlets)

cell phone

calculator

highlighter

waaay too many cosmetics. )I didn't use half of what I brought. I hardly wore makeup the whole time)

first aid kit (maybe we were just lucky not to need this time, i still might bring next time)

book (see below, i just read magazines)

Here are some of the things I did bring, and was glad to have

yoga pants, hoodie and running shoes for travel days (the best!!!)

lots of jewellery to accessorize (I even wore with my suit and coverup)

two cameras (this was great - not having to ask my husband to hand me the camera all the time)

extra camera batteries

ziploc bags (used them the whole time - all sizes. Especially good for keeping my jewellery organized)

coffee travellers

extra sunglasses

magazines/reading glasses (i bought a book and didnt' crack it once)

gravol (i did get a bit seasick at first but it was fine)

advil

big beach bag (actually i had two)

small knapsack for my husband (VERY important or else you might end up carrying everything in your purse)

small wallet (just big enough for my s&s card and some cash)

plastic pouch that contained a couple of pens, our cruise documents, photocopies of our passports and drivers licence (they do ask for this in some ports)

corkscrew (we brought more than two bottles of wine and it was fine!)

After sun spray

Self-tanner (great for blending in those blotchy areas I always seem to get where i missed the sunscreen. I use Neutrogena Build-a_tan and it's the best)

Thanks for this list, I have read all the "extras" to bring and wondered how many suitcases people were packing.... I do have a question about clothing for dinner - I know on formal nights it is shirt/tie/jacket, but on the non-formal nights in the MDR what were the men and women wearing? We are sailing on Royal in 2 weeks and we have the "formal attire", now what to pack for the rest of the nights? Thank you and hope you had a great cruise....

• Like 1

I saw a variety of attire in the main dining room. Some people were completely casual, some dressed up. Most men wore casual pants like dockers or slacks, golf shirts or shirt with collar. The women were either in capris, slacks and nice top or dresses. My group liked to dress for dinner as we don't get out that often! One night i just didn't feel like it so I wore jean capris and a nice sweater and I did not feel out of place.

And I was actually a bit surprised, I thought formal night would have been more of a big deal. Almost everyone in the MDR dressed up, but really in the lounges and bars afterward etc - most people were dressed casually. Not sure if everyone just changed after dinner or didn't bother dressing.

:pI am from Canada and find that the staff love little bottles of Maple Syrup and Maple Syrup canidies that I buy from the locals here. Anything that is local from your home area is a hit. Nothing is the same when some factory trys to reproduce it.

love this one. all tips are great. but this one is my favorite. and how obvious but u don't think of it. i'll be packing one for sure! Thanks.. :)

This didn't reference the post that was quoted, but it was about bringing clothes line and pins to hang laundry on the balcony. For a very good reason ships ask that you not hang laundry on the balcony. It can be a very real fire hazzard if someone from above decides to flick a burning cigarette butt over the side of the ship. Not to mention that the ship would start to look like the Clampetts are sailing on the ship. We just use the laundry service (just a few things is really not that much money), some ships have laundry rooms with dryers. I wash only my underthings in the sink and there is a clothesline in the shower. Wash in the morning, dry by that evening.

Think carefully about every "thing" you pack, make sure you really need it. You are not going camping and the cabins have plenty of storage if you utilize the space provided. I know people are well intentioned, but these lists get so carried away. On our first cruise I took these suggestions seriously and not only took way too much luggage to accomodate the "extras", I spent a fortune on junk I never used and eventually threw away or into the Goodwill bag.

We have never used a hamper, post it notes, over-the-door shoe hanger (bought it, got rid of it), thermal cups, highlighter pens, etc...

We have used and always take a tap light for the bathroom (rude to be awakened in the middle of the night by the bright light of the bathroom), a short extension cord, a small battery powered alarm clock and a very small first aid kit with typical remedies and a few bandaids. These items are even used in hotel rooms and are a permanent part of our always packed carry on.

We learned the hard way to always take one cell phone, we don't use it to chat with friends at home while on the trip, but it is essential to call for shuttles, directions to hotel, check with family once during the week and most of all, if you get stranded at the airport you can call the airline rather than wait in line. All of this has proven over and over again to be good choices for our "extras".

So take only essentials that will enhance your vacation and leave the gimmicky things at home.

Happy Ks writes some very important, yet pertinent points. Every one has different needs and/or wants on a cruise. Over the door hanger? I LOVE using mine, as sit keeps the bath room neat. Hi-liter? Works for me! Post it notes? sometimes.

Find what works for you. I'm sure we would all get a big laugh if we could see inside other folks' suitcases to see what they bring! Maybe even get some ideas for ourselves!

Happy sailing everyone!

Happy Ks writes some very important, yet pertinent points. Every one has different needs and/or wants on a cruise. Over the door hanger? I LOVE using mine, as sit keeps the bath room neat. Hi-liter? Works for me! Post it notes? sometimes.

Find what works for you. I'm sure we would all get a big laugh if we could see inside other folks' suitcases to see what they bring! Maybe even get some ideas for ourselves!

Happy sailing everyone!

I've never understood why some people drag along a bunch of decorations for their doors, or have the room decorated with streamers or balloons or (unless in a suite) floral arrangements. I think I like simple and uncomplicated, nothing to duck under while trying to make it through the cabin.

But when we have had neighbors use decorations a few times, it is a bit easier to find our cabin ;)

I will admit that we used our over-the-door shoe holder once, when we booked a cabin with our 2 kids. It was used on the outside of the bathroom door, to hold things like sunglasses, flip flops, sun visors and the stacks of paper "news" and ads the cruise ships give out. Plus it was handy for our seapass cards.

That was the cruise we learned to never book our children into the cabin with us and get them a cabin across the hall...two bathrooms and we didn't have to live for a week with their clutter ;)

As we move along with technology, I am now able to leave books behind (Kindle) and now my DVD player and DVD's/music CD's (Ipod touch). My Ipod touch also contains a lot of other information for me so I don't have to drag along a bunch of documents or information that we used to bring with us.

Packing has certainly changed in the last 2 years or so having to pay a fee for luggage with most airlines. We're now having to evaluate our packing habits more than we ever thought possible. I sell luggage part time and the one most important feature for people these days is the weight of the case. The disappointment is that most lightweight luggage is not very durable in comparison to older, heavier pieces, but the luggage companies are working on solutions.

In the mean time, I'd rather carry less in a more durable suitcase and leave the "stuff" I can do without at home. Every ounce counts.

This is more of a good idea than something to bring. When we have to drive to a cruise port or to LAX we always go in the day before. This of course means that suitcases have to be hauled to and from the car which can be a huge hassle.

When we flew to Tahiti with 2 small kids years ago my Mom and I came up with a game plan of packing a pre trip suitcase just for that segment of the trip. The suitcases for the main part of the trip stay neat and pretty. I purchase all new items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, deoderant,ect for the main suitcases. Then the dirty clothes and extra stuff from the pre-trip stay back with the car.

On our trip we had my MIL, my BIL, DH, myself and 2 small kids. We get to the hotel near LAX and my MIL had my poor DH hauling 3 HUGE suitcases to her room because she needed it all. :D She was so disorganized that she wasn't sure what things were in each suitcase. Of course she just had to have her stuff first and right NOW!

When DH got down to the car he looked overwhelmed as he started grabbing the rest of the suitcases. I stopped and told him that we only needed the one medium sized suitcase. He looked at me like I was nuts, but was more than happy to comply. I got a big kiss for being so organized inspite of the fact that I was packing for 4 and MIL was packing for 1.

There was only one or two items that had to be packed in one of the main suitcases for the flight, my DH shaver and a pair of shoes. Everything else was ready to go or was to stay in the car.

Someone already suggested mailing postcards to yourself from each port with a note about the day/port--a sort of short travel journal. This is a variation on that idea. We try to write at least one postcard and sometimes two or three for each day of the trip; we get them in port or sometimes on the ship or both, and mail them in the next port, if possible. If it's too much hassle to mail them ourselves we just post them from the ship, which may mean they don't go out until the cruise is over. We bring pre-printed mailing labels to mail them with.

Once they've all arrived, we put them in order, making sure we have a front and back "cover" postcard--usually either of the ship or the departure port city--and then we take them to a copy center (like Kinko's) and pay about $5 to have them coil bound. Voila! Instant travel journal!

We've done this many times now, and have learned that it works best if you try to find postcards that are generally the same size, but even that doesn't matter too much. It's just so much fun, and so much easier!, to pull out the little booklet and relive those cruise moments rather than having to find a bunch of loose postcards.

We started out trying to carry everything but the kitchen sink and as another posted, didn't have much room left for clothes. Here are our must have items and why:

Must Haves:

(1)Downy Wrinkle Relief - Any wrinkles that don't steam out from hanging in the bathroom get zapped out with this miracle invention!

(2)Travel-Size Baby Powder - Makes the sand stuck on you go away.

(3)Zip-Lock Bags - Voted Most Valued. We pack everything from jewelry to shoes in these. Unpacking, finding things when getting ready is a snap and saves room in luggage. We wipe the drawers out with an antiseptic wipe and toss them in, makes getting ready and the dreaded last night packing a breeze. Protects photos you buy from any moisture or damage. We buy every size from snack to 2-1/2 gal (shoes, shorts, tops).

(4)OTC meds in travel packets: Tums, pepto, neosporin, band-aids, benadryl, cold caps, imodium, dramamine, advil...you get the idea. I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible chest cold. Shops on ship were closed, and we were docked in Dominica. What a bummer to spend you time looking for a pharmacy and then not finding ANYTHING you recognize.

(5)Plastic Clothes Pins and tiny sewing kit: For drying swimsuits on balcony. Prevents it from flying from your balcony to the balcony on the ship docked next to you, or out to sea in the middle of the night.

(6)Copies of passport, DL and Credit Cards: Obvious reasons

(7)Charger for phone, MP3, etc. and small extension cord.

(8) Lots of $1 for tips.

Things we stopped carrying:

(1) duct tape - If we have something that requires it, we found guest relations can help us.

(2) Over-the-door organizer: If there are 4 in a cabin, maybe we would, but with 2 to a cabin, there's plenty of room to designate a drawer or shelf for those things..again in the clear zip-locks to make finding them a breeze.

(3) Walkie-Talkies: These were more of a pain in the X to carry around and keep up with. We leave a phone message, designate a couple of spots where we regularly hang out or leave a note.

(4)Large Thermal mugs: We kept leaving them around the ship and then didn't want to drink out of them after we found them (ugh.who knows what had been happening to them. Besides, we found our drinks rarely had time to sit in the mug before we gulped them down.

(5) Power strip - Overkill

(6) Pop-up Hamper - Zip-locks replaced it. We toss the dirty clothes into zip-locks.

(7) laundry supplies - I'm on vacation. I use the laundry services of the ship.

(8) Highlight - If it's important I won't forget it.

(9) An extra piece of luggage to carry all these extras.

Some need the above and can't travel w/o them. We just found more and more items that never got used. We've lost toenails, carried around bruises and needed ben-gay from carrying all the luggage that weighed more than we did trying to stuff everything we owned into the suitcases like we were refugees. We now travel much lighter and if you see us with a few wrinkles, rest assured that after a few days of eating everything in sight, we will "flesh out" those wrinkles in our clothing as soon as we put them on.