Are the passports running way behind yet?

HarleyGirl

I went to the government passport website today and it still says that if you order a passport with regular fee it will arrive within six weeks and if you expedite it for an extra $60 it will arrive in two weeks. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced any major delays recently due to everyone trying to get them by Dec. 31. Here is my problem: I have a cruise November 13, for which I was going to use my birth certificate and DL. Well, I am going on another one March 1, 2007. I have to send the birth cert. with the application for the passport and I'm wondering if I will get it all back in time for the November 13 cruise. I cannot wait until after the November cruise to order the passport because it might not get done in time for March 1. If I send it in this week, that will give me about 14 weeks before I need the birth cert back--is that going to be long enough or am I in a pickle? Thanks for the feedback. I've got to get this ball rolling! I just planned the March cruise in the past couple of days or I would've done this all sooner.

You should be fine sending them out now and getting them back in time. We sent our applications in sometime around June 10th and got the passports back ten days later. Without paying the extra fee. That is out here in Southern California, can't say what the rest of the country is doing time wise. but, if you don't get it in a few weeks go ahead and send out for new birth certificates just to be on the safe side if you want to. I don't really think it is necessary. Have fun:)

Mike

You have more than enough time, either before your first cruise or between the two.

The passport offices have always been busy, and even though travelers are going to need one by 12/31/06 that does not mean that the delay is going to get a lot longer.

People that travel on a regular basis already have passports. While we CC'ers like to think that there is going to be a huge rush, the real truth is that most people in this country DO NOT travel and will still never get a passport.

There will be some vacation people needing passports, but there is more likely to be a big rush before next summer when the kids are out of school than during the winter when the majority of travelers are older and more travel savvy.

That's great! It makes me feel a little better! Thanks for answering.

HarleyGirl,

Keep in mind that was in CA. New Orleans is still running behind from being shut down from Katrina and its aftermath. Plus you add the influx from the new passport requirement and you can see why there is a backlog.

Dave

You should have time. I applied a month ago and am waiting for it still. Will start to worry if I don't see it by the end of August. I haven't checked on line for the status because I don't need it until Jan. Good luck and enjoy your two cruises.

I sent for my son's May 23rd for our trip to Cancun. I was cutting it very close but it was a last minute vacation. I got it exactly 6 weeks later. I had already decided if it didn't come 1 week before we left I was going to get another BC. You should have no trouble getting it before your Nov. cruise at all.

So, because I live in Louisiana, my passport will definitely be processed in New Orleans? I wasn't aware of that, but I guess I never really thought about it. I will be sending it off from a Baton Rouge facility. When we ordered our birth certificates from Vitalcheck.com a couple of months ago, we got them ASAP and I think at least my husband's came from N.O. Mine was from Arkansas so that didn't count. I know the case used to be that you had to go to N.O. to apply for your passport but now they have facilities all around my area.

Thanks to everyone for responding. Everybody is so helpful on this board!

Checked this morning and it said my passport should arrive around July 17. Applied in June, so based on this and other posts I think you have plenty of time. The only problem I had was the photo (Ughhhhhhh!).:eek: Needless to say I'm not showing off my passport to anyone!:mad:

Anyone else with a horrible passport photo? Mine is worse than my driver's license and I didn't think that was possible.

So, because I live in Louisiana, my passport will definitely be processed in New Orleans? I wasn't aware of that, but I guess I never really thought about it. I will be sending it off from a Baton Rouge facility. When we ordered our birth certificates from Vitalcheck.com a couple of months ago, we got them ASAP and I think at least my husband's came from N.O. Mine was from Arkansas so that didn't count. I know the case used to be that you had to go to N.O. to apply for your passport but now they have facilities all around my area.

Thanks to everyone for responding. Everybody is so helpful on this board!

HarleyGirl,

Acceptance facilities include many Federal, state and probate courts, post offices, some public libraries and a number of county and municipal offices. There are also 13 regional passport agencies, and 1 Gateway City Agency, which serve customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel.

It is the Regional Passport agencies that actually process and issue the passport. For our area, that agency is in New Orleans.

Dave

Luckily for me, I work from home so nobody knows that I lurk in the boards all day when I should be working! haha

Yeah, Jetskier, I figured that would be my luck with it getting processed in N.O. but that's okay. It sounds like 14 weeks will still give me enough time and if all else fails I can always just order another BC for the November trip. I'm so excited!!! I'm already working on about 15 lists--what to pack--carry-on junk--what to do at each port--etc.

Checked this morning and it said my passport should arrive around July 17. Applied in June, so based on this and other posts I think you have plenty of time. The only problem I had was the photo (Ughhhhhhh!).:eek: Needless to say I'm not showing off my passport to anyone!:mad:

Anyone else with a horrible passport photo? Mine is worse than my driver's license and I didn't think that was possible.

I just renewed my passport in May, this year. And, was I ever happy to get rid of the old one! I may have been 10 years younger (and at my age - that's a lot!), but the photo was so bad...I was clearing customs in San Juan one year, coming from the Caribbean somewhere, and the Immigration guy at passport control kept looking at the picture, then back at me, with a little smirk on his face. He said "so, you have to actually carry this picture for 10 years, eh?" That's how bad is was.:eek:

I may have grey hair now, and a few more wrinkles, but at least the picture looks like me and I don't look like a recent escapee from a maximum security prison somewhere! HA!:p

My sons papers for his passport was sent Feb. 28th. 6wks later we received a letter stating that we needed to write a note stating he could get a passport. Plus they needed a copy of our drivers licences. They said that the address didn't match Ok so I made a mistake. I sent it in . About 5wks later I checked on it and they said that they were working on it. Didn't receive it. I called the 1st of may and they said that we would receive it by the end of May. Nothing!!! Called again and the said that they just started working on it on the 30 of May. and I should receive it no later than the 16th of June. My son was going to the Bahamas on a science field study and the school wanted everyone to have a passport. They were to leave on the 23rd of June. The school was collecting the passports on the 14th of June. He received his passport on the 10th of June. And was able to hand it in.. So if you are thinking about waiting to get your passport DON'T!!!! get it now!!!:cool:

My family received their new passports in exactly 5 weeks. They applied on June 8th and received them on July 13th. I sent my passport in for renewal on the same day, but I haven't received it yet. 6 weeks will be July 22nd, and the website states I should receive mine around that time. I am surprised a renewal would take longer than a new application. :)

Archived